Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Phishing Scam

I received a phone call tonight (recorded message) from 800 697-9240 informing me that i should go to the website ATTforfree.com to claim my bill credits.
    I immediately knew this was a phishing scam when my browser informed me to not go to that website and i knew at&t would not call me from some random number.

Be careful out there dont get scammed. I am concerned however that the scammers have my new phone number.

Global Posts
    18,991 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Default Re: Phishing Scam

I would report it to AT&T. They might want to know that.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here

Global Posts
    3,943 Global Posts
    ROM
    Phoenix 1.6 Sense 5 4.2.2

Quote Originally Posted by DougW View Post
    I received a phone call tonight (recorded message) from 800 697-9240 informing me that i should go to the website ATTforfree.com to claim my bill credits.
    I immediately knew this was a phishing scam when my browser informed me to not go to that website and i knew at&t would not call me from some random number.

Be careful out there dont get scammed. I am concerned however that the scammers have my new phone number.
    They probably do. You might want to see if you can block that number.
    “Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who know only what to think.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

In September of 2014 comes the greatest tool to modify almost any HTC phone. Unlock bootloader, flash recovery, root, and more. Open sourced, powerful, powered by the cloud via SSL, and best of all, it's 100% free. All built by me. Get ready to rock!

4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Yes i did report it to abuse@att.net
    Banned

Global Posts
    154 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DougW View Post
    I am concerned however that the scammers have my new phone number.
    Don't be. They just randomly dial numbers from a range of thousands trying to get whoever picks up the phone to click on that website. Unless they mentioned your name specifically chances are extremely slim that they know that number is your number.

I simply never pick up ringing unknown numbers. So they automatically slip into my voicemail (which does not mention my name!). If it is important they will leave a message and I can call them back. Funnily – or not – they very rarely do leave a message...!
    Last edited by Ealevenish; 03-12-2014 at 06:26 AM.