Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By Ry
  • 1 Post By sting7k
  • 2 Post By JeffDenver
  • 2 Post By Ealevenish
  • 1 Post By Geodude074
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Android Devices vs. Laptops [Tech Geeks]

I'm gearing this more towards Android power users -- not gamers, not any "heavy" user like that. I'm referring to techie users, programmers, people who do things online all the time, but nothing like gaming and such. What do you prefer, Android devices or a laptop? I know lots of programmers who say "I don't like paying a lot for little memory for huge devices. My device is always on me, I'm a root user and can program on my phone or tablet. The screen size may be the only annoying thing, otherwise I haven't touched a laptop." I'm looking for these types of people. What do you think? Can I replace my laptop with my Android device?

Default Re: Android Devices vs. Laptops [Tech Geeks]

You could maybe look into an Android tablet to see how you'd like it. It all depends on your needs.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

You can also hook up to your tv to use it as a monitor with a bluetooth keyboard if you wanted to.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using AC Forums mobile app
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,838 Global Posts

For productivity, I'd prefer a laptop running Chrome OS, Windows, or OS X for one simple reason: multiple windows.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KTU84P, KitKat 4.4.4)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
    UJ95x likes this.

Global Posts
    3,367 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.2

Laptop always, tablets are toys.

Beamed via my Nexus 7 from the AC Forums app.
    A895 likes this.

Lol Android for power users?

You can't create and host your own server on an Android device.
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,480 Global Posts
    ROM
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

Quote Originally Posted by blakebarkertech View Post
    I'm gearing this more towards Android power users -- not gamers, not any "heavy" user like that. I'm referring to techie users, programmers, people who do things online all the time, but nothing like gaming and such. What do you prefer, Android devices or a laptop? I know lots of programmers who say "I don't like paying a lot for little memory for huge devices. My device is always on me, I'm a root user and can program on my phone or tablet. The screen size may be the only annoying thing, otherwise I haven't touched a laptop." I'm looking for these types of people. What do you think? Can I replace my laptop with my Android device?
    For productivity, I want a real laptop. Meaning Windows 8. For email and office stuff and photoshop...there are no Android devices that touch a Win8 laptop yet.

I do love Android, but it is not nearly ready to replace a Windows laptop yet. Android devices are a good stopgap if I am feeling lazy or am on the go and don't want to lug around a laptop. But they are a bandaid, not a replacement.

(I say this as an ASUS Transformer tf300 user...tablet + keybaord is NOT a laptop...not even close)
    Synycalwon and A895 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffDenver View Post
    For productivity, I want a real laptop. Meaning Windows 8. For email and office stuff and photoshop...there are no Android devices that touch a Win8 laptop yet.

I do love Android, but it is not nearly ready to replace a Windows laptop yet. Android devices are a good stopgap if I am feeling lazy or am on the go and don't want to lug around a laptop. But they are a bandaid, not a replacement.

(I say this as an ASUS Transformer tf300 user...tablet + keybaord is NOT a laptop...not even close)
    Same sentiment here (17+ years in IT, so consider myself a geek! ). My Android phone (Note 2) and tablet (Note 10.1) are great for stop gap use (ex. simple tasks such as web browsing, e-mail, simple one off video, etc.). But when it comes to true multitasking and real productivity, my Windows laptop is hands down my go to device. With it, I can run a multitude of applications, including heavy video, all at the same time without any one of them pausing or skipping a beat. I can also generate responses much easier on a PC, compared to any mobile device, due to the full qwerty keyboard and numerous keyboard shortcuts, as well as full copy/paste (of virtually any type of content). Bottom line, I'm much more productive and get most things done a lot faster on a full PC.

Quote Originally Posted by Geodude074 View Post
    Lol Android for power users?

You can't create and host your own server on an Android device.
    Yes you can. Some people use their phone to host their website or email server. It's a Linux computer after all.

sent via tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    For productivity, I'd prefer a laptop running Chrome OS, Windows, or OS X for one simple reason: multiple windows.
    I also like the Chrome OS. Still a little bit raw, but it's going towards something good. Plus Linux (if you'll get a decent Chromebook and can install it) and it'll be a great laptop.
    Banned

Global Posts
    154 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blakebarkertech View Post
    What do you think? Can I replace my laptop with my Android device?
    If you want digital PROductivity you need the horsepower and versatility of a real PC. If you only need digital consumption and general digital horsing around then a tablet or even a smartphone is fine.

It's like car racing on a race track: sure you can do laps there with a Chevy Volt, but a purpose-built, specially tuned bespoke race car gets you (much) better results...

Looks better too!
    Last edited by Ealevenish; 03-14-2014 at 07:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ealevenish View Post
    If you want digital productivity you need the horsepower and versatility of a real PC. [...] It's like car racing on a race track: sure you can drive there with a Chevy Volt, but a purpose-built, specially tuned bespoke race car gets you better results...
    The two aren't mutually exclusive; for example, if a large majority of one's online activities take place on websites and web apps (e.g. content in the Chrome Web Store's "For Your Desktop" category), a device running the aforementioned Chrome OS might be a good fit. Sure, you'll still want a "real PC" to run more traditional desktop applications (gaming included), that necessity is declining. Software and hardware optimizations (that started with mobile devices or recent advancements in web standards) are making their way back into environments that weren't traditionally designed in such a way. This is an easy way to maintain services across more than one platform, and the recent addition of the Chrome App Launcher to Windows is a great example of how this is accomplished.

Android-Windows hybrid devices may answer this question for some, but that may not be an option soon. Chrome OS is an option, as is a standard Android tablet. If you go with the latter, you may want to look into an MHL adapter for connecting an external display. The new MHL 3.0 standard also includes support for both multiple and touch-enabled external displays.

Quote Originally Posted by Ealevenish View Post
    general digital horsing around
    I need to remember that one...

Global Posts
    219 Global Posts

Laptop has serial port, is able to telnet into anything. Tablet devices have too limited hardware connections.
    Banned

Global Posts
    154 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Calvin Lee3 View Post
    I would say Android Device because it does replace my TV, GPS, dashcam, camera and office document

Check out some of my video ...then you will know
    I watched that one, Calvin. Sure, it works. It does the job. But TBH quality- and production-value-wise it looks and sounds like a dedicated hobbyist's video, a vacation video. Hardly like a professional video presentation. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by sting7k View Post
    Laptop always, tablets are toys.

Beamed via my Nexus 7 from the AC Forums app.
    And laptops are large, heavy devices not meant to be carried everywhere.

Posted via Android Central App
    Banned

Global Posts
    154 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TgeekB View Post
    Really?
    Then why do laptops have batteries?

So? That doesn't change the facts. Oh and they are meant to be carried places, maybe not for a five year old but adults can do it.

Don't get me wrong tablets have their place but so do real computers.

Sent from my BEAST Note 3 using Tapatalk

Are you serious?

Posted via Moto X or Droid RAZR M on the Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by someguy01234 View Post
    Yes you can. Some people use their phone to host their website or email server. It's a Linux computer after all.

sent via tapatalk
    Really? So I can use my phone to create ASP.net sites, HTML5 sites, PHP, or Javascript sites?

I can use my phone to install Oracle or SQL Server and hold databases for users?

I can use my phone to potentially host dozens of clients who are connecting to my phone and running processor and memory intense tasks 24/7?
    A895 likes this.