Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default What's do you use for phone, tablet, and desktop?

I'm curious if any users here use any other devices that are not android. Like, do you use android for your phone , or a iPad for your tablet? Or maybe vice versa? What about windows devices? A PC? Mac?

See, I think the place I want to be is having a android smartphone , a iPad , and either a Mac or PC. But I have no clue if that muddled ecosystem threesome could even work effectively? Would I run into road blocks? Incompatibilities? Frustrations?

While I think android is great for smartphones, tablets I'm still iffy on. My nexus 7 is cool, but dosent seem as smooth or good as the phones. And not as good of a tablet as my iPad.

As far as what my computer is, does it matter if it's windows or a Mac? I mean , macs are pretty pricy, but I hear there better computers ?

I perhaps have a irrational fear of incompatibilities , lock in , and wether completely different ecosystems can and cannot work together for a user.

What's your take? What's your setup?
    Thanked by:

Default Re: What's do you use for phone, tablet, and desktop?

Nexus 5, Nexus 7 (both 2013 and 2012), Asus TF300T, and two Windows 8.1 machines (desktop and laptop). Also an Acer C720 Chromebook. I don't have any significant compatibility issues with Windows 8.1.

In regards to iOS devices, Google does make some nice iOS versions of their apps, so you can sync information pretty smoothly among Google apps, even if you have an iPad or iPhone.

I have a note 3 and an s3 for my personal phones. I also have an iPhone.

HP laptop and and iPad. I use g mail so i have ZERO issues.

Don't worry so much

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

My phone is a galaxy note 3, my tablet is galaxy note pro, my laptop is a mac book air but oddly enough, I hardly ever use it anymore since I've gotten my note pro.

Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

Phone: HTC One (M7)
    Tablet: Nexus 7 (2013)
    Laptop: MAC Book PRO (2014), Lennovo Laptop (Windows 8.1)
    Desktop: Custom built gaming rig with Windows 7. (2013)

I think that is all my devices!

Phone: Moto X
    Laptop: HP Split X2 with W8.1

I don't want a tablet right now I don't think. If anything for my next device purchase, I'll get the Moto 360 or the Nvidia Shield.

Sent from my XT1060 using Mobile Nations mobile app

Global Posts
    24,603 Global Posts
    ROM
    SlimKat

My phone is a toss up between a Nexus 5 or a Moto X. Tablet is a Galaxy Tab 2. Laptop is an HP with Windows 8.1 and an Acer C720 Chromebook.

From a Liquid Nexus 5

What could not be changed, must be endured - New Spring, by Robert Jordan
    Community Guidelines and also here, Developer Rules, and Marketplace
    Mobile Nations Sister Forums: iMore/Connectedly/Windows Central/Crackberry

Global Posts
    625 Global Posts

I have a nexus 5 an iPad mini retina and a Toshiba windows 7 laptop. I don't have any issues syncing things. I think it helps that, as mentioned, I use mostly Google services which are available on all three platforms easily.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

My phone is a Galaxy S3, my tablet is a Nexus 10, and my computer is a Dell running Windows 8.

Global Posts
    1,035 Global Posts

I rotate SIM into either my Note 3 or Nexus 5 depending on day/mood; tablet is iPad mini; laptop is a 2012 MacBook Air 13" which I don't seem to use very much anymore.

Posted via Android Central App

IPhone 5s
    Retina iPad mini
    11" MacBook Air
    27" imac
    Apple TV.

Either way, I believe there are sufficient workarounds that you should be able to sync your data across all your devices readily enough, regardless of what platforms you are on.

Global Posts
    4,589 Global Posts
    ROM
    I'M RUNNING STOCK BABY!

Phones: HTC One X, Xperia TL, Lumia 1520
    Tablet: Nexus 7, TF300
    Laptop: Dell Latitude E6430s (i7,8GB Ram, 1TB Drive, Windows 7)

Don't worry about incompatibility issues :')

"In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." - Abraham Lincoln

Desktop: HP Envy 700-214 (Windows 8.1)
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

I'm sort of wondering if I started using Microsoft services like one drive, outlook.com, and office if that can seemingly mesh with iOS and android. PARTICULARLY Android. I mean, does using android and not having gmail and drive as your main make sense? (Note: I'm not going crazy and am starting to use bing, skype, yammer, or whatever the hell else they do. I'm just talking email, cloud storage, and productivity suite.)

Quote Originally Posted by RavenSword View Post
    I'm sort of wondering if I started using Microsoft services like one drive, outlook.com, and office if that can seemingly mesh with iOS and android. PARTICULARLY Android. I mean, does using android and not having gmail and drive as your main make sense? (Note: I'm not going crazy and am starting to use bing, skype, yammer, or whatever the hell else they do. I'm just talking email, cloud storage, and productivity suite.)
    I use Microsoft services now. Google does not have to be the venter of everything. I use One drive for all my storage, and my outlook is my maim email. That's what makes using a Windows 8.1 machine so easy. I also have a Xbox live account and I own a 4-5 movies on there and watch then through the app on windows 8.

16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Quote Originally Posted by A895 View Post
    I use Microsoft services now. Google does not have to be the venter of everything. I use One drive for all my storage, and my outlook is my maim email. That's what makes using a Windows 8.1 machine so easy. I also have a Xbox live account and I own a 4-5 movies on there and watch then through the app on windows 8.

Out of curiosity, what made you decide to switch to Microsoft? I wonder if I would run into rough patches if I didn't use windows 8.1 and instead a Mac.

Out of curiosity, what made you decide to switch to Microsoft? I wonder if I would run into rough patches if I didn't use windows 8.1 and instead a Mac.
    Microsoft is easier to use for me. I also see a future possibly where I might use a Windows Phone. I also prefer cross platform services, Google services is not the most cross platform. Outlook and OneDrive can be accessed on any platform.

Phone: Galaxy S4
    Tablet: iPad4
    Laptop: Acer Aspire on Windows 7
    Desktop: Mac

Happy with my setup, no issues at all. I also find Android tablets 'iffy', I had the 1st Galaxy Tab10.1 and that put me off them.
    Samsung GALAXY S 4 32GB Exynos Octa Black Mist
    Samsung GALAXY S II 16GB Ceramic White
    Apple iPad4 WiFi+3G/LTE 16GB

Tablet: nVidia Shield
    Desktop: Lenovo Y510P with SLI GPUs
    Thanked by:
    A895 
    A895 likes this.

phone- moto x
    tablet- 7" nexus 7 2012; 10" transformer prime
    laptop- asus with windows 7

Quote Originally Posted by someguy01234 View Post
    Tablet: nVidia Shield
    Desktop: Lenovo Y510P with SLI GPUs
    I want a shield so badly.

I want a shield so badly.

It's going for $180 at Newegg.com, when you check out, enter the code VMEMADNESS, then choose the checkout option V.me by Visa.

I bought it because of the $199 sale and I thought if I didn't like it I could resell for more on ebay and not lose the money, but it turn out to be excellent. The only thing I don't like is the DPAD which is almost useless for fighting games. Also a few apps doesn't rotate 90 degree, but it's due to the developers. Otherwise it's the fastest Android device I've ever used, really good for multimedia in general, not just gaming.
    Thanked by:
    A895 
    A895 likes this.
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

Microsoft is easier to use for me. I also see a future possibly where I might use a Windows Phone. I also prefer cross platform services, Google services is not the most cross platform. Outlook and OneDrive can be accessed on any platform.

Yeah. I kinda feel the same way about windows phone . I feel like most of the issues with the OS itself have been resolved for the most part by recent updates or when 8.1 hits, but I still think the app gap is a issue and deal breaker for me. Hoping it's fixed someday.
    A895 likes this.

Yeah. I kinda feel the same way about windows phone . I feel like most of the issues with the OS itself have been resolved for the most part by recent updates or when 8.1 hits, but I still think the app gap is a issue and deal breaker for me. Hoping it's fixed someday.
    Its mainly for me, that the OS still does not have a file manager or has a notification center. Apps can't talk to each other either so that's a deal breaker for me.

25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

Its mainly for me, that the OS still does not have a file manager or has a notification center. Apps can't talk to each other either so that's a deal breaker for me.

Isn't the 8.1 update going to add a notification center?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast