Which is worse? HTC keeping 4mp camera or Samsung keeping plastic design?

Vsweety

Banned
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Re: U rather have s5 plastic design over htc 4mp or vice versa?

plastic/poly-carbonate is a much more practical material.

Plastics/poly-carbonates are hard or semi-hard. Protects well against scratching. Hardly against shocks, drops, and bumps. Silicone rubber is much better because it's also got superior shock absorbing qualities.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Re: Which is worse htc keeping 4mp or Samsung keeping plastic design?

Don't need reviews. I have both phones right in front of me

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

Last edited:

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site

Megapixels, ultra pixels, super pixels - you can put lipstick on a pig but it's still a pig. 4mp is still 4mp. It doesn't matter how HTC sugarcoats it. The reviews have universally bashed the camera and the photos look worse than those I took on my $200 (off contract) Galaxy S3 mini - a two year old mid range device with a 5mp shooter. If you want to zoom on a 4mp camera, I say forget it. I'm not going to sit frustrated at a baseball game or in a large crowd dealing with blurry and choppy zoom. What's a contextual dual lens if your photo sucks anyways.

Samsung is by no means producing cutting edge design or jaw dropping interfaces. But at least they are smart enough to focus their time, energy, and money on features that matter. The damn camera. I find it absurd that Samsung has drawn deep criticism for 'gimmicky' features when year after year, they seem to get the most important stuff right. A great camera, a great screen, durability, and functionality. If HTC would've just ditched the gimmicky megaultrasuperduperpixel in favor of a familiar shooter, they probably would've won the race.

Posted via Android Central App

+1

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site

HTC ones camera blows the S3 away

Sent from my EVO using AC Forums mobile app

Not really. The S3 produces much more detailed pics that can be blown up on my TV and still look great. Try that with the m7 and it's night and day difference.

Topgonzo

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site

With 4MPs? In 2014? I guess you haven't read the reviews yet. :cool:

Every person I've either read or heard on this forum pretty much says the camera is awesome and there's plenty of threads you can look for yourself. I don't care what reviewers say but more so the actual people who use it.

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Vsweety

Banned
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site

Don't need reviews. I have both phones right in front of me

Excellent! Then make a range of pictures at max image quality settings in the HTC One (M8) and exactly the same range of pictures with the S3. Then transfer those to a desktop PC with a large screen (the larger the better) and compare them carefully, side-by-side on-screen. Literally. Then surprise us with your conclusions.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating, after all.

nedia_r

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site

Because it is a tool, not jewelry.

And I say that without sarcasm. That is the real answer. It's a tool. I might be able to appreciate a good looking hammer, but at the end of the day, the one that is better at driving nails is going to be the one I prefer. I would only care about looks if the functionality was the same.

Some people appreciate the entire experience of using a product which includes the design, how it's made, and in the case of a phone - how hardware and software combine. It's more than just an object, it's the emotional experience of connecting with a well made product. I guess some people can't understand that though, which is why they are happy to use an ugly, poorly made device, as long as it "functions" ok. Each to their own.

If the functionality of the phone is important to you, and if you're sensible and careful with sensitive high-tech gadgets, you will protect the phone with a bumper case or a flip cover or similar. That radically changes the entire phone's appearance and completely hides its backside. So then you paid for the phone's prettiness but can't even see it IRL...

I'm sensible and careful which is why I don't use a case.

FishenFool

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site

Some people just can't appreciate good design. That's ok though.

It's a phone/portable computing device for gawd sake not a fashion statement.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

FishenFool

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Re: U rather have s5 plastic design over htc 4mp or vice versa?

Idk...If the M8 could cook bacon I might over look the camera. :p

Only if it would also toast bread, slice tomatoes, shred lettuce and spread mayo so I can have BLTs. :cool:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Vsweety

Banned
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site

Some people appreciate the entire experience of using a product which includes the design, how it's made, and in the case of a phone - how hardware and software combine. It's more than just an object, it's the emotional experience of connecting with a well made product.

Do you work for these people? That is straight out of the press release.

I'm sensible and careful which is why I don't use a case.

Ah! Another expensive accident waiting to happen! :cool: And fully deserved too.

djjeffa

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
I have the EVO LTE wich I picked over the g3 I had them side by side and used the camera and like the the EVO a bit more but the metal case was what it ezier for me to pick now I'm looking at the g5 or the one and I'm torn cause I think my old phone has a better camera than it.

Sent from my EVO LTE using Tapatalk 2

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site

Some people appreciate the entire experience of using a product which includes the design, how it's made, and in the case of a phone - how hardware and software combine.
They are using it like Jewelry. It is not merely a tool to them. Which is fine...I myself would never spend several hundred extra for a pretty case though. Not on a product I'll be replacing in 18 months or less anyway.

It's more than just an object, it's the emotional experience of connecting with a well made product. I guess some people can't understand that though, which is why they are happy to use an ugly, poorly made device, as long as it "functions" ok.
I think that is most people. You can always buy a case to cover up an ugly phone. But you can't add functionality in the same way.

Geodude074

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site

Every person I've either read or heard on this forum pretty much says the camera is awesome and there's plenty of threads you can look for yourself. I don't care what reviewers say but more so the actual people who use it.

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Every site I've been to that has reviewed the M8 has criticized its terrible camera. Every site that has done a comparison between the M8's pictures and its rivals' pictures has concluded that the M8 has the worst camera in the group.

I've seen plenty of pictures taken with the M8 side by side the competition, and the M8 comes in last place, every time.

4 MP is still 4 MP, whether or not it's "Ultrapixels". You can put lipstick on a pig all you want, but it's still a pig.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site

ARS compared the camera M8 to the iPhone 5S...and it is not pretty:

HTC One M8 Review: An unambitious update to a premium smartphone | Ars Technica

M8 pictures are REALLY washed out, and the removal of OIS makes the video much more jittery now. The new One does not even beat the nexus 5 in multi-core performance, which is (IMO) inexcusable for a 2014 flagship.

HTC-M8-performance-2.002.png