Thinking of switching to Android from WP.. have two questions..

jkrc717

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
One of the best features on WP is linking contacts with social media. I like that their pictures update and show on my contacts. Does android do this?

Another thing about WP I really love are the live tiles. I know Android has widgets. I know nothing about widgets. What I like about live tiles is I can see my calendar appointment, it shows me who my missed call is, it shows me the last text message and it shows my newest email without having to click them. I'm not talking about toast either. Live weather updates, live info. Do widgets do these things?

Oh and does Android have a glance feature and double tap to wake up?

Sorry new questions just came to mind.

Switching because I value customization. I'm also tired of being behind with apps, overall technology and features. I'm missing a lot being on WP.

Oh, and I first tried an IPhone. I like nothing about the IPhone. I cannot understand why the IPhone is so popular. The IPhone is the worst phone I've ever owned. Give me back my BB 9900 over an IPhone all day! A switch on the exterior to turn off and on ringer? You kidding me?

WP smokes IPhone. I'm hoping Android smokes WP.

Thanks!

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
One of the best features on WP is linking contacts with social media. I like that their pictures update and show on my contacts. Does android do this?
I know for sure it does it with Facebook. I usually turn mine off because I hate that. I like using my own pictures and stuff.

Another thing about WP I really love are the live tiles. I know Android has widgets. I know nothing about widgets.
Widgets are like live tiles that can be any size and shape. They can change appearance and update information. The clock is a good example of a widget. Time and weather and temperature info change throughout the day on it.

What I like about live tiles is I can see my calendar appointment, it shows me who my missed call is, it shows me the last text message and it shows my newest email without having to click them. I'm not talking about toast either. Live weather updates, live info. Do widgets do these things?
Oh yeah, there are tons of widgets for that. Those are really basic things that have been done to death with widgets.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...s/details?id=com.anod.calendar&token=7uY2lMK9
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ps/details?id=com.citc.weather&token=IVEVnpIB
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...com.deselaers.gmailinboxwidget&token=HpXJ6R5a (Gmail itself probably has the best email widget IMO though)

Those are not the best ones, just average examples. Google Now is probably what you're really looking for, and that is built into vanilla android. Google now

Oh and does Android have a glance feature and double tap to wake up?
Tap to wake is a new feature on some phones. Others, like the Moto X, are always on and can accept voice commands without even doing anything to them.

Switching because I value customization. I'm also tired of being behind with apps, overall technology and features. I'm missing a lot being on WP.
WP doesn't suck, even though everyone (including me) likes to bag on it. It's just too late to the game. Had it evolved at the same time as iOS and Android it would have been very viable probably. But it'll be playing perpetual catch up now.

It's also a closed system, which is a bad thing. Because Apple has already mastered the closed system and is much better at marketing it...WP has no chance of competing with them.

eggantom

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
In several months Huawei will release a Windows/Android smartphone. Lets wait for it and see - maybe it'll be a good compromise. Or at least a first step towards perfection.
I also like WP smartphones, but I can't imagine switching to it from Android. It lacks too many apps!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Widgets can do what you described above, but you may have to install third party widgets from the play store. My note 3 has a quick glance feature where I can waive my hand over my phone and it will display notifications, time, and battery

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000