Happy Anniversary Internet
It's the 25th Anniversary for the internet. Pretty amazing when you stop for a moment and give it some thought. Think of how much our world has changed because of it. It doesn't matter if you're into Samsung Tabs, MacBooks, iPhones, HTC, Nexus, Sony, etc, etc. we are all connected to this huge WWW. It's because of this that we are on this forum and have our loyalties to the devices we like. I think it's great and I'm glad I have lived to experience it. I grew up with vinyl records, dial telephones, big box TVs with tubes, big newspaper and magazine subscriptions and stuff that has gone the way because of the internet. A lot of us even shop for toilet paper on line. What will the world be like in 10 or 20 years. We should embrace this technology but we should also respect it. It's part of our lives.
- 03-13-2014, 02:47 AM #2
- 2,627 Posts
Re: Happy Anniversary Internet
There is no consensus on the exact date when the modern Internet came into being, but sometime in the early to mid-1980s is considered reasonable. What makes you believe it is today?
I believe it is more like 32 years old because:
In December 1974, RFC 675 – Specification of Internet Transmission Control Program, by Vinton Cerf, Yogen Dalal, and Carl Sunshine, used the term internet as a shorthand for internetworking and later RFCs repeat this use. Access to the ARPANET was expanded in 1981 when the National Science Foundation (NSF) developed the Computer Science Network (CSNET). In 1982, the Internet Protocol Suite (TCP/IP) was standardized and the concept of a world-wide network of fully interconnected TCP/IP networks called the Internet was introduced.
- 03-13-2014, 02:58 AM #3
- By mastiff38 in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1Replies: 4Last Post: 08-24-2014, 01:17 PM
- By John Wiskowski in forum Sony Z Ultra Google Play editionReplies: 23Last Post: 08-22-2014, 10:51 PM
- By BlueYeti in forum Samsung Galaxy S IIReplies: 5Last Post: 07-21-2014, 09:44 PM
- By monsow in forum Google Nexus 5Replies: 3Last Post: 03-13-2014, 02:43 PM
- By suey3b in forum Samsung Galaxy S3Replies: 0Last Post: 03-09-2014, 06:37 PM