Upgrade my Microsoft desktop or get a Nexus tablet? Stick with the Status Quo?

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Apologize for being off topic in advance, but looking for some advice from those more of a more technical mind.

Everyone is always asking for advice when it comes to upgrades. Here's where I need help. Back pre-2010, my desktop computer meant a lot to me. only had a 3g phone that was nice for surfing on the go, but really didn't hold a candle to typing and streaming on full keyboard and full size monitor.

Fast forward 4 years and I have a Nexus 7 LTE with a Verizon Unlimited Data Plan. It rivals my home internet connection, though I choose to use wifi anyway when possible. My desktop is of less importance, though I still want to keep it.

My problem is that Microsoft gas been saying that Windows XP will no longer be supported come April. I normally use it for typing and printing a letter or spreadsheet, checking webmail, streaming Youtube, watching Netflix, shopping on Amazon or Ebay. Everything that I can do on my tablet if I had to.

I would prefer not to upgrade, since I rely on my desktop less and less, but am I taking a big risk if I just keep using what I have?
I could buy a decent desktop for $325 with Windows 7, but I really can't justify it when all I do is use webmail, stream Netflix, Hulu, watch the Android Central Podcast.

I'd rather just save the $325 or blow it on the next Nexus tablet.

My concern is that Google seems pretty forgiving in that they will still support Donut, Eclair, Froyo, Gingerbread, devices for email, web surfing and making phone calls. It still also offers some security to those devices.

In contrast, Microsoft is saying all support for XP is done as of April.

I don't normally surf high risk sites, but does anyone think that Windows XP will be dropped from even being able to surf the internet, buy online, stream Netflix etc, and even have personal information at a much higher risk for being compromised?

There are times when I still like the "desktop" experience, but I don't feel like upgrading or looking for new drivers. I have a crappy system, but it does everything I want it to and my tablet does everything else.

Would anyone care to give their opinion?

I am a big proponent for upgrading phones whenever possible. I loved going from 3G to 4G, having more RAM, and a better CPU. However, I also respect anyone that would rather stay on a 3G Gingerbread device--I use one for work?

Does anyone think I am just being foolish if I want to keep my Windows XP desktop until the motherboard is fried or the hard drive craps out, keeping the $325 in my pocket, even if it doesn't get the most timely Nexus-like updates from Microsoft anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Re: Upgrading to a Microsoft Nexus or Sticking with the Status Quo?

You'll still be able to use the XP computer, it's just that they won't give support for it anymore if you encounter problems. Have a good antivirus installed, maybe Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. You'll probably get a lot of programs saying they won't support XP anymore as well. A lot of the stuff you do, you can do on a Nexus 7.

Hey, if it makes you feel any better, my school still has computers with Windows XP. :')

Sent from my AT&T One X running CodefireX ROM Android Version 4.4.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

You ought to consider a Chromebook, since it can do all that you seem to use your desktop for, and it can do it for a lot less money. Chrome OS is much more secure, and current Chromebooks are being supported with updates by Google for at least the next 4 years. I'm currently typing this response on my Acer C720, which I got for $200 (which is the normal retail price, not a sale price). I find that there are subtle but real prodcutivity advantages of a Chromebook over an Android tablet. Browsers on Android tablets will generally be slower than on a Chromebook, and not all websites will behave correctly on mobile Chrome (or other Android browsers). Obviously, tablets trump Chromebooks in other areas like extreme portability and games. But Chromebooks are so cheap that it's reasonable to have both.

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

You ought to consider a Chromebook, since it can do all that you seem to use your desktop for, and it can do it for a lot less money. Chrome OS is much more secure, and current Chromebooks are being supported with updates by Google for at least the next 4 years. I'm currently typing this response on my Acer C720, which I got for $200 (which is the normal retail price, not a sale price). I find that there are subtle but real prodcutivity advantages of a Chromebook over an Android tablet. Browsers on Android tablets will generally be slower than on a Chromebook, and not all websites will behave correctly on mobile Chrome (or other Android browsers). Obviously, tablets trump Chromebooks in other areas like extreme portability and games. But Chromebooks are so cheap that it's reasonable to have both.

Thought about a Chromebook, and still am, but I'm still thinking I'd like to keep my desktop for another year or two. Maybe just save the money all together. However, is pretty cheap and affordable if I want to connect my chromebook to my current 21 inch monitor?

Chromebooks are nice becasue they are portable, but offer the ability to do more productive things than a typical tablet. However, if I got one to replace my desktop, it wouldn't normally be portable. I'd still use my tablet on the go.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

However, is pretty cheap and affordable if I want to connect my chromebook to my current 21 inch monitor?

Sorry, I don't quite understand your question. You can connect the Chromebook to a monitor, depending on the output available on the Chromebook. My Acer C720 only has an HDMI output, so it would obviously require a monitor with an HDMI input (which not all of them have). I think some of the older Chromebooks might have VGA outputs, but not sure.

Now that I have both a Chromebook and an Android tablet, it's hard to decide which one to bring on a trip. The tablet is enjoyable for games and viewing videos while in bed, while the Chromebook is so much nicer to use while surfing AC or writing articles. I'm currently at a medical conference, so this time I decided to bring the Chromebook.

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

Sorry, I don't quite understand your question. You can connect the Chromebook to a monitor, depending on the output available on the Chromebook. My Acer C720 only has an HDMI output, so it would obviously require a monitor with an HDMI input (which not all of them have). I think some of the older Chromebooks might have VGA outputs, but not sure.

Now that I have both a Chromebook and an Android tablet, it's hard to decide which one to bring on a trip. The tablet is enjoyable for games and viewing videos while in bed, while the Chromebook is so much nicer to use while surfing AC or writing articles. I'm currently at a medical conference, so this time I decided to bring the Chromebook.

I was asking mainly because, regardless of if I got a new desktop or chromebook, there would be times I would want to stram on my 21" monitor instead of an 11" chromebook.

Right now, I am just leaning toward keeping my old XP desktop until it dies.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site

Does anyone think I am just being foolish if I want to keep my Windows XP desktop until the motherboard is fried or the hard drive craps out, keeping the $325 in my pocket, even if it doesn't get the most timely Nexus-like updates from Microsoft anymore.
If it was me, I would bite the bullet and upgrade. Windows 8 has it's problems, but the performance difference is so night and day, that it is very worth it. Everything about Windows 8 is easier. And the annoyances (like no desktop) can be circumvented. Even for everyday tasks Windows 8 is just a pleasure to use. Smooth and fast even on low end machines. Drivers are WAY easier to deal with on it as well. It detects new devices far easier and often installs drivers automatically (winXP never did that fir me...ever).

Is it worth the time and frustration of dealing with Windows XP to save $325? Thats the real question. I can say it would not be worth it to me though. Even if Microsoft was still supporting it, I'd regret not upgrading.

I was asking mainly because, regardless of if I got a new desktop or chromebook, there would be times I would want to stram on my 21" monitor instead of an 11" chromebook.
You can still use laptops (and I assume Chromebooks) with monitors. A cheap Win8 Laptop will do everything a desktop can do, including use mice and keyboards and monitors.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site

My concern is that Google seems pretty forgiving in that they will still support Donut, Eclair, Froyo, Gingerbread, devices for email, web surfing and making phone calls. It still also offers some security to those devices.

In contrast, Microsoft is saying all support for XP is done as of April.
Keep in mind that all of those Android OS's came out after the latest service pack for XP. The original version of XP came out 13 years ago.

I don't normally surf high risk sites, but does anyone think that Windows XP will be dropped from even being able to surf the internet, buy online, stream Netflix etc, and even have personal information at a much higher risk for being compromised?
The newer OS's are likely more secure, but all that stuff should still work for quite a while.

Alternatively, you can install some version of Linux on your current desktop. Ubuntu is usually pretty easy to set up, you can install it alongside XP (or even temporarily run it from a USB drive just to check it out) and is currently supported. Most all of the software for it is free, too. Though my guess is that XP will work for you until your desktop just up and dies.

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

Really appreciate all the feedback. I guess it really shows my lack of dependence on my current desktop, or stuborness, if I am willing to keep anantiquted machine, until it dies, because it meets my needs.

Still contemplatingmy options.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site

Really appreciate all the feedback. I guess it really shows my lack of dependence on my current desktop, or stuborness, if I am willing to keep anantiquted machine, until it dies, because it meets my needs.

Still contemplatingmy options.
If it really met your needs that well, you would not have even asked about upgrading. This thread would not exist. Just sayin.

There is obviously something you think it is lacking.

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

True. Mainly thought I was lacking security and was a little afraid to spit in the face of Steve Balmer and Bill Gates by keeping Windows XP a little while longer.

I might give some of the chromebooks a look. Tethering is cool and works well, but I'd even favor one a little more if it came with an internal LTE Radio.

I also think it's interesting how android and mobile tech in general has changed the way many people rely upon desktops/laptops etc.

I suppose wearable android wear may also have a big impact on the way we interact with our phones in the future, but that's another topic.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site

True. Mainly thought I was lacking security and was a little afraid to spit in the face of Steve Balmer and Bill Gates by keeping Windows XP a little while longer.
If security is an issue for you, I think you will regret not upgrading. Win8 is far more secure out of the box...and WinXP has been on the market so long, hackers will be able to exploit it far more easily. I think you are gambling (as far as security) if you decide to stay with it.

I might give some of the chromebooks a look.
Chromebooks have limited utility...you can't use them to root your phone for example. You can use them for web browsing and email, but thats about it. They are basically like a tablet. I personally would never replace a desktop PC with one. I'd sooner just get a real tablet...it will be more portable.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Chromebooks have a lot of utility, especially judging from what you typically use your desktop for. There's a lot you can do that is browser-based. Approach it with an open mind, and it may just open your eyes to a lot of possibilities.

Posted via Android Central App

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site

Chromebooks have limited utility...you can't use them to root your phone for example. You can use them for web browsing and email, but thats about it. They are basically like a tablet. I personally would never replace a desktop PC with one. I'd sooner just get a real tablet...it will be more portable.

Keep in mind that it is very much possible to run ADB and fastboot on ChromeOS, including the ARM hardware versions, if you've enabled Developer Mode.

Chromebooks have a lot of utility, especially judging from what you typically use your desktop for. There's a lot you can do that is browser-based. Approach it with an open mind, and it may just open your eyes to a lot of possibilities.

This. I'm sure Google is still working to add features, too.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

For the OP, I think it would depend on what you need the device to do. If you just browse the web, email, and such, a Chrome book is a much better way to go. I have the Acer 720 and it is amazing. I can screen mirror via my Chromecast, or an HDMI cable.

For me, my Windows 8 HP laptop is starting to see less and less activity. Windows 8 can be configured to boot immediately into Desktop mode, but if you are going to get a Windows PC, get one with a decent processor. At least a Haswell based processor, and at least 6 GB of RAM.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site

I guess it is going to depend on how much he wants to mess with it. I personally would not trade in a full desktop PC for something that is going to be a lot more limited. Especially for almost the same price point.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

You often say Chromebooks are more limited, but it really depends on what you need it for. There isn't much point in buying a computer with features you never use. I would argue that a cheap Windows laptop at nearly the same price point would be severely hindered by slow startup, high hard drive latency, and relatively shoddier build. And I say "nearly the same price point," because you'd need a Windows laptop that costs at least $300-400 to give any kind of decent performance. A $200 laptop (which is how much the Acer C720 costs) would essentially be a refurbished machine from 2-3 years ago running a Core2 Duo CPU. My wife had a Thinkpad with that processor, and it was slow even when it was new.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

And the annoyances (like no desktop) can be circumvented.

Have you used Windows 8? It definitely has a desktop :).

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site

You often say Chromebooks are more limited, but it really depends on what you need it for.
Not really. If I say I only need to make phone calls and nothing else, that does not mean a dumbphone is not more limited than a smartphone. It just means I can tolerate the limitations.

And maybe he can. Maybe he only needs very basic functions. But I can't think of anything the Chromebook can do that a Win 8 laptop cannot also do. The reverse is not true though.

You could probably even run Chrome OS on a Win8 laptop, along side Windows 8.

If he is replacing a desktop machine, I think a Chromebook would be a poor choice. He is not buying something that is being used in addition to a desktop.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

*"I normally use it for typing and printing a letter or spreadsheet, checking webmail, streaming Youtube, watching Netflix, shopping on Amazon or Ebay."

This is what the OP said. He doesn't need a desktop for this.

Look, it's just 200 bucks. Give it a try.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance