Upcoming mobile OS

eggantom

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Recent discussions made me wonder what do you think about the upcoming Firefox, Ubuntu, and Windows+Android OSs?
What do you expect from them?
What do you already like?
Will you switch to one of them?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I haven't seen enough of Firefox or Ubuntu to make a judgement call.
Windows/Android on the Nokia X for me is counter-intuitive, just for that device. Under powered all around.
I will admit I would be willing to try Windows OS on a phone, just not that one.

eggantom

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
I didn't mean Nokia X as the Android/Windows OS. It's all about the upcoming smartphones by Huawei. While there is little info yet, it seems to something different than the Nokia X variant.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Recent discussions made me wonder what do you think about the upcoming Firefox, Ubuntu, and Windows+Android OSs?
What do you expect from them?
Success in niche areas.

What do you already like?
I like all of them. But they are superfluous at this point. Android already does everything that they do.

Will you switch to one of them?
Why would I need to? Android already does all the same stuff and the OS is free.

Other than nerd novelty, I don't see the appeal of any of them over Android at this point.

eggantom

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Why would I need to? Android already does all the same stuff and the OS is free.
Other than nerd novelty, I don't see the appeal of any of them over Android at this point.

Maybe somebody sees a potential behind these OSs.
I know a lot of Firefox fanboys who really want to use a smartphone with Firefox OS.
Don't forget a massive Linux/Ubuntu community which plays a significant role in developing the desktop OS. Don't you think that with such a community they can bring something new to their mobile OS?

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Maybe somebody sees a potential behind these OSs.
I know a lot of Firefox fanboys who really want to use a smartphone with Firefox OS.
I agree. Thats why I qualified my statement...they will have Success in niche areas. Right now there is only fringe support for them. Because they are not doing anything new.

When Android came on the scene, it had something new to offer compared to the competition...it was an open system.

Don't forget a massive Linux/Ubuntu community which plays a significant role in developing the desktop OS.
...which does not appear to have translated into desktop marketshare even after decades of trying. Even Google is not exactly taking over the world with Chrome OS, and they are already entrenched in the mobile market.

Don't you think that with such a community they can bring something new to their mobile OS?
I would need to see some examples first. I personally can't think of anything they could do that could not also be done on Android right now. Can you think of anything?

eggantom

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Even Google is not exactly taking over the world with Chrome OS, and they are already entrenched in the mobile market.

I disagree. Yes, they didn't take the market by storm with the OS itself, but according to statistics, Chromebooks are one of the top purchased notebooks. And personally I like the project itself. One can see how many updates and improvements were made just during the past few months. I's say that in a year or so Chrome OS will rise greatly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy