Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By devicenotcompatible
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Moto G + Unlocking - 2 questions

Lost my trusty Atrix 2. Was planning on buying some generic chinese crap (since I keep losing phones). Then I discovered Moto G. Everywhere I look, it's being hailed as the KING of mid level smartphones, better than some of last year's flagships. Is is really the best choice?

Secondly, what's the run down on unlocking? I see some no contract boost/verizon prepaid for $99 on ebay. What is to stop me from buying one of these and chucking my Telecom NZ sim in there? Assuming the band (3g 850) is supported. I'm guessing it's still not that straight forward. Can it be unlocked? Does it cost? How much does it cost? Just curious cuz I'm a cheap *******.

Cheers

Global Posts
    8,932 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Default Re: Moto G + Unlocking - 2 questions

Quote Originally Posted by devicenotcompatible View Post
    Lost my trusty Atrix 2. Was planning on buying some generic chinese crap (since I keep losing phones). Then I discovered Moto G. Everywhere I look, it's being hailed as the KING of mid level smartphones, better than some of last year's flagships. Is is really the best choice?

Secondly, what's the run down on unlocking? I see some no contract boost/verizon prepaid for $99 on ebay. What is to stop me from buying one of these and chucking my Telecom NZ sim in there? Assuming the band (3g 850) is supported. I'm guessing it's still not that straight forward. Can it be unlocked? Does it cost? How much does it cost? Just curious cuz I'm a cheap *******.

Cheers
    If the device supports your carriers band and it's unlocked there should be no issue with inserting the SIM and using the Moto G on your current network. It's the Verizon model you need to be careful of, because I'm pretty sure that's a cdma only device and won't support your SIM - I could be wrong, so check before purchasing. A Google Play version is available on the Play Store, so you might want to check that out and see the specs and bands supported by the unlocked device.

Global Posts
    3,606 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.2

Cheers
    As far as I understand it all GSM Moto G's are sold unlocked. You can get the "global" model or the "US" model.

Moto G by Motorola - A Google Company

That is the link to the US site. It says the global model supports 850 band on EDGE and HSPA+ networks.

So if you are looking on ebay you want the "Global GSM" model and you should be good, it should already be unlocked. You don't want the Boost Mobile/Verizon version, they are CDMA for use in the US and probably locked.

I see some no contract boost/verizon prepaid for $99 on ebay. What is to stop me from buying one of these and chucking my Telecom NZ sim in there?
    Where would you chuck it? Boost and Verizon are CDMA.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Ah. That explains that then. And why they are so much cheaper.

I guess one could say... device not compatible...?

No?

I'll get my hat...
    Unicorn Rancher likes this.

Awesome..thanks
    Banned

Global Posts
    154 Global Posts

Lost my trusty Atrix 2. Was planning on buying some generic chinese crap (since I keep losing phones).
    Whatever phone you decide on, if you don't want to 'lose' that one as well you might want to have a hard look at the free app 'AndroidLost' that you can even install on your device AFTER you lost it!
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Can I still use it on my lost phone? I have the box still so I'm sure I can pull up some unique identifier. Won't count on data/wifi though.

You should consider Cerberus if you keep loading phones.

sent via tapatalk