Is Android a privacy nightmare?

Alik Malix

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Re: is Android a privacy nightmare?

Yeh, I see. Thanks for the clear up... But you would think that the best way to protect it's customers is to at least show a list of permissions upfront, instead of wasting your time downloading that - happy to see that. How long until Google allows you to finetune your permissions? Any Word?

I think the reason I read "misleading" was the fact that you didn't state that Apple allows you to choose your permissions even though it doesn't review it in the App Store (that would be nice, btw). I prefer choosing each permission than just being able to review them...

But you're right you were not misleading, just not upfront...

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

But you're right you were not misleading, just not upfront...

I'm going to guess that the average iPhone user probably doesn't know about digging into the permissions to select which ones to allow and which ones not to allow. Not to say that iPhone users are less tech-savvy than Android users--it's just that Android users don't have this option, and if Android did have this option, the average Android user also wouldn't know to dig into the permissions. So I would venture to say that the vast majority of iPhone users simply install all of their apps without having a clue as to what they have access to. Power users like you will know, but you probably account for about 10-20% of the user base. So is having this ability to customize permissions a good thing if most users don't really know about it or care? The way Google does it, the user is immediately confronted with these permissions, and therefore is more likely (if only by a little bit) to think about it.

Before KitKat, there was a way to accept and reject individual permissions (App Opps), but Google stopped that ability with KitKat. Here's an article that explains why in some detail: What is App Ops, and why did Google remove it from Android? | Pocketnow

And look, I'm not trying to fool or bamboozle or lie or anything. I'm simply stating that it is easier to review app permissions on Google Play or the Amazon Appstore than it is on the Apple App Store.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site

Hi!

In my case, I categorically refuse to use Google+, I think that's where the major privacy issues are. And I don't use Chrome either. I could be completely ignorant and deluded in the matter, though, but I do get the feeling that with these 2 out of the picture, I retain more privacy. Anyone please feel free to set me straight. ;)

Ditto and Ditto - and that's not cause I like you. The day Chrome wanted legal access to my camera, benignly and within privacy legislation or not; the whole concept was horrendous, along with the sneaky way of adding it to permissions knowing many became used to using only Chrome. Never liked Chrome, web or Android anyhow.
Google+ I have disabled. I don't need artificial friends and invites, and I will find my own restaurants and concert tickets, thank you.
Madd54, 00 Conspiracy Avenue, Paranoid City.
(OK - B. Diddy and others had good points.)
Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro

Alik Malix

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

I'm going to guess that the average iPhone user probably doesn't know about digging into the permissions to select which ones to allow and which ones not to allow. Not to say that iPhone users are less tech-savvy than Android users--it's just that Android users don't have this option, and if Android did have this option, the average Android user also wouldn't know to dig into the permissions. So I would venture to say that the vast majority of iPhone users simply install all of their apps without having a clue as to what they have access to. Power users like you will know, but you probably account for about 10-20% of the user base. So is having this ability to customize permissions a good thing if most users don't really know about it or care? The way Google does it, the user is immediately confronted with these permissions, and therefore is more likely (if only by a little bit) to think about it.

Before KitKat, there was a way to accept and reject individual permissions (App Opps), but Google stopped that ability with KitKat. Here's an article that explains why in some detail: What is App Ops, and why did Google remove it from Android? | Pocketnow

And look, I'm not trying to fool or bamboozle or lie or anything. I'm simply stating that it is easier to review app permissions on Google Play or the Amazon Appstore than it is on the Apple App Store.

I agree with everything you said. :) especially the fact that most users android or ios do not know the capabilities of their devices to protect yourself. Thanks for the reply. And I know you were not trying to lie or anything. It's just that stirring the pot make people take notice and maybe, just maybe dig deeper than their Facebook app and get to know their options. Apple will ask you pun installing to verify SOME permissions before you use it (I put the word "some" because you're right that some permissions sometimes need to be handled manually within settings, which like u said many will not know about).

I always recommend folks that have phone setup concerns to go to Apple Store and have it all explained and tuned to their concerns/preferences. Simple toggles on iOS or Android make a huge difference to those that are concerned like the OP.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site

I could care less about what information is being collected about me on the net, I trust Google, as well as Apple - they're too big to car about my little things... I'm not a criminal, nor am I a terrorist, or in a gang, or a secret anti-government cell. I obey the law. ...

My point would be that information is allowed to be collected about you via computers. Computer information is collated and dissected by people. Many people's information collated by many poorly paid people.
I know my paper medical records have been incorrect and 'doctored' for a long time. (No offense to you doc B. Diddy - different country here, different system). Nothing psychiatric or a psychological I should add. (I think! :))

Right now you are a law abiding, nothing to hide, clean living citizen (we can also only take your word - ha ha). However, right now you could be listed as a person to watch. If some security/other organisation were able or were asked to further use Google to assess the movements and patterns of an individual or organisation, they may have inadvertently been directed to you in error. Talk about a spiralling chain of events and reactions caused by someone or some program taking a wrong turn early in the process.
Google and similar leaves us all vulnerable, and truth is we likely would never know what incompetence caused our possible downfall in the first place.
I don't take this too seriously or worry about it myself. I'm just extending the logic, as I see it.
We don't need personalised recommendations based on our patterns. There should be an outcry and rethink of take it or leave it permission systems.
Good point about Apple I wasn't aware of. And thanks to the poster about using an anonymous ID on Google, though I doubt one could hide all the links to one's self.

Last edited:

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site

Oh my god! That's my old thread! I changed my name a couple months ago though.

Sent from my XT1060 using Mobile Nations mobile app
Ha! A coincidence with a new member, unless you wanted more attention again using a second ID. Hey, that's Google level sneaky!
Your thread wasn't very old, and a good one. Move it there. Or get an attorney. :)

DS1331

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Am I the only person on earth who couldn't care less about corporate / government spying? People still cling to antiquated notions of what's supposed to constitute privacy. Get used to the fact that every facet of your life has the potential for being monitored by somebody somewhere! Big Brother has indeed arrived. He was just later than expected. AND, there is no turning back ...

X-9 = 2B^3

I agree lol I'm not selling drugs or anything if they wanna see what I do on my phone be my guess it's worth it considering what my phone does for me every single day. As long as no one steals money from my bank or leaks pictures I could care less.

Sent from my XT1053 using AC Forums mobile app

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
When you can shut stuff down without penalty I go for it too. Many will say I am missing out. I wonder if I can switch to an anonymous Google ID at this stage. Apart from needing a card linked for app purchases, it probably would work. I don't want to reset my phone though, ideally.
yhyvemu2.jpg

buggerlugz

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
The question isn't whether or not you are a law abiding citizen, it is "where does this end?"

People should be shouting this from rooftops, yet even the EFF isnt' doing anything constructive to tackle this.

Currently the situation is you put up with a complete lack of privacy and have a full featured android phone with load of great apps you can use COSTING YOU YOUR PRIVACY.

The sad alternative is if you have privacy concerns you will currently end up with the worlds most inadequate smart phone ever made, hardly any apps running which is completely unproductive and pointless.

That, or ROOTing your phone.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Or people could pay fees or taxes to use and fund a completely public internet, or pay for any kind of service, without anything for free--but is that even realistically possible? Everyone is so used to getting things for free, but companies need to be able to monetize their services in order to survive and provide those services, and the primary way is to gather information for advertising. Obviously, there need to be safeguards against inappropriate usage of that information--I'm only making the argument for collecting information for classification and advertising purposes.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Not sure if I already posted in this thread or if it's already been said? In your phone settings you can turn off a lot of the Google tracking stuff. Look at Settings, Security entries as well as Settings,Accounts settings. A bunch of things you can opt out of in those settings. ;)

Sent from my LG-LG870 using Tapatalk 2

DS1331

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Not sure if I already posted in this thread or if it's already been said? In your phone settings you can turn off a lot of the Google tracking stuff. Look at Settings, Security entries as well as Settings,Accounts settings. A bunch of things you can opt out of in those settings. ;)

Sent from my LG-LG870 using Tapatalk 2

I feel like those are just there to make you feel safe and they still collect data and can read anything on your phone at any minute

Sent from my XT1053 using AC Forums mobile app

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781