Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Unicorn Rancher
  • 1 Post By JeffDenver
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    320 Global Posts

Default Silly Nexus Question

Hey all. I'm on Verizon and I have always enjoyed using stock/CM Roms. I didn't do enough homework when I bought my S4 last year because I didn't know the bootloader was locked down tighter than a drum. My HTC Incredible and Rezound were both running CM Roms. It is really disappointing that I cannot get a Nexus device because of my carrier. My wife gets a corporate discount for using Verizon and they are the best coverage hands down in my area so I'm stuck with using them. However, I know that Moto X, HTC One, Galaxy S4 all have Google Play Editions so....would there ever be a Google Edition Nexus for Verizon?? Or did Verizon burn that Nexus bridge already? I'm eligible for an upgrade but I'm waiting to see what comes down the line this year.

Default Re: Silly Nexus Question

A carrier-locked GPE?
    someguy01234 likes this.

I wouldn't think so since a Nexus device already is a "Google Edition" in a way since Nexus devices are updated directly from Google.

The difference in the HTC One, S4 and their Google edition brothers is the "normal" versions are updated after the carrier does what they want (add bloat) and release it... Versus the google editions one being like Nexus devices where they don't have carrier bloat and the software is controlled directly by Google.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    320 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    I wouldn't think so since a Nexus device already is a "Google Edition" in a way since Nexus devices are updated directly from Google.

The difference in the HTC One, S4 and their Google edition brothers is the "normal" versions are updated after the carrier does what they want (add bloat) and release it... Versus the google editions one being like Nexus devices where they don't have carrier bloat and the software is controlled directly by Google.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Ahh, gotcha. Like I said, silly question. Thanks for the information though. Helps me understand that a little better.

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by flybub View Post
    Ahh, gotcha. Like I said, silly question. Thanks for the information though. Helps me understand that a little better.

Posted via Android Central App
    I recommend considering the Developer Edition of the Verizon Moto X. It's an excellent phone on its own right and come with stock Android. Since it' a dev edition you can easily unlock it and root without losing warranty. It's not possible to unlock bootloader for the normal Verizon version.

PS. Google edition and dev edition still doesn't qualify as Nexus devices, but close, you still have more freedom to modify a Nexus with less hassles or loops to go through, and get direct updates from Google. http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/12...-and-pitfalls/

Global Posts
    3,400 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.2

You should check out a developer edition Moto X for Verizon.

Beamed via my Nexus 7 from the AC Forums app.

Is there anyway to buy the google eddition of a device through a carrier?

Quote Originally Posted by rrballer11 View Post
    Never. The whole concept of carriers selling phones is having their own branding and locking the sim to their network, and with their software preloaded, so no, it will never happen. It's true that T-Mobile does sell Nexus though, but at a rip off price.

Global Posts
    2,657 Global Posts
    ROM
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post

They're not controlled by Google. They SHOULD be, but they're not. The vendors do have to update them themselves.

Google Experience devices are Google-sanctioned Android devices that, while not carrying the Google Nexus branding, still ship with a 'stock' build of the operating system modified only to cater for device-specific hardware features. Updates for these devices are delivered by Google (bypassing carriers), but are supplied by the original device manufacturer.

Google Experience device - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    - - - Updated - - -

Nope. At least not yet.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by someguy01234 View Post
    Never. The whole concept of carriers selling phones is having their own branding and locking the sim to their network, and with their software preloaded, so no, it will never happen. It's true that T-Mobile does sell Nexus though, but at a rip off price.
    Its only 30 bucks more? then on google site.

Global Posts
    8,082 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

- - - Updated - - -

Its only 30 bucks more? then on google site.
    No. T-Mobile sell the Nexus 5 16GB for $450. It's $350 on Google Play

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan

Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    No. T-Mobile sell the Nexus 5 16GB for $450. It's $350 on Google Play

On their website it says " $396 full retail price " maybe 450 for the 32 GB
    Last edited by rrballer11; 03-05-2014 at 09:13 PM.

Global Posts
    8,082 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

On their website it says " $396 full retail price " maybe 450 for the 32 GB
    They don't sell the 32GB. Either way, it's still $50 more.
    Maybe they lowered the price...

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan

Global Posts
    2,657 Global Posts
    ROM

I don't blame T-Mobile for that. Not everyone has the credit or cash to buy a phone retail...T-Mobile gives them the option to make payments. I used it to buy my Nexus 4 and I totally appreciated it.

There is no downside to carriers offering to finance Nexus phones, even at "ripoff" prices. remember, the $400 you paid Google for that phone was not the real price. That was just the price Google charged you. They ate the cost for it...carriers don't have that option. T-Mobile is selling you the phone at the "real" price. And they are doing you a huge favor by financing you at zero percent interest.
    Unicorn Rancher likes this.

Dude just buy a Nexus 5. Its awesome.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,930 Global Posts
    ROM
    What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by JeffDenver View Post
    I don't blame T-Mobile for that. Not everyone has the credit or cash to buy a phone retail...T-Mobile gives them the option to make payments. I used it to buy my Nexus 4 and I totally appreciated it.

There is no downside to carriers offering to finance Nexus phones, even at "ripoff" prices. remember, the $400 you paid Google for that phone was not the real price. That was just the price Google charged you. They ate the cost for it...carriers don't have that option. T-Mobile is selling you the phone at the "real" price. And they are doing you a huge favor by financing you at zero percent interest.
    Was Google's "subsidization" confirmed?

Global Posts
    2,657 Global Posts
    ROM

Quote Originally Posted by dmmarck View Post
    Was Google's "subsidization" confirmed?
    Yeah. T-Mobile confirmed it when they were forced to explain why their Nexus is more expensive. This was about 6 weeks ago I think.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-576...t-google-play/
    Thanked by: