Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Banned

Global Posts
    478 Global Posts

Default Ever wonder why Box gives away so much storage?

Because it sucks. I've seen descriptions like this given to Dropbox: "Simple, accessible, secure"
    I'm not sure about "secure" but I do know 2 things that Box.com are not, and those are simple and accessible. What I've recently discovered is that Box really sucks at sync.

Dropbox compared to Box:

Dropbox: Open the app, click on the file. Easy and simple. The dropbox app kindly automatically detects the format and opens the file in whatever app you have installed by its format.
    Box: Click on a file that's not specifically supported by Box themselves and you get... nothing. They could care less what apps are on your device, sorry pal.

Dropbox: Finding the local folder that Dropbox stores your synced files is easily found in Android/data/com.dropbox.android/files. Hey, they even keep the original file name! How about that, what a concept!
    Box: Hmmm I wonder which file it is? Let's try android/data/com.box.android/234726390/?/230942739847-f9786wdf90wd78awdf789asdf76sa0d9f760asOMGBBQ/wedon'tknowhowtousefileextensionshahahasuckergoodluckkthxbye

...Seriously Box!? What the frack...

Box should make an app for Windows Phone if they haven't already. They and Microsoft are meant to be together, like destined lovers.
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  
    Banned

Global Posts
    478 Global Posts

Default Re: Ever wonder why Box gives away so much storage?

I should also mention that even Google's own Drive app suffers the same malady, at least it did last I tried a few months ago. Skydrive I gave up on since MS still allows a bunch of 300 year old fossils being kept alive by science to run the company behind the scenes using technology from the Renaissance era.

Quote Originally Posted by xchange View Post
    Box: Click on a file that's not specifically supported by Box themselves and you get... nothing. They could care less what apps are on your device, sorry pal.
    i've never had this issue. box opens up my apps. i personally prefer box, but i use dropbox and drive as well. i find lately that i'm relying more and more on drive.
    boudicca00 likes this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  
    Banned

Global Posts
    478 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ljxdaly View Post
    i've never had this issue. box opens up my apps. i personally prefer box, but i use dropbox and drive as well. i find lately that i'm relying more and more on drive.
    If you're opening up a file with an extension that Box officially supports it will work for you. If not, it won't. Drop box will open any file type as long as you have an app installed on your device that uses it, no matter what. I realize now why of all the major cloud storage companies dropbox, even though they're smaller than Google or MS, offer the least storage for free. It's because they're better at it.

you've piqued my interest....maybe you are dealing with obscure file extensions. give me one that i can test??? i admit i use the most common documents...epub, pdf....even have a cbr or two. can't remember about audio or video formats, but i prefer local storage for that stuff.

I keep box installed mainly due to the 50gbs free I got from a promotion they had. Haven't dived into it too much.

And one drive seems pretty good.

I prefer Box
    LG-isai
    boudicca00 likes this.

I wish box had a auto upload feature for camera and other photos.

I use Mega. 50 GB of free storage and it's encrypted.

Sent from my LG-G2 running CM 11
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  
    Banned

Global Posts
    478 Global Posts

It's what's going on with Box's API that drives me nuts. Most file apps I've dealt with use the basic popup when you click a file that asks you what app you would like to open it with. Box has chosen to only support certain file types with no other option.

Because cloud storage is actually dirt cheap? How many people actually fill up that 50 gb of free storage?

The only downside is that with all freemium business models, you have the few paying customers subsidizing the rest who are using the free storage (which while cheap, still costs the companies money every month to maintain).

Quote Originally Posted by abazigal View Post
    How many people actually fill up that 50 gb of free storage?
    that is what i think. very few people actually use it. for every android/iphone enthusiast that is even aware that cloud services even exist, i bet there are 1000 users don't even know about it or care about it.

i've been using box and dropbox, and i never have exceeded 1 gb used. i will occasionally upload a movie to a public folder so someone else can view it, but after awhile i clean it out.

i have 100gb on drive. i think i am using .25%.:0

I am using Dropbox because I was introduced to it via a referral link from a friend, and have managed to get 11gb of storage via referrals to other friends as well. It's served me well, all my friends and colleagues use it, and so I see little reason to change, even if better deals may exist elsewhere. I am using about 5 gb of files.

I do have a free 50 gb box account, but can't be bothered to port all my files over.

Inertia is a powerful force. In this aspect, I feel that Dropbox enjoys mindshare. It's name is just so synonymous with cloud storage.

Does anyone use one drive? I recently did a bing rewards thing and got 100 gigs free for a year, but don't even know if I'll use it.
    Banned

Global Posts
    154 Global Posts

I've got a 61 GB Dropbox account. 5 GB free, 6 GB from referrals, and a couple months ago I suddenly got 50 GB extra. For some vague reason I couldn't make heads or tails of. I'm not complaining, obviously.

And yes, Dropbox is the most convenient and best polished of the personal clouds, imo. Works like a charm.

However, Dropbox – like Box – resides under US jurisdiction. This means that we have to assume that the contents of our Dropboxes are tightly monitored and stored by the NSA. (They even tap Congress' computers, for crying out loud!). This makes Dropbox unfit for storage of stuff that we don't want big brother to have access to or even know about. It's called privacy.

So apart from this Dropbox I also have 2 free accounts at MEGA. Not in US jurisdiction (New Zealand), 50 GB free each, with end-to-end encryption so that no big brother, and not even MEGA, has access to my stuff stored there. Only me! Accessible on all PCs and Macs using a normal web browser, no software installation required. And with excellent free apps for Android and iOS.

Quote Originally Posted by Ealevenish View Post
    I've got a 61 GB Dropbox account. 5 GB free, 6 GB from referrals, and a couple months ago I suddenly got 50 GB extra. For some vague reason I couldn't make heads or tails of. I'm not complaining, obviously.

And yes, Dropbox is the most convenient and best polished of the personal clouds, imo. Works like a charm.

However, Dropbox like Box resides under US jurisdiction. This means that we have to assume that the contents of our Dropboxes are tightly monitored and stored by the NSA. (They even tap Congress' computers, for crying out loud!). This makes Dropbox unfit for storage of stuff that we don't want big brother to have access to or even know about. It's called privacy.

So apart from this Dropbox I also have 2 free accounts at MEGA. Not in US jurisdiction (New Zealand), 50 GB free each, with end-to-end encryption so that no big brother, and not even MEGA, has access to my stuff stored there. Only me! Accessible on all PCs and Macs using a normal web browser, no software installation required. And with excellent free apps for Android and iOS.
    Bit paranoid, aren't we? Even if they were, why do you care that the government can see your cat pictures or your school project ?

I mean , why not quit android and google while we are at it? Googles a American company, the NSA could be using them to spy on us! :0 lets all just go back to flip phones. Really, it's just paranoid thinking.

And who's to say those other, none US services aren't spying on you as well ? I don't know how much I trust the New Zealand government (or really any government) more than the other. Except canada. I dunno .
    Thanked by:
    Ry 
    Ry likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,945 Global Posts
    ROM
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

Quote Originally Posted by xchange View Post
    Because it sucks. I've seen descriptions like this given to Dropbox: "Simple, accessible, secure"
    I'm not sure about "secure" but I do know 2 things that Box.com are not, and those are simple and accessible. What I've recently discovered is that Box really sucks at sync.
    I used to agree, but Box has made changes the last few months that I really like. Their UI now works a lot like dropbox did.

I still have accounts with both and use both, but BoX is now my primary. It is now as fast and intuitive as Dropbox IMO.
    Thanked by 2:
    RavenSwordRy 
    Ry likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,945 Global Posts
    ROM

Quote Originally Posted by RavenSword View Post
    Does anyone use one drive?
    Hotmail and Bing have left a really bad taste in my mouth, as has Metro. I don't really trust MS anymore.

I have a OneDrive account but I never use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffDenver View Post
    I used to agree, but Box has made changes the last few months that I really like. Their UI now works a lot like dropbox did.

I still have accounts with both and use both, but BoX is now my primary. It is now as fast and intuitive as Dropbox IMO.
    Do you find yourself missing any kind of auto upload?
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,945 Global Posts
    ROM

Quote Originally Posted by RavenSword View Post
    Do you find yourself missing any kind of auto upload?
    Nope. Although all I have syncing is SMS backup. I mostly use Box for long term cloud storage that I can access quickly if I need it.

The Box UI may be similar to Dropbox but there are some big differences under the hood, especially on the PC side where synching is concerned. I recently upgraded my computer. Getting my data on the new PC was easy with dropbox. I just copied the Dropbox folder across and Dropbox sync spent about a half hour validating the files and all was good. Note that this wasn't using the Drobox lan sync, I just restored the files from my NAS.

Box had several hissy fits. First off, the new Box 4.0 client requires jumping through a lot of hoops to get it to point somewhere besides the c:\ drive. I've got an SSD for C: and a bigger spinning disk where I keep my synched data. I had to go through Box support until a point release supported using the D: drive. Then it turns out tere is NO support for simply copying the files from the old hard drive to the new one. I got a billion errors about file name conflicts and Box starting downloading copies of files I already had. It turns out that Box either wants you to re-upload the files or re-download the files from their servers. I have 95GB of data being synched; that would take a month. The files are sitting right there on my NAS! Gah.
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  
    Banned

Global Posts
    478 Global Posts

Yes, that's another problem I've noticed with Box, but didn't know this much about it, thanks for pointing that out

I'm a fan of redundant systems. This trick will work with most of the services at the expense of some folder clutter. Simply nest one cloud service drive inside another. I was using d:\box\dropbox. If one service goes belly up, the other has it covered. Add frequent backups to my NAS and I've got 1 local backup and 2 cloud backups. Not much in the way of versioning beyond what each cloud covers.

It's worth $24 to test the waters with google since they do have good versioning. I'll see how d:\drive\dropbox works. It's going to take for freaking ever to get everything pushed across to google but c'est la vie. Short of S3's bulk disk import via physical disk, there's not much choice otherwise.

The main reason I didn't want to go to S3 is that S3 hosts dropbox. I want to keep dropbox and having all my data on S3 just seemed like a bad idea since it really eliminates the redundancy I want.

Global Posts
    22,120 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

I'll admit, I like Dropbox's UI, but hate the fact that they offer such small space as a base. I actually find both Box and Drive to be just as easy to use.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
    Banned

Global Posts
    4,451 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (4.3)

I have a OneDrive account but I never use it.
    Haters gonna hate, I guess.

Please explain how Outlook.com or Bing (or Metro, which isn't even a product, but a design language/philosophy) has left a bad taste in your mouth.

Or do you just not like Microsoft and feel the need to trash one of the best consumer cloud storage services on the market, which they happen to offer... In a 3.16 MB package Microsoft managed to do everything relevant that Dropbox or Box does in their apps requiring a package over 3x that size, in a sane way unlike Google+ Auto-Upload which decides randomly to ignore its settings and eat your data plan away...

I'm not seeing the connection there. SkyDrive has decent storage sizes (amazing if you're grandfathered - in that case you should have at last 28 GB for Life, unlike those gimmicky OEM promotion). Size Limits for Uploading and Downloading are entirely reasonable (Box has had some issues with this in the past, not sure if they remedied it), and it integrates fabulously with Windows 8.1 (better than any other Cloud Storage solution on the market). For those who would want to pay for storage, their pricing is quite reasonable...

If you use other Microsoft services, than it gets even better.

The person didn't ask for your personal biases about the company that makes the product. He or she just wanted to know if anyone used it and probably what they thought about the quality of the product. It's true... Microsoft can make a decent product, too.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast