Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree52Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Banned

Global Posts
    414 Global Posts

Default The mobile OS war is over

Android dominates globally 2:1; iOS owns key Western countries

Thenextweb.com published the tell-tale figures.
    As the West is in decline while the rest is on the up the mid- to longterm prospects of Android are rosy.

Default Re: The mobile OS war is over

Quote Originally Posted by Vsweety View Post
    I'm not a big Apple fan, but don't you think that Android dominates because it's actually pretty cheaper than iPhones? I'm not speaking about the high-end devices. But you definitely can buy two decent Android devices instead of just one iPhone.
    quicksilver53 likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,480 Global Posts
    ROM
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

Quote Originally Posted by eggantom View Post
    I'm not a big Apple fan, but don't you think that Android dominates because it's actually pretty cheaper than iPhones?
    The argument I would make is that maybe people think iPhones are overpriced for what they do if they are willing to purchase Android instead.That they do not believe Apple products are worth the price Apple is asking for them.
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,844 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Vsweety View Post

Thenextweb.com published the tell-tale figures.
    As the West is in decline while the rest is on the up the mid- to longterm prospects of Android are rosy.
    It's Apple vs. a group of OEMs building phones on an open platform. There's something wrong if Android isn't winning in marketshare.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KTU84P, KitKat 4.4.4)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
    Thanked by:
    phonejunky and sting7k like this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,480 Global Posts
    ROM

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    It's Apple vs. a group of OEMs building phones on an open platform. There's something wrong if Android isn't winning in marketshare.
    If Apple really has the better product, why would it not be winning marketshare?

Hamburger Stand is cheaper than McDonalds...why is McDonalds still selling more? Why are generics at the store not outselling the name brands?
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,844 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JeffDenver View Post
    If Apple really has the better product, why would it not be winning marketshare?

Hamburger Stand is cheaper than McDonalds...why is McDonalds still selling more? Why are generics at the store not outselling the name brands?
    Order these companies by how many phones they sell: Samsung, Apple, Nokia, Motorola, LG, Sony, HTC, ZTE, Huawei.

Apple wants to be a premium brand. There's is nothing wrong with that. That doesn't make their products better. That doesn't mean it's competitors suck. Look at the automotive industry. There's a place for BMW and Mercedes among Toyota and GM. Volume doesn't mean the product is better. Volume also doesn't mean the product is worse.

It's all just different philosophies. Apple is more hardware than services. Google is using the open Android platform and the Google Play Store to get people to use Google services. Room for both. Not a zero sum game. They all want to lock you in. But if you guys want to argue about winning and losing by comparing sales and marketshare, go right ahead.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Thanked by 5:
    sting7k, A895, Brian Tapia and 2 others like this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,480 Global Posts
    ROM

Order these companies by how many phones they sell: Samsung, Apple, Nokia, Motorola, LG, Sony, HTC, ZTE, Huawei.
    I think Samsung still tops Apple in overall sales don't they?
    http://hexus.net/mobile/news/general...rst-time-2013/

Apple wants to be a premium brand.
    I agree. It appears that there are a lot of people who believe their brand is not worth paying for.
    Sanjay Chandra likes this.
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,844 Global Posts

I think Samsung still tops Apple in overall sales don't they?
    Probably.

I agree. It appears that there are a lot of people who believe their brand is not worth paying for.
    I don't see that at all in the US market. iPhones and Android flagships come in around the same on-contact price and people in the US still buy phones on-contact. That's changing now with what T-Mobile has done but I don't full-retail buyers make up any significant amount of customers.

Apple wants $650 for their base iPhone 5S. AT&T wants $640 for the HTC One. Verizon wants for the HTC One $600. T-Mobile wants $660 for the Samsung Galaxy S5. Sprint wants $650 for the Samsung Galaxy S5. The "premium" Apple product falls right in-line but perception is killer.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo

phonejunky, A895 and undulose like this.

Finally. Someone with common sense. Ry I appreciate your post. They aren't oh Google's better look how many phone they sell. It's Apple vs Everyone when it comes to the Google operating system. Apple has offered for the most part one choice until recently. Apple still has amazing sells numbers but they gear towards a smaller market. It's common since Googles operating system is on more handsets and sells more. Doesn't mean Apple doesn't produce a great device themselves and surpass their own sales goal consistently.
    Last edited by phonejunky; 03-25-2014 at 11:12 PM.
    Thanked by:
    Ry 
    Ry likes this.

Do we really gain any benefit if these numbers are mostly junk phone sales? I mean, it's not like google gaining revenue in the App Store from these people.
    Thanked by:
    Ry 
    Ry likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,480 Global Posts
    ROM

I don't see that at all in the US market.
    I see it especially in the US market, because the US is a wealthy nation. People here can afford iPhones. So if they are not buying them, it is not because they can't afford them.

There really is no getting around the fact that people are making a choice. Even on-contract, there are Android phones at all the same price points as iPhones. But people are buying Android phones instead.

Apple wants $650 for their base iPhone 5S. AT&T wants $640 for the HTC One. Verizon wants for the HTC One $600. T-Mobile wants $660 for the Samsung Galaxy S5. Sprint wants $650 for the Samsung Galaxy S5. The "premium" Apple product falls right in-line but perception is killer.
    Maybe they do not see it as being premium? Which is understandable if it only does half as much.
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,480 Global Posts
    ROM

Quote Originally Posted by RavenSword View Post
    Do we really gain any benefit if these numbers are mostly junk phone sales? I mean, it's not like google gaining revenue in the App Store from these people.
    Google is gaining a platform free from Censorship. Which might be important if you make your money off ads. In a closed system, the gatekeeper can decide to block your ads in favor of it's own if it wants.

Why are people buying these "junk phones" if they can get an iPhone for the same price? What is Android offering them that they cannot get from Apple?

Global Posts
    6,283 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

The argument I would make is that maybe people think iPhones are overpriced for what they do if they are willing to purchase Android instead.That they do not believe Apple products are worth the price Apple is asking for them.
    I'm sure there are plenty of savvy folks out there that feel that way.

via the phone
    Live long and prosper.

Ry

Global Posts
    7,844 Global Posts

I see it especially in the US market, because the US is a wealthy nation. People here can afford iPhones. So if they are not buying them, it is not because they can't afford them.

There really is no getting around the fact that people are making a choice. Even on-contract, there are Android phones at all the same price points as iPhones. But people are buying Android phones instead.
    https://www.comscore.com/Insights/Pr...r_Market_Share

In US devices, it's 40% Apple, 25% Samsung.

In US platform market share, it's 40% iOS, 50% Android.

People are still buying and using iPhones. Yeah, in the US people are making a choice. Nearly half are still picking iPhone.

Posted via Android Central App
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo

phonejunky likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,480 Global Posts
    ROM

People are still buying and using iPhones. Yeah, in the US people are making a choice. Nearly half are still picking iPhone.
    Over half of them are choosing Android phones over any iPhone in the US, according to your own link. By a 10% margin even. It's not even close.

So why are they buying Android phones instead of iPhones if it is not because of cost?

I do think that if Apple offered cheaper new phones the Android 'domination' would be smaller. The free phone Apple offers is 2 years old. Or if Apple had affordable devices off contract they would be selling more devices.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  
    Banned

Global Posts
    414 Global Posts

Google is gaining a platform free from Censorship.
    (Italics mine)

Ah, wouldn't that be nice!
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,844 Global Posts

Over half of them are choosing Android phones over any iPhone in the US, according to your own link. By a 10% margin even. It's not even close.

So why are they buying Android phones instead of iPhones if it is not because of cost?
    10% isn't that large. But why does Apple have to lose for Android to win? It's silly.

Apple continues to sell more iPhones than it ever has. They're doing just fine.

http://mashable.com/2013/05/15/larry...gle-io-speech/

The talk continued in that vein as Page discussed the competitive thinking that he says stifles innovation and collaboration. "When I read about us in the press, it's always us vs. some other company or some stupid thing," Page said. "I just don't find that interesting." Page added that "most important things are not a zero-sum game. There's a lot of opportunity out there."
    This war? This negativity? You can have it.

a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo

Thanked by 2:

Global Posts
    6,283 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Thanks Ry, you nailed it.

via the phone
    Live long and prosper.

_X_

Global Posts
    638 Global Posts

If you drop all the Android competitor and just pair up Samsung vs Apple and you'll see Android is still dominating.

The logic you follow still is false when the iPhone came out Windows phones where made by a multitude of vendors, by yoyr logic they should have never surpassed Windows.
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,844 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by _X_ View Post
    If you drop all the Android competitor and just pair up Samsung vs Apple and you'll see Android is still dominating.

The logic you follow still is false when the iPhone came out Windows phones where made by a multitude of vendors, by yoyr logic they should have never surpassed Windows.
    My point is that can coexist and this "war" is silly. Apple doesn't need to lose in order for Android to thrive.

Apple isn't floundering, contrary to what some link-bait sites want you to believe. Record revenue? Record sales? So much cash in the bank? lol.

a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo

Thanked by:

Japan belongs to Apple: iPhone claims top 10 spots in total smartphone sales in November

japan iphone
    In news that Android fanboys will likely want to spit at, Japans top 10 smartphone sales chart currently reads 100-percent iPhone, it has been revealed.

Now carried by all three of the countrys biggest mobile providers, Apples iPhone has become immensely popular in Japan in recent years and is seemingly the must-have mobile this November.

Despite strong competition from Samsungs Galaxy series and Sony with its Xperia Z1 (released in Japan on October 23), across Japans three biggest mobile carriers, NTT docomo, KDDIs au, and Softbank, Apples smartphones now hold the entire top 10 in the sales chart, proving once and for all that despite its initial reluctance to embrace smartphones, Japan now simply adores iPhone.

NTT docomo claimed the most iPhone sales overall, perhaps on account of the 5s and 5c being the first iPhones the mobile operator has ever carried and its customers leaping on the chance to get a little bit of shiny new Apple tech.

Total handset sales across all networks

1. iPhone 5s 32GB (NTT docomo)

2. iPhone 5c 16GB (Softbank)

3. iPhone 5s 64GB (Softbank)

4. iPhone 5s 32GB (Softbank)

5. iPhone 5s 32GB (au)

6. iPhone 5s 16GB (Softbank)

7. iPhone 5s 16GB (au)

8. iPhone 5c 16GB (au)

9. iPhone 5s 16GB (NTT docomo)

10. iPhone 5s 64GB (au)
    LG-isai
    Thanked by:
    phonejunky likes this.

Global Posts
    6,283 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Ry, some don't want peaceful coexistence. Not sure why but that's the way it is.

via the phone
    Live long and prosper.

phonejunky and spencerdl like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Haalcyon View Post
    Ry, some don't want peaceful coexistence. Not sure why but that's the way it is.

via the phone
    Some, but not all. I have both (5s and Note3), and use them for entirely different reasons. I like both devices. In my BEST New York (Brooklyn) accent...."you gotta a problem wit tat"....SMILE
    Haalcyon likes this.

Ry no matter how often you post the common sense answer, and show Apple is still widely successful despite Android being successful as well these Android groupies will argue with you. They want it to appear Apple is failing horrifically no matter what, and will argue that position until you agree. The reason for this phenomenon who knows. It's entertaining to watch though.
    Ry, spencerdl and Haalcyon like this.
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast