Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Banned

I just got a Toshiba canvio 1 TB hard drive that has an internal shock sensor and ramp loading technology. I've seen that hard drives and external hard drives die quickly, is this true? And if so what's the point of getting one?

Posted via Android Central App
    Last edited by ahawkua; 03-11-2014 at 06:13 AM.

Default Re: will my hard external hard drive die?

I wouldn't say quickly but all hard drives will eventually die. It is just the nature of the beast.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Most external hard drives (like the one you have just received), are HDDs (Hard Disk Drive). It has moving mechanical parts, just like a regular hard drive in a computer, and just like a car. It won't last forever, but as long as you take care of it, eject it safely from every computer that you use (cut the power to it), you should be fine.

External Hard Drives are mainly used to back up data from a computer, transfer data like a flash drive, etc. Kind of like a big flash drive, but with moving parts. You can also get an external SSD (solid state drive) but those are more premium/cost more money.
    Banned

Global Posts
    154 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ahawkua View Post
    I just got a Toshiba canvio 1 TB hard drive that has an internal shock sensor and ramp loading technology. I've seen that hard drives and external hard drives die quickly, is this true? And if so what's the point of getting one?
    Quote Originally Posted by deejay_grizzly View Post
    Most external hard drives (like the one you have just received), are HDDs (Hard Disk Drive). It has moving mechanical parts, just like a regular hard drive in a computer, and just like a car. It won't last forever, but as long as you take care of it, eject it safely from every computer that you use (cut the power to it), you should be fine.

External Hard Drives are mainly used to back up data from a computer, transfer data like a flash drive, etc. Kind of like a big flash drive, but with moving parts. You can also get an external SSD (solid state drive) but those are more premium/cost more money.
    +1 for deejay_grizzly

so what's the point of getting one?
    For protection of your data, obviously.
    But since HDs do break I have 2. The second one as a backup of #1 (a.k.a. the grandfather-father-son scheme). Extra insurance.
    Why? Because your data is MUCH more valuable than your gear. Broken gear can be replaced. Lost data canNOT be replaced! It's unique.
    So never keep your data in just one 'place', like only on your phone or PC, because if that one 'place' breaks you're screwed.
    Last edited by Ealevenish; 03-11-2014 at 10:35 AM.

And if so what's the point of getting one?
    Because they're relatively cheap storage and there's little chance that two of them will die at the same time. So if you have your data on two drives, then if one breaks you still have the data.