Should I worry about the internet?

chevyman29

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Throttle. They can't completely block access to sites.

Posted via Android Central App
How in the world can it be legal to throttle certain sites whenever im already paying for a certain connection speed in the first place ? I mean wouldn't that be the same as the service provider charging twice for the same service ?? example we stream a lot of net flix we pay for I think a 25mb connection speed . How in the hell can they turn around and throttle Netflix and negatively impact my service at the same time ???? what am I missing here ?

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
How in the world can it be legal to throttle certain sites whenever im already paying for a certain connection speed in the first place ? I mean wouldn't that be the same as the service provider charging twice for the same service ?? example we stream a lot of net flix we pay for I think a 25mb connection speed . How in the hell can they turn around and throttle Netflix and negatively impact my service at the same time ???? what am I missing here ?

" On January 14, 2014, the DC Circuit Court determined in the case of*Verizon v. Federal Communications Commission that the FCC has no authority to enforce Network Neutrality rules, since service providers are not identified as "common carriers".It did, however, agree that FCC has the ability to regulate broadband and may craft more specific rules that stop short of identifying service providers as common carriers, according to lobbyist group Public Knowledge.The likelihood of this occurring under new FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler is low, as he has stated in the past that he is not opposed to providers receiving consideration to prioritize certain traffic."

More here:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Net_neutrality_in_the_United_States

ahawkua

Banned
Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
" On January 14, 2014, the DC Circuit Court determined in the case of*Verizon v. Federal Communications Commission that the FCC has no authority to enforce Network Neutrality rules, since service providers are not identified as "common carriers".It did, however, agree that FCC has the ability to regulate broadband and may craft more specific rules that stop short of identifying service providers as common carriers, according to lobbyist group Public Knowledge.The likelihood of this occurring under new FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler is low, as he has stated in the past that he is not opposed to providers receiving consideration to prioritize certain traffic."

More here:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Net_neutrality_in_the_United_States

So it's for sure that they can't block websites or apps?

cordoni

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
No need to worry and here is why.

If the telecom operators all get together and COLLUDE on how to run their networks for maximum profit, it is already illegal. Big time illegal. This is what apple did with ebboks, and we all remember the results of that for them.

So if we rule collusion out, that leaves open competition. Let's say comcast, cox, and the other big net providers all start throttling or blocking. What happens, angry customers. What are angry customers, an opportunity for a new competitor.

You would see new internet providers startup specifically targeting the disgruntled portion of customers with the throttled providers. Google fiber is already starting new competition.

This is exactly what we see tmobile and sprint doing to target customers at verizon and att who want unlimited data.

So don't fret. As long as we have anticollusion laws and a free market, the freedom of the web will continue to exist.

ahawkua

Banned
Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
No need to worry and here is why.

If the telecom operators all get together and COLLUDE on how to run their networks for maximum profit, it is already illegal. Big time illegal. This is what apple did with ebboks, and we all remember the results of that for them.

So if we rule collusion out, that leaves open competition. Let's say comcast, cox, and the other big net providers all start throttling or blocking. What happens, angry customers. What are angry customers, an opportunity for a new competitor.

You would see new internet providers startup specifically targeting the disgruntled portion of customers with the throttled providers. Google fiber is already starting new competition.

This is exactly what we see tmobile and sprint doing to target customers at verizon and att who want unlimited data.

So don't fret. As long as we have anticollusion laws and a free market, the freedom of the web will continue to exist.

Will we always have that though?

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
For instance here where I live the only options are Comcast Verizon and at&t.

You don't have to worry right now at all. No one does, it will be a while to anything happens and if it does, you'll know about it.

ahawkua

Banned
Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
You don't have to worry right now at all. No one does, it will be a while to anything happens and if it does, you'll know about it.

Yeah true. I'm just hoping that if it does happen that people will stand up against it and get it to change. Hopefully the new rules for neutrality will be done by then.

ahawkua

Banned
Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

Do you think that the new net neutrality rules will be done before anything major will happen? Also will people stand up against isps if they try something?

ahawkua

Banned
Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
can an ISP block websites or apps?

Can an internet service provider block a website or app? Net neutrality is gone so are isps aloud to do that, or is net neutrality just for like throttling internet speeds?

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Re: can an ISP block websites or apps?

Can an internet service provider block a website or app? Net neutrality is gone so are isps aloud to do that, or is net neutrality just for like throttling internet speeds?

I think its more like favoring a website if it pays the ISP some money and in return the ISP can speed up the connection to that website or service. On the other hand of a website or service doesn't pay then, that ISP can "slow/throttle" that connection until they pay up.

ahawkua

Banned
Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Re: can an ISP block websites or apps?

I think its more like favoring a website if it pays the ISP some money and in return the ISP can speed up the connection to that website or service. On the other hand of a website or service doesn't pay then, that ISP can "slow/throttle" that connection until they pay up.

So net neutrality is basically all about internet speeds

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davisongeorge