Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Kevin O'Quinn
  • 1 Post By Almeuit
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    583 Global Posts

Default Why do people pre-order phones?

Help me understand the whole "pre-order" of a phone. First off, it bothers me that "pre-order" is a jumble of meaningless words. How can you order something before you order it? It's as dumb as "pre-qualifying" for credit.

Next, why would someone want a phone that they haven't even seen or even read any day to day use reviews? What if the phone ends up with a horrible problem (like most phones do when first released)? I buy a lot of phones but I wait until I can get a clear picture of bugs and quality issues from users, not from bloggers that un-box a phone and claim good or bad based on 2 minutes of usage. I must be missing something because the whole pre-order thing is very popular.
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,155 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: Why do people pre-order phones?

Quote Originally Posted by Oofa View Post
    Help me understand the whole "pre-order" of a phone. First off, it bothers me that "pre-order" is a jumble of meaningless words. How can you order something before you order it? It's as dumb as "pre-qualifying" for credit.

Next, why would someone want a phone that they haven't even seen or even read any day to day use reviews? What if the phone ends up with a horrible problem (like most phones do when first released)? I buy a lot of phones but I wait until I can get a clear picture of bugs and quality issues from users, not from bloggers that un-box a phone and claim good or bad based on 2 minutes of usage. I must be missing something because the whole pre-order thing is very popular.
    To get it first (sometimes pre-orders arrive a day or two before the official launch day, although that's not guaranteed).

And they still have a return policy. So people basing their decisions on reviews aren't just stuck with it if they end up not liking it.
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.
    Thanked by:
    UJ95x 
    VDub2174 likes this.

People pre-order to get a guaranteed phone on a guaranteed date (usually).

Phones do have return policies as Kevin said so.. They can always return it. Now a days most things about a phone are leaked ahead of time.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.
    VDub2174 likes this.

Global Posts
    21,638 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

It kind of depends on the device too. Let's say for a moment the second generation Moto X has been announced, and not much is changing aside from hardware upgrades. Based on my use of the moto X to begin with, I would be very tempted to place a preorder.

From a Liquid Nexus 5

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
    Banned

Global Posts
    414 Global Posts

Couldn't agree more.

Next, why would someone want a phone that they haven't even seen or even read any day to day use reviews?
    To be 'hip', or 'cool', or whatever you want to call it... To be the first among their mates to have got the latest and greatest. It's a pissing contest out there...
    And the Samsungs, Apples, HTCs, Motorolas, Sprints, ATTs, etc., out there are all laughing all the way to the bank.

What if the phone ends up with a horrible problem (like most phones do when first released)? I buy a lot of phones but I wait until I can get a clear picture of bugs and quality issues from users, not from bloggers that un-box a phone and claim good or bad based on 2 minutes of usage. I must be missing something because the whole pre-order thing is very popular.
    I think it is more popular among manufacturers and suppliers than among users, because manufacturers and suppliers can chalk up sales, and bank it!, even before shipping the stuff. And they use the pre-ordering thing as a way to generate advance publicity. To hype it. A.k.a. 'PR', public relations. It's (a lot) cheaper than advertising.
    And like the others said: you can return it if necessary. And you get normal warranty and service.
    But you pay, or at least commit before delivery, possibly even before physical manufacture. And that's all that counts in bookkeeping. On paper the dough is already in.
    Last edited by Vsweety; 03-27-2014 at 05:47 PM.

I've only pre-ordered a phone once; the Note 2 (via Verizon's website). I did so to guarantee that I'd get a white one and that it'd be delivered on a specified date. I just didn't want to take my chances at a local store. Not to mention, I have little patience to deal with potential in store hassles (ex. wait for other customers in line before me or the store employee trying to up sell me on something, or trying to talk me out of my grandfathered unlimited data, or taking the phone out of the box to mess with it. I want to be the only person touching my new phone after it's left the factory. ).

But prior to pulling the trigger I did a lot of research on the phone; including online and checking out dummie phones at Best Buy and Sam's Club and actual working display models at AT&T (they had the phone available prior to Verizon having it) so I had a very good feel for the device in hand and knew what to expect in its setup/operation. I also checked out accessory options (ex. holster/pouch, spare battery and external charger) and placed orders for them. Actually received them prior to getting the phone, so I was completely prepared once the phone actually arrived. /my two cents.

Edit: I'll probably do the same thing with my next phone (Note 4).
    Last edited by Synycalwon; 03-27-2014 at 07:42 PM.
    Thanked by:
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    583 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Based on my use of the moto X to begin with, I would be very tempted to place a preorder.

From a Liquid Nexus 5
    I don't understand. Why would you order (no such thing as pre-order) a Moto X2 before it's available in stores? Why not just wait until the phone is available?

Global Posts
    21,638 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

I don't understand. Why would you order (no such thing as pre-order) a Moto X2 before it's available in stores? Why not just wait until the phone is available?
    It would reserve one. If it was a hot device that would be anticipated to sell, in that instance, you would be guaranteed one.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here

I only pre-ordered two phones. The 4S when my wife needed a Verizon compatible phone and my s3 to keep UDP. Usually I see no reason to preorder as it is usually full price. There can be better deals. Like I got my note 3 on release day online with in store pickup for $90 .had I pre ordered, no way would I be able to get that pricing. Or you can get two m8 for $70 a piece on release day.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro