Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By zedorda
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    Kang/CM10

Default HTC Power to Give - Potentially cure cancer, AIDS, etc.

Moto X Users,

I highly recommend downloading this app for background processing during night time, plugged in, and on WiFi. Since our phone is plugged in on WiFi, you won't have to worry about battery life and data consumption with this app. It is only activated when the two are true.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...id=com.htc.ptg

What does this app do? Several organizations are looking to do computations, but are limited with bandwidth due to the limitations of their servers. CPU power is huge on these servers. These organizations, according to HTC, are to help with Humanity's progression. But the best part is, you can choose where you would like to put your phone's CPU power towards in regards to the projects given.

Why do I recommend it? It's an app that is running when you're "sleeping" essentially since most of our phones are plugged in at night. So it's not hurting any limitations on your device when using CPU power. The other thing is that, when your screen is on, the background process for the HTC app stops completely until the screen fades out again.

Risks? Your CPU bandwidth is being used for these organizations that are looking for things such as cures. But we are also basing that on the Honor system in regards that our CPU bandwidth is really being put to that use and no other uses.
    Motorola Droid Maxx

Samsung Galaxy Nexus - RIP
    CM10 Jellybro Jelly Bean

Asus Nexus 7
    AOKP JB Milestone 1

Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.4 KitKat

Default Re: HTC Power to Give - Potentially cure cancer, AIDS, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by SeigaGen View Post
    Moto X Users,

I highly recommend downloading this app for background processing during night time, plugged in, and on WiFi. Since our phone is plugged in on WiFi, you won't have to worry about battery life and data consumption with this app. It is only activated when the two are true.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...id=com.htc.ptg

What does this app do? Several organizations are looking to do computations, but are limited with bandwidth due to the limitations of their servers. CPU power is huge on these servers. These organizations, according to HTC, are to help with Humanity's progression. But the best part is, you can choose where you would like to put your phone's CPU power towards in regards to the projects given.

Why do I recommend it? It's an app that is running when you're "sleeping" essentially since most of our phones are plugged in at night. So it's not hurting any limitations on your device when using CPU power. The other thing is that, when your screen is on, the background process for the HTC app stops completely until the screen fades out again.

Risks? Your CPU bandwidth is being used for these organizations that are looking for things such as cures. But we are also basing that on the Honor system in regards that our CPU bandwidth is really being put to that use and no other uses.
    I am big proponent of Distributed Computing(DC) projects. Currently have 48 core 4P system running Folding@Home. The last thing I'm ever going to do is run it on a laptop or phone though. Its way too much stress, much better to run this on a x86 system....
    N5 Black 32GB (4.4.4), N4 (4.4.4), iphone 5 (ios 8), ONE+64GB, N7(5.0 "L") AT&T The Nexus 5 is so fast...I just finished the internet...The ending wasn't great...

Quote Originally Posted by Chex313 View Post
    I am big proponent of Distributed Computing(DC) projects. Currently have 48 core 4P system running Folding@Home. The last thing I'm ever going to do is run it on a laptop or phone though. Its way to0 much stress, much better to run this on a x86 system....
    Totally agree. I also run Folding@Home on my PC and I can't imagine a phone getting much done compared to a real PC/MAC. The real high-end phones might just fry themselves out with all the heat the 800 produces.
    Chex313 likes this.

Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.4 KitKat

Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    Totally agree. I also run Folding@Home on my PC and I can't imagine a phone getting much done compared to a real PC/MAC. The real high-end phones might just fry themselves out with all the heat the 800 produces.
    Exactly...I can just see it now. I installed it on my phone and it didn't shut off...My battery dies in half an hour....Uninstalling... (EDIT: This is tongue and cheek, I have no plans to run DC on anything but my server and desktop rigs) Sorry for the confusion!
    N5 Black 32GB (4.4.4), N4 (4.4.4), iphone 5 (ios 8), ONE+64GB, N7(5.0 "L") AT&T The Nexus 5 is so fast...I just finished the internet...The ending wasn't great...
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

ROM
    Kang/CM10

True, but now you see even more smart phones these days. Desktop computers are of the past. Cloud is the future. And mobile devices are optimized for that as well.

Also, the stress you talk about is taking effect at only 90% battery or above and plugged in and screen off. Lots of stipulations before the app can run.

Sent from my XT1080M (Droid Maxx) using Tapatalk 4 Pro
    Motorola Droid Maxx

CM10 Jellybro Jelly Bean

Asus Nexus 7
    AOKP JB Milestone 1

True, but now you see even more smart phones these days. Desktop computers are of the past. Cloud is the future. And mobile devices are optimized for that as well.

Also, the stress you talk about is taking effect at only 90% battery or above and plugged in and screen off. Lots of stipulations before the app can run.

Sent from my XT1080M (Droid Maxx) using Tapatalk 4 Pro
    Desktop computer are the pasted? Sorry bud but x86 isn't going any where anytime soon. Phone are no where even near as powerful as a desktop and still have decades to catch up.

I would dare to say but just guessing alone that one desktop(bought in the last year) is worth at least 5 million smartphones when it comes to Folding@Home.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

ROM
    Kang/CM10

Desktop computer are the pasted? Sorry bud but x86 isn't going any where anytime soon. Phone are no where even near as powerful as a desktop and still have decades to catch up.

I would dare to say but just guessing alone that one desktop(bought in the last year) is worth at least 5 million smartphones when it comes to Folding@Home.
    Wrong on that guess.

ARM is a different architecture, but by no means is it that feeble. And yes, Desktop is going away. This is proven fact. Look at sales for Desktop vs. Smart phones over 10 years. Web sites are data center driven and utilize more HTML5 markup than anything else. We are approaching the area where we rely on the Cloud now. Sorry to say, but Desktop is becoming obsolete.

Remember, people said the same thing about CD's and DVD's and even Blu-Ray. Digital Cloud media conquers all now. Sales are higher on digital markets like iTunes and Play Store. Most people own smart phones, not all people own desktop computers. And not all people leave their desktop computers on for these computations to run.
    Motorola Droid Maxx

CM10 Jellybro Jelly Bean

Asus Nexus 7
    AOKP JB Milestone 1
    Thanked by:

Wrong on that guess.

ARM is a different architecture, but by no means is it that feeble. And yes, Desktop is going away. This is proven fact. Look at sales for Desktop vs. Smart phones over 10 years. Web sites are data center driven and utilize more HTML5 markup than anything else. We are approaching the area where we rely on the Cloud now. Sorry to say, but Desktop is becoming obsolete.

Remember, people said the same thing about CD's and DVD's and even Blu-Ray. Digital Cloud media conquers all now. Sales are higher on digital markets like iTunes and Play Store. Most people own smart phones, not all people own desktop computers. And not all people leave their desktop computers on for these computations to run.
    Wow you have to be dense or just plain out of reality. Desktops last 5-15 years on avg and are used by whole families. Cell phones are not shared and get replaced in 1-2 years so of course computer don't sell as many but they do sell for more and are not subsidize. I am in the computer industry and I can say for a fact your so wrong your a consumer.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

ROM
    Kang/CM10

Wow you have to be dense or just plain out of reality. Desktops last 5-15 years on avg and are used by whole families. Cell phones are not shared and get replaced in 1-2 years so of course computer don't sell as many but they do sell for more and are not subsidize. I am in the computer industry and I can say for a fact your so wrong your a consumer.

And yes ARM is extremely feeble.
    I am in the computer industry as well. I work on the Cloud. I know things and see things in the Data Center all the time. Ever heard of Moore's law? This is inevitable to happen. Desktops don't last 5-15 years anymore. It's not like the 286 or 386 days. Desktops on average are replaced every 4 years. This is market research. Soon the data centers will all be gone and it will all be virtual, now what? You say you know things in the computer industry, and it might just be on the consumer end, but I look at things on the enterprise end.
    Motorola Droid Maxx

CM10 Jellybro Jelly Bean

Asus Nexus 7
    AOKP JB Milestone 1

I am in the computer industry as well. I work on the Cloud. I know things and see things in the Data Center all the time. Ever heard of Moore's law? This is inevitable to happen. Desktops don't last 5-15 years anymore. It's not like the 286 or 386 days. Desktops on average are replaced every 4 years. This is market research. Soon the data centers will all be gone and it will all be virtual, now what? You say you know things in the computer industry, and it might just be on the consumer end, but I look at things on the enterprise end.
    I guess your ignoring everything not big box? I have been building custom systems for my costumers for over 25 years and what I build is rarely replaced in less than 10 years. The business of custom isn't the same I admit. Now the big box computer company will be moving away from desktops but that not the whole market of the x86 architecture hell its not even half. The move to total mobility solutions is around the corner but not to the masses. The two markets will co-exist for another 40 years minimum.

The Cloud isn't anything but marketing fluff for offsite storage it is nothing new. And your not in the computer industry your in the software industry which might need hardware but you don't know hardware.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

ROM
    Kang/CM10

I guess your ignoring everything not big box? I have been building custom systems for my costumers for over 25 years and what I build is rarely replaced in less than 10 years. The business of custom isn't the same I admit. Now the big box computer company will be moving away from desktops but that not the whole market of the x86 architecture hell its not even half. The move to total mobility solutions is around the corner but not to the masses. The two markets will co-exist for another 40 years minimum.

The Cloud isn't anything but marketing fluff for offsite storage it is nothing new.
    Big Box is all you need. I have also built custom systems for people. Higher quality parts make for a longer system. And as you stated, not a lot of people do custom jobs but pick up brand name. And yes, the 2 year turnaround for a phone is one of the biggest reasons why the smart phone industry is growing exponentially. Why did IBM sell their ThinkPad business to Lenovo. Why is it that Dell has focused more on the enterprise hardware? Most of these companies business, about 70%, comes straight from farm deployment and data center driven servers. I see more tablets now than Laptops.

This is more than just around the corner. This wave is going to hit us even more in 2015 when you start to see even more wearable devices. I think you're pushing it if you think 40 years is all it will take. Remember we went from writing punch card applications 25-30 years ago to being able to do some Minority Report stuff like on the Xbox. The leap from Desktop to Mobile is not as great. And you don't see any regularity of punch card applications these days.
    Motorola Droid Maxx

CM10 Jellybro Jelly Bean

Asus Nexus 7
    AOKP JB Milestone 1

Big Box is all you need. I have also built custom systems for people. Higher quality parts make for a longer system. And as you stated, not a lot of people do custom jobs but pick up brand name. And yes, the 2 year turnaround for a phone is one of the biggest reasons why the smart phone industry is growing exponentially. Why did IBM sell their ThinkPad business to Lenovo. Why is it that Dell has focused more on the enterprise hardware? Most of these companies business, about 70%, comes straight from farm deployment and data center driven servers. I see more tablets now than Laptops.

This is more than just around the corner. This wave is going to hit us even more in 2015 when you start to see even more wearable devices. I think you're pushing it if you think 40 years is all it will take. Remember we went from writing punch card applications 25-30 years ago to being able to do some Minority Report stuff like on the Xbox. The leap from Desktop to Mobile is not as great.
    I am not talking ordering a bunch of parts from Newegg to build a computer. I mean we build from the PCB up. Real custom systems. My customers are not consumers they are employers, governments, research facilities, etc. None of them have asked for an ARM powered solution yet.

The moves in the consumer market is not in responds to technology as much as profits. There is money to be made and people are happy to fork over cash for old tech just repackaged smaller and more portable.

Punched card computing started in 1725 and magnetic tape for data storage was 1950s.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

ROM
    Kang/CM10

The moves in the consumer market is not in responds to technology as much as profits. There is money to be made and people are happy to fork over cash for old tech just repackaged smaller and more portable.
    The only thing I can really say is that I agree to disagree with you. Also, consumer market does respond to technology just as much as profit. They both go hand and hand. Technology = profit if it is executed right (remember Apple Newton anyone?). Apple is a prime example of both ends of the spectrum in general. On one hand, they revolutionized technology with the iPod and iPhone. On the other hand, they slacked and fell behind on technology and it has affected their numbers.

But out of curiousity, do you know why ARM is used on mobile devices and not x86? It has to do with battery consumption and how it handles computation. This is not the case anymore, but a couple of years ago, this was the case. Intel and NVidia are both coming out with new CPU/GPU's on the x86 architecture for Android optimized for mobile use.
    Motorola Droid Maxx

CM10 Jellybro Jelly Bean

Asus Nexus 7
    AOKP JB Milestone 1

ARM is used in mobile device because as you said power efficiency and it is not more than they need. It also doesn't have the licensing issues connect to x86.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

ROM
    Kang/CM10

ARM is used in mobile device because as you said power efficiency and it is not more than they need. It also doesn't have the licensing issues connect to x86.
    Battery is not an issue anymore according to Intel. Which is why they're moving forward to making the x86 architecture. Same with NVidia. Licensing won't be an issue. x86 is used by Intel, NVidia, AMD, etc. It's a matter of what manufacturer Google or any phone manufacturer goes with.
    Motorola Droid Maxx

CM10 Jellybro Jelly Bean

Asus Nexus 7
    AOKP JB Milestone 1

Battery is not an issue anymore according to Intel. Which is why they're moving forward to making the x86 architecture. Same with NVidia. Licensing won't be an issue. x86 is used by Intel, NVidia, AMD, etc. It's a matter of what manufacturer Google or any phone manufacturer goes with.
    The licensing issues were a reference to back in the day same for battery power. No its not such a problem now and is why x86 is coming to phones. But again battery tech hasn't changed just cost has. Along with licensing the costs there have dropped no new tech there either.

And sorry for calling you dense your not you just are seeing things from the software end and I have these kind of talks with people I work with too. It has been a common argument for decades between hardware and software. Software used to drive hardware development and now hardware has blasted so far ahead of software that old tech is being re-released as new stuff with new model numbers and the consumer and software never knows the difference.
    Banned

Global Posts
    154 Global Posts

Exactly...I can just see it now. I installed it on my phone and it didn't shut off...My battery dies in half an hour....Uninstalling...
    OOPS!
    I guess the proof is in the pudding, eh...
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

ROM
    Kang/CM10

The licensing issues were a reference to back in the day same for battery power. No its not such a problem now and is why x86 is coming to phones. But again battery tech hasn't changed just cost has. Along with licensing the costs there have dropped no new tech there either.
    Well... I can argue battery technology as well. Back in the day, we used to use NiCad batteries for our phones, and they carried battery memory weight. Lithium Ion doesn't have a charge memory. In which case, it is recommended to charge your phone's battery as often as possible without doing any full drain for at least 30 days. Lithium Ion does have something called Digital memory, but that is reset by performing a full battery drain then Charge. Soon, that will be perfected and will give even better life to a phone.
    Motorola Droid Maxx

CM10 Jellybro Jelly Bean

Asus Nexus 7
    AOKP JB Milestone 1
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

ROM
    Kang/CM10

Exactly...I can just see it now. I installed it on my phone and it didn't shut off...My battery dies in half an hour....Uninstalling...
    That might be another issue... Did you check the power settings to make sure that it only computes when your phone is plugged in and the screen turned off? No one else has really reported that, so I'm assuming user issue. Also, do you have battery stats screen shot to prove it? Visuals help over words.
    Motorola Droid Maxx

CM10 Jellybro Jelly Bean

Asus Nexus 7
    AOKP JB Milestone 1

Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.4 KitKat

That might be another issue... Did you check the power settings to make sure that it only computes when your phone is plugged in and the screen turned off? No one else has really reported that, so I'm assuming user issue. Also, do you have battery stats screen shot to prove it? Visuals help over words.
    I'm sorry...after stating that I have been running DC for years and use a server for it....I was just being tongue in cheek about the battery issue. I had already stated that I would not be running DC ever on a phone or laptop.

If you have ever run folding @ Home on a laptop. You'll now what I mean. These applications are not meant for the feint of heart, and the highest points producers are the high performance Beta clients. Requiring 32 cores or more. Points awarded on most DC projects are based on work done. The more powerful the rig the more the points awarded. I'm on the Overclockers.com team and recommend any one who wants to run these clients learn as much as they can before running them.

I Invite anyone who would like to participate in disease research(Thats what Stanford's folding @ Home does) to join our team(32). (See my Avatar ) We happen to be the #4 team in the world right now...Probably also have the fewest members... There are many other worthy DC efforts as well, including Berkeley's "Rosetta" and Seti(search for ET intelligence).

If everyone on this forum ran a DC client, on their phone it wouldn't contribute as much work as the 48 core server I am running. A similar analogy is putting my server up against a Supercomputer.

To make it clear I was not saying that this particular client runs out of control. One of the biggest issue's with any phone is usually an app running when it shouldn't and killing battery life. DC clients are usually designed to max out whatever system they run on to maximize work done. If this app were to get hung up, it would kill your battery in a heartbeat. Regardless of whether it only runs when plugged in the constant load is going to overheat your battery every night its plugged in. That's going to shorten the life of the battery. Thats the main issue I would have with it. It would be like running the most intensive game every night why you slept.

That is why I am cautioning folks who want to run it. DC projects are excellent ways to utilize spare cycles. The time is not here yet, where it makes sense to run them on any device with a battery in it.