Simply can't decide: ditch the iPhone 5S for a Nexus 5?

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Re: simply can't decide..

It is tough. If you think you won't want to customize too much I'd lean towards iOS. If you think you might appreciate a bigger screen and more choices in hardware down the road then android. One of the things I value about iGadgets is the UI consistency from phone to tablet but you'll get this with Nexus too and Samsung to a lesser extent.

Why not try both and keep the one you prefer?

{iRiidium} Technophile. 3 of 4 

Well, I own both since I do own a nexus 7.

I'm gonna go ahead and pick up the nexus 5. I think I'll appreciate the customizability and larger screen down the line. And if I don't like it, I'll still have the iPhone.

Does the nexus 5 have any performance or app crash issues?

sting7k

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site

I simply can't decide whether to ditch my iPhone 5S and pick up a nexus 5. I mean, there's a part of me that does want a open system and one that's customizable, but at the same time I really want a smooth, hitch free experience. I currently own a 2013 nexus 7 and I can't help but notice that its not as smooth and lag free as my ipad 4 or iPhone. I get these stalls when switching things, some app crashes, bits of lag and I keep getting key presses that don't register when I type on the keyboard.

I don't know if the new nexus 7 is just not the fastest thing available or what, but i was under the impression that it was one of the fastest tablets out there? And I'm honestly worried I'll get the same annoyances with a nexus 5. I can't tell if its the tech or just android itself. I did do a lot of factory restores on this device, but I don't know if that would cause software or hardware damage?

The things I really like about android are its customizability, its flexibility, and that I don't feel like I'm stuck buying a particular brand of hardware for all my stuff. Like, with iOS I feel like I need to then buy a mac!, iPad, apple TV, and etc. But with android, the services work well with pretty much anything. From PC to a Mac. But maybe this is just a perception issue for me.

I know no one can decide this but me, but do you guys have any advice?

IMO stick with your iPhone 5s. I share the same opinion as you about the Nexus 7. I'm probably selling it soon. My Moto X is better but it's still not as smooth as iOS. In fact, you should get the Moto X not the Nexus 5 if you get one. :)

The reports about iOS 7.1 are true. There was a bit of polish too to the UI in some areas.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

I have both 7.1 and 7.0.6 iOS devices. I don't notice a performance difference between the two but they're both very very very very fast and smooth performing. I love the the build quality and design of iGadgets but can see why a bigger screen phone may be attractive to some, especially those that don't have a tablet to go to when they want a larger screen.

0rbital  Halcyon

Ealevenish

Banned
Mar 10, 2014
Visit site

"[...] can see why a bigger screen phone may be attractive to some, especially those that don't have a tablet to go to when they want a larger screen."

Or those who can't squeeze a tablet into their pocket or purse, and don't like schlepping the damn thing around.

Tablets are portable. But mobile not so much!

Sent from my GT-N7000 using AC Forums mobile app

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

"[...] can see why a bigger screen phone may be attractive to some, especially those that don't have a tablet to go to when they want a larger screen."

Or those who can't squeeze a tablet into their pocket or purse, and don't like schlepping the damn thing around.

Tablets are portable. But mobile not so much!

Sent from my GT-N7000 using AC Forums mobile app

I don't often need a big screen when I'm out at the grocery store or mall or restaurant or wherever out and about. That's why for me, the iPhone's screen, as is, is just fine. Some want a big screen anytime they're interacting with their mobile devices no matter where they are. That's cool. I find that I like to be more discreet when out and about, so, for me the iPhone does just great and when I do want a bigger screen I've got two to choose from.

0rbital  Halcyon

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site

Does the nexus 5 have any performance or app crash issues?
No major ones that I have seen.

iOS actually has crashes all the time. Even iOS7. But it is designed to automatically re-launch the app when it happens, so crashes are camouflaged and people don't notice them. Android pops up a notice every time it happens though. I actually wish Android allowed me the option of doing it the iOS way.

Ealevenish

Banned
Mar 10, 2014
Visit site

iOS actually has crashes all the time. Even iOS7. But it is designed to automatically re-launch the app when it happens, so crashes are camouflaged and people don't notice them. Android pops up a notice every time it happens though. I actually wish Android allowed me the option of doing it the iOS way.

Hmmm. Sounds neat.
Sweet oblivion!
But unfortunately I've got this chronic predisposition that I need to know what happens to and with my personal efforts and data. Plus I've got this funny obsession with my constitutional and human rights. Mine and others'.
I think I'd hate knowing that lots of stuff is going on with my personal efforts and data behind the scenes but not knowing what it is that's done to and with it, and who's doing it.
Call me paranoid*.
But to my relief I'm not alone. There are at least millions of other Android users who use Android because of the control it gives them over their own stuff. My fellow paranoids! :D
Hey I'll bet you're in our club too! :D

This guy opened my eyes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsL6mKxtOlQ

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

You haven't much to lose by trying a Nexus 5 or Moto X. If you aren't happy with it you can sell it; you'll still be out some cash, but maybe you'll be settled for 6 months or a year, either way.

Sent from my LG-LG870 using Tapatalk 2

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site

But unfortunately I've got this chronic predisposition that I need to know what happens to and with my personal efforts and data.
For me it becomes annoying when I see it for the fourteenth time. I know the app is unstable after the first few times...I don't need to be reminded of it every few seconds.

I just want the option to turn it off.

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site

Probaly from a financial standpoint it wouldn't be the best move to buy the nexus 5. That money could be used towards repairing my car for instance. Or replacing my aging tv that's having picture problems.

chocochip9

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site

Well I know this response won't help much at all, but I was in the exact same situation as you but with my iPhone 5. I have tried countless android devices, always ended back with my iPhone for a different reason every time. 2 weeks ago I decided to try the Nexus 5 because the screen on my iPhone was just getting way to small for my eyes. After spending 2 weeks with the Nexus, I sold it and am back to my iPhone. I love the android operating system, don't get me wrong, but there is always something that drives me away. In this case, it was the Nexus's audio. I am a huge music listener on my phone and music on the Nexus was just too quiet even at max volume and sounded worse then my iPhone. Sigh, I guess I will never be happy until Apple releases a bigger phone. Anyway, try to consider ALL of the features of the Nexus before you make a decision, and I mean leave no stone unturned. Make sure you are 100% before pulling the trigger on it or you may end up like me. The Nexus 5, as fast the specs may be, STILL had the odd lag or stutter here and there. I always come back to iOS and appreciate the lag free experience every time. I just wish that android phones would optimize the OS better like Apple. The one thing I really enjoyed on the Nexus was the beautiful display. Man, it blew my iPhone out of the water. So clear, made retina display look pixelated lol.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

I am a huge music listener on my phone and music on the Nexus was just too quiet even at max volume and sounded worse then my iPhone

Are you talking about the external speaker or the headphone jack? I would agree that the N5 external speaker isn't high quality, but to be honest, I don't think I could fully enjoy music from the external speaker of any phone--how can you appreciate rich bass that way? If you're talking about using headphones, that's a little surprising to me, because I feel that I can reasonably pound my eardrums with a good set of earbuds.

chocochip9

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site

Are you talking about the external speaker or the headphone jack? I would agree that the N5 external speaker isn't high quality, but to be honest, I don't think I could fully enjoy music from the external speaker of any phone--how can you appreciate rich bass that way? If you're talking about using headphones, that's a little surprising to me, because I feel that I can reasonably pound my eardrums with a good set of earbuds.

Well I think the idevices have spoiled me regarding sound quality :( I will always compare other phones to them because they have set my standard of quality i guess. Not saying the N5's audio is HORRIBLE, but it just wasn't as great as i would have liked. The external speaker was noticeably more tinny and less bass rich than the iPhone, so OP if you are coming from a 5s you will notice it quickly. The audio through the headphones is not bad either, just the loudness that bothered me. I can pump up the tunes waay louder on my iPhone than i could on the N5 (i like to listen to music loud).

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site

I think it's mostly boredom. I know what iOS does and that it works well at those things. But android seems more exciting due to its constant news cycle, since there's always a new android device coming out or around the corner. With iPhone, there really only in the news cycle towards the end of the year when it comes to new devices and updates. Outside of rumor and speculation of course. But I know that iPhone works well for me. But that's creating a lack of excitement.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

I think it's mostly boredom. I know what iOS does and that it works well at those things. But android seems more exciting due to its constant news cycle, since there's always a new android device coming out or around the corner. With iPhone, there really only in the news cycle towards the end of the year when it comes to new devices and updates. Outside of rumor and speculation of course. But I know that iPhone works well for me. But that's creating a lack of excitement.

That's fair. I think android offers far more to the hardware enthusiasts since there are so many hardware choices. iOS is basic with much polish on refined hardware and that's okay too. Especially for the old geezers like yours truly.

0rbital  Halcyon

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site

That's fair. I think android offers far more to the hardware enthusiasts since there are so many hardware choices. iOS is basic with much polish on refined hardware and that's okay too. Especially for the old geezers like yours truly.

0rbital  Halcyon

Yeah, pretty much.

Why do you choose android if you don't mind me asking?

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
simply can't decide..

Yeah, pretty much.

Why do you choose android if you don't mind me asking?

I don't, right now. I have two 5s' and an Air LTE and an rMini LTE. Not too many moons ago I used to have a G2 and Optimus G Pro. Good phones indeed. Over the last year I've had numerous android phones and tablets. I still have a G Pad 8.3 which I've handed down to my 4-year-old. I'm still considering adding a Nexus 5 back in the mix to see if I'd enjoy it once again.

1 f IV