Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Is AT&T network now larger than Verizon after the Cricket purchase?

I'm sure most of you have heard that AT&T just recently bought Leap wireless (better know as Cricket) in summer of 2013. Yet it was awating FCC approval -- and the FCC just approved it yesterday. So now AT&T owns Cricket. AT&T is suppose to convert the cricket towers over to GSM. Cricket is larger than most people think, it was nation-wide and covered almost 100 million people. Now AT&T owns all their towers, and all that extra Spectrum.....I'm thinking this makes AT&T now larger than Verizon (network wise).

Here's the thing: Verizon and AT&T are basically tied when it comes to network coverage (talking voice + data), but now with AT&T buying Cricket and gaining all those extra towers and spectrum, does this make AT&T officially the bigger network now? Here's why I ask: because Cricket covers 97 million people with it's CDMA nation-wide network, and AT&T now owns all those towers and spectrum. Yeah, I'm sure a lot of those 97 million people where covered under roaming partners, but I'm sure Cricket still had LOTS of "native towers" -- and now AT&T owns all of Crickets native towers and lots of extra spectrum. Also, AT&T still has to convert the towers from CDMA to GSM, but once they do (they said around 6 months), won't that mean that once AT&T does convert all the Cricket towers over to AT&T in approx 6 months, won't that now mean that AT&T has officially become bigger than Verizon? Again I'm just talking pure network size of voice + data. This purchase of Cricket should mean that AT&T network just got "decently bigger", and since AT&T and Verizon where nearly tied when it came to overall network coverage in voice and data, with AT&T'S new purchase of Cricket wouldn't that put AT&T ahead of Verizon in terms of overall network size?

Quote from one article I read (this is just about spectrum gained from the Cricket purchase)
    "Leap's spectrum holdings, which land in the PCS and AWS bands covering 137 million people, now purchased by AT&T. In all, Leap wirless (Cricket) owns AWS spectrum in 100 markets, spectrum that AT&T can turn into extra LTE capacity relatively quickly."
    Last edited by Josh177; 03-14-2014 at 04:16 AM.

Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

Default Re: Is AT&T network now larger than Verizon after the Cricket purchase?

Good question but I'd focus more on what yor needs are rather than who has the largest network....I mean even if they did and the coverage sucked in my area I wouldn't care! :P However I like att and I think they have a GREAT coverage map for the prices they are asking. Plus the trend with them has been great lately....Slashing prices!
    HTC One (ATT GSM)
    Palm Pre- > HTC Evo 3D > HTC One X (White) > Samsung Galaxy S3 (White) > HTC One (Silver)
    My Blog: C2JBlog.com
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Yeah, I know, but I just wanted to know for "clarifcation purposes". Verizon always claims they have the largest network, and AT&T will claim the same, but now is it officially true that AT&T does for a fact have a larger network than Verizon? I mean Crickets network was a pretty decently sized network, and now AT&T owns all those extra cricket towers, extra Cricket spectrum, extra cricket tower equipment, etc, etc. Once AT&T converts all the Cricket towers over from CDMA over to AT&T'S GSM network, then I believe that should make AT&T larger than Verizon.

Also, this should help my benefit me or most AT&T customers. This is because AT&T just gained a whole lot of spectrum and towers, and AT&T is suppose to convert Crickets tower over to GSM, which more towers = less congestion, more signal, etc. Cricket had lots of towers, so AT&T's network's coverage should improve all over the nation!! ALSO, the spectrum gained from this merger/purchase gives AT&T more spectrum for it's LTE network, and once it's converts Cricket towers over to GSM, those newly owned AT&T towers will provide 4G LTE service. So let's say Cricket's "native" network owned 500 towers total (just an example). Now AT&T owns all those 500 towers, and AT&T said they are going to convert those extra towers to 4G LTE and of course extra voice coverage (in this example, 500 extra towers nationwide) over to AT&T GSM network, and also use the spetrum to improve LTE speeds, less congestion, etc, etc. Now: by adding a whooping EXTRA 500 towers to the AT&T network, this should make them by far the largest wireless carrier, right? I mean if AT&T just gained a whooping 500 EXTRA towers onto it's network, PLUS they gained PCS and AWS spectrum in over 100 different markets, well, that's A LOT!! (Again the 500 towers was just for example purposes ONLY). The spectrum though is correct, AT&T from buying Cricket did gain PCS and AWS spectrum in 100 different markets nationwide, which covers over 137 million people!!! So the extra spectrum AT&T gained alone from buying Cricket covers 137 million Americans -- that's a lot of spectrum that can be used for more LTE coverage, better LTE coverage, and it's 20X20 LTE...

I dunno, but it seems like this deal MAY have just made AT&T the larger carrier, and possibly the BETTER carrier due to all the extra spectrum AT&T gained. We'll have to wait about 6 months for the results though.

Good thanks