Why do people pre-order phones?

Oofa

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Help me understand the whole "pre-order" of a phone. First off, it bothers me that "pre-order" is a jumble of meaningless words. How can you order something before you order it? It's as dumb as "pre-qualifying" for credit.

Next, why would someone want a phone that they haven't even seen or even read any day to day use reviews? What if the phone ends up with a horrible problem (like most phones do when first released)? I buy a lot of phones but I wait until I can get a clear picture of bugs and quality issues from users, not from bloggers that un-box a phone and claim good or bad based on 2 minutes of usage. I must be missing something because the whole pre-order thing is very popular.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Help me understand the whole "pre-order" of a phone. First off, it bothers me that "pre-order" is a jumble of meaningless words. How can you order something before you order it? It's as dumb as "pre-qualifying" for credit.

Next, why would someone want a phone that they haven't even seen or even read any day to day use reviews? What if the phone ends up with a horrible problem (like most phones do when first released)? I buy a lot of phones but I wait until I can get a clear picture of bugs and quality issues from users, not from bloggers that un-box a phone and claim good or bad based on 2 minutes of usage. I must be missing something because the whole pre-order thing is very popular.

To get it first (sometimes pre-orders arrive a day or two before the official launch day, although that's not guaranteed).

And they still have a return policy. So people basing their decisions on reviews aren't just stuck with it if they end up not liking it.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
People pre-order to get a guaranteed phone on a guaranteed date (usually).

Phones do have return policies as Kevin said so.. They can always return it. Now a days most things about a phone are leaked ahead of time.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
It kind of depends on the device too. Let's say for a moment the second generation Moto X has been announced, and not much is changing aside from hardware upgrades. Based on my use of the moto X to begin with, I would be very tempted to place a preorder.

From a Liquid Nexus 5

Vsweety

Banned
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site

Couldn't agree more.

Next, why would someone want a phone that they haven't even seen or even read any day to day use reviews?

To be 'hip', or 'cool', or whatever you want to call it... To be the first among their mates to have got the latest and greatest. It's a pissing contest out there...
And the Samsungs, Apples, HTCs, Motorolas, Sprints, ATTs, etc., out there are all laughing all the way to the bank.

What if the phone ends up with a horrible problem (like most phones do when first released)? I buy a lot of phones but I wait until I can get a clear picture of bugs and quality issues from users, not from bloggers that un-box a phone and claim good or bad based on 2 minutes of usage. I must be missing something because the whole pre-order thing is very popular.

I think it is more popular among manufacturers and suppliers than among users, because manufacturers and suppliers can chalk up sales, and bank it!, even before shipping the stuff. And they use the pre-ordering thing as a way to generate advance publicity. To hype it. A.k.a. 'PR', public relations. It's (a lot) cheaper than advertising.
And like the others said: you can return it if necessary. And you get normal warranty and service.
But you pay, or at least commit before delivery, possibly even before physical manufacture. And that's all that counts in bookkeeping. On paper the dough is already in.

Last edited:

Oofa

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Based on my use of the moto X to begin with, I would be very tempted to place a preorder.

From a Liquid Nexus 5

I don't understand. Why would you order (no such thing as pre-order) a Moto X2 before it's available in stores? Why not just wait until the phone is available?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I don't understand. Why would you order (no such thing as pre-order) a Moto X2 before it's available in stores? Why not just wait until the phone is available?

It would reserve one. If it was a hot device that would be anticipated to sell, in that instance, you would be guaranteed one.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I only pre-ordered two phones. The 4S when my wife needed a Verizon compatible phone and my s3 to keep UDP. Usually I see no reason to preorder as it is usually full price. There can be better deals. Like I got my note 3 on release day online with in store pickup for $90 .had I pre ordered, no way would I be able to get that pricing. Or you can get two m8 for $70 a piece on release day.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro