Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 18 of 18
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By LeoRex
  • 1 Post By ffejjj
  • 1 Post By trivor
  • 1 Post By jdevenberg
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    mc4nam's Avatar

    Posts
    75 Posts
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts

    Default Is the Samsung Galaxy S5 worth $210 more than the LG G2?

    I apologize if this is in the wrong forum. I did not want to post in LG or Samsung thread because of bias towards the phone.

    I am with T-Mobile and am just out of contract with my SIII. The 2 main reasons I want to upgrade are I want an LTE phone and a better camera. I was going to get the LG G2 but decided I would at least wait until the S5 was available.

    The LG G2 is $448 ($18.70 a month) and the S5 is $660 ($27.50 a month). I will be doing the Jump program but the rule is you have to have your phone paid down to half before you can jump. So, after 6 months I will still owe $343 on the LG G2, $119 away from being able to jump. On the S5, I will still owe $495, $165 away from being able to jump. I will be really intrigued by Nexus 6, Moto X2, and LG G3 when they come out is the main reason to consider jump.

    Here is a comparison of the 2 phones - Samsung Galaxy S5 vs LG G2 - Phone specs comparison

    From reading about both, the Samsung camera seems like it will be a little better. Waterproof and Kids mode seems intriguing to me since I have an 18 month old son. I just don't know if all these things are worth that much more money?

    I know I know the best thing to do is to wait 3 or 4 more months for all of the phones I am interested in to be out but then we will be 6 months way from something else....the cycle continues.

    Thanks in advance for any opinions or suggestions.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Is the Samsung Galaxy S5 worth $210 more than the LG G2?

    Quote Originally Posted by mc4nam View Post
    I apologize if this is in the wrong forum. I did not want to post in LG or Samsung thread because of bias towards the phone.

    I am with T-Mobile and am just out of contract with my SIII. The 2 main reasons I want to upgrade are I want an LTE phone and a better camera. I was going to get the LG G2 but decided I would at least wait until the S5 was available.

    The LG G2 is $448 ($18.70 a month) and the S5 is $660 ($27.50 a month). I will be doing the Jump program but the rule is you have to have your phone paid down to half before you can jump. So, after 6 months I will still owe $343 on the LG G2, $119 away from being able to jump. On the S5, I will still owe $495, $165 away from being able to jump. I will be really intrigued by Nexus 6, Moto X2, and LG G3 when they come out is the main reason to consider jump.

    Here is a comparison of the 2 phones - Samsung Galaxy S5 vs LG G2 - Phone specs comparison

    From reading about both, the Samsung camera seems like it will be a little better. Waterproof and Kids mode seems intriguing to me since I have an 18 month old son. I just don't know if all these things are worth that much more money?

    I know I know the best thing to do is to wait 3 or 4 more months for all of the phones I am interested in to be out but then we will be 6 months way from something else....the cycle continues.

    Thanks in advance for any opinions or suggestions.
    First off do you like the Button placement on the LG G2? I don't so that alone i won't ever consider that phone. The S5 is a refined upgrade to the s4 similar to how the s4 was a refined upgrade to the s3. The only major upgrades from a s3 to an s5 would be a Quad core Cpu, LTE in your case, 1080p screen 440 or so PPI( don't remember the number but in that ballpark), 0.3-.0.5 bigger screen ( i forgot the s3 screen but was around a 4.8?), Finger print scanner and the heartbeat monitor. I personally like Samsung phones a lot so i would get the S5 over the LG G2( just based on as the phone experience like UI and etc)
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  
    mc4nam's Avatar

    Posts
    75 Posts
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts

    Default Re: Is the Samsung Galaxy S5 worth $210 more than the LG G2?

    Thanks for the response. I did play with someones LG G2 a few months back and I did not think it would be a problem for me to get used to the back buttons. I am leaning toward the S5 because of the familiarity plus the camera. The one thing you did not mention in upgrades over the SIII is the camera in the S5. I am just wandering if all of this is worth the extra money over the LG G2.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Is the Samsung Galaxy S5 worth $210 more than the LG G2?

    Quote Originally Posted by mc4nam View Post
    I am just wandering if all of this is worth the extra money over the LG G2.
    If you've used the G2 and don't mind it (I've read that LG's software is kind of messed up), then no, it isn't worth it. Fact is that the S5 will only be a marginal improvement over the G2.... Now, it isn't so much that the G2 was a pretty loaded phone (it was), but you aren't going to see huge jumps in performance/features from one generation to the next... The top tier phones are all fast, have displays that have resolution far sharper than our eyes can see, you name it. The G2's camera was actually highly regarded, so its no slouch in its own right.

    Sure, the S5 might be a better phone....but $200 better? I'm not so sure about that.

    Herein lies the dilemma of the newer phones. Now that each successive generation is coming with improvements that are increasingly less and less substantial, pretty much the only reason to get the latest and greatest phone will be that you want the latest and greatest phone.
    1BassJohn likes this.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Is the Samsung Galaxy S5 worth $210 more than the LG G2?

    Quote Originally Posted by LeoRex View Post
    If you've used the G2 and don't mind it (I've read that LG's software is kind of messed up), then no, it isn't worth it. Fact is that the S5 will only be a marginal improvement over the G2.... Now, it isn't so much that the G2 was a pretty loaded phone (it was), but you aren't going to see huge jumps in performance/features from one generation to the next... The top tier phones are all fast, have displays that have resolution far sharper than our eyes can see, you name it. The G2's camera was actually highly regarded, so its no slouch in its own right.

    Sure, the S5 might be a better phone....but $200 better? I'm not so sure about that.

    Herein lies the dilemma of the newer phones. Now that each successive generation is coming with improvements that are increasingly less and less substantial, pretty much the only reason to get the latest and greatest phone will be that you want the latest and greatest phone.
    That may be true in terms of SoC performance, but there's a lot of other hardware that OEMs can improve upon.

    Internal storage can be improved, with EMMC being replaced with microSSD. This should yield huge improvements in I/O speeds.

    Moving from a 32-bit OS to a 64-bit OS will improve performance across the board in general.

    The S5 has set the new standard when it comes to screen calibration, so other OEMs need to catch up.

    The camera can always be improved.

    I'm sure there's more that I can't think of right now.
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Is the Samsung Galaxy S5 worth $210 more than the LG G2?

    I'd get the G2

    Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app
    Owner of a replacement Htc One... Till something better comes along
    LG G3
    Ambassador
    Saukrateaz likes this.
  7. #7  
    trivor's Avatar

    Posts
    343 Posts
    Global Posts
    482 Global Posts

    Default Re: Is the Samsung Galaxy S5 worth $210 more than the LG G2?

    I have the G2 and I wouldn't hesitate to get one now. Neither the S5 or HTC M8 is a compelling upgrade from the G2. The G2 with Snapdragon 800, 2 GB RAM, 32 GB storage (24.1 available), 13 MP with OIS, 3000 Mah battery good for all day use for all but the heaviest users, beautiful 1080P screen, and most of the interface issues can be handled with a new launcher and just get used to the LG "enhancements" to various apps. Also, the G2 is orders of magnitude better than my S3 was in terms of cell and data coverage/reception. I think Samsung continues to put sub par radios/antennas in it's phones and I have never dropped as many calls on all my phones combined compared to the 15 months I had the S3. I'm willing to bet that Samsung hasn't improved that much since the S3 and it was close to unusable at times in my home because of poor signal. Since I got the G2 no problems with data or voice and even WiFi coverage is better with the G2 over the S3. The S800 SOC more than holds its own vs. the 801 and the LG "enhancements" don't slow down the phone. At $449 it is still an excellent value and you will have to wait for the G3 to see anything better from LG.
    1BassJohn likes this.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Is the Samsung Galaxy S5 worth $210 more than the LG G2?

    Quote Originally Posted by trivor View Post
    I have the G2 and I wouldn't hesitate to get one now. Neither the S5 or HTC M8 is a compelling upgrade from the G2. The G2 with Snapdragon 800, 2 GB RAM, 32 GB storage (24.1 available), 13 MP with OIS, 3000 Mah battery good for all day use for all but the heaviest users, beautiful 1080P screen, and most of the interface issues can be handled with a new launcher and just get used to the LG "enhancements" to various apps. Also, the G2 is orders of magnitude better than my S3 was in terms of cell and data coverage/reception. I think Samsung continues to put sub par radios/antennas in it's phones and I have never dropped as many calls on all my phones combined compared to the 15 months I had the S3. I'm willing to bet that Samsung hasn't improved that much since the S3 and it was close to unusable at times in my home because of poor signal. Since I got the G2 no problems with data or voice and even WiFi coverage is better with the G2 over the S3. The S800 SOC more than holds its own vs. the 801 and the LG "enhancements" don't slow down the phone. At $449 it is still an excellent value and you will have to wait for the G3 to see anything better from LG.
    I have used samsung phones ranging from the s2 skyrocket , s3 s4 and note 3 ( except for the note 3 they were on AT&T) and barely had dropped Call issues. I also prefer amoled screens over lcd as well.

    Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4- Verizon
    Motorola Droid Turbo - Verizon
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4- t-mobile
    Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5 32GB Wifi
    Apple iPad Air 2 128GB
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3- T-mobile
    Nexus 5 32GB
    Samsung Galaxy S4 AT&T
    Samsung Galaxy S3 AT&T
    Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket AT&T
    iPhone 4 AT&T
    iPhone 3GS AT&T
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  
    mc4nam's Avatar

    Posts
    75 Posts
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts

    Default Re: Is the Samsung Galaxy S5 worth $210 more than the LG G2?

    I still am rolling with my S3 for now. It is still down to the G2 or the S5. Anyone had both in hand or switched to the S5 from G2? This recent article has me leaning toward saving the money.

    Why I'd still tell anyone who listens to buy an LG G2 today | Android Central
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Is the Samsung Galaxy S5 worth $210 more than the LG G2?

    Quote Originally Posted by mc4nam View Post
    I still am rolling with my S3 for now. It is still down to the G2 or the S5. Anyone had both in hand or switched to the S5 from G2? This recent article has me leaning toward saving the money.

    Why I'd still tell anyone who listens to buy an LG G2 today | Android Central
    The water resistance is a true plus but how relevant is that for you?

    I would choose the G2

    Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app
    Owner of a replacement Htc One... Till something better comes along
    LG G3
    Ambassador
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Is the Samsung Galaxy S5 worth $210 more than the LG G2?

    I got my wife a G2 after the S5 and M8 were announced. The G2 has a fantastic camera. Button placement is great. Larger screen in a smaller footprint than the S5. The 801 is a minor improvement over the 800. In the end, no the S5 is probably not worth $200 more than a G2. I love my note 3, but if I had to get a phone at full price or on a payment plan, I would get the G2 hands down over the S5.

    Posted via Android Central App
    ffejjj likes this.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Is the Samsung Galaxy S5 worth $210 more than the LG G2?

    Att has the refurbished Note 3 for $250 or s4 for $180 NO CONTRACT . Imo, a new g2 isn't worth $200 plus more

    dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  
    mc4nam's Avatar

    Posts
    75 Posts
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts

    Default Re: Is the Samsung Galaxy S5 worth $210 more than the LG G2?

    Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    Att has the refurbished Note 3 for $250 or s4 for $180 NO CONTRACT . Imo, a new g2 isn't worth $200 plus more

    dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Lot of mixed information if those 2 phones are truly no contract without an ETF.
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Is the Samsung Galaxy S5 worth $210 more than the LG G2?

    Quote Originally Posted by mc4nam View Post
    Lot of mixed information if those 2 phones are truly no contract without an ETF.
    It clearly says no contract. Etf only applies to contract. The contract price is lower



    dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  
    mc4nam's Avatar

    Posts
    75 Posts
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts

    Default Re: Is the Samsung Galaxy S5 worth $210 more than the LG G2?

    Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    It clearly says no contract. Etf only applies to contract. The contract price is lower

    http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/21/daqe9eva.jpg

    dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Thanks for the clarification. It looks like the only other cost is the $36 activation fee and as long as you cancel within 3 days you are not on the hook for a monthly bill correct?

    I will probably just use this promo as a tool to get additional discounts from T-Mobile on a G2. The Note 3 is just too big for me but the S4 at about $215 with activation fee is a great deal
    assuming the refurb is in good shape. Any magic tricks to use an ATT phone on Tmobile?
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  
    mc4nam's Avatar

    Posts
    75 Posts
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts

    Default Re: Is the Samsung Galaxy S5 worth $210 more than the LG G2?

    Thanks for all of the previous input. Anymore suggestions before I buy one or the other today?
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Is the Samsung Galaxy S5 worth $210 more than the LG G2?

    Quote Originally Posted by mc4nam View Post
    Thanks for the clarification. It looks like the only other cost is the $36 activation fee and as long as you cancel within 3 days you are not on the hook for a monthly bill correct?

    I will probably just use this promo as a tool to get additional discounts from T-Mobile on a G2. The Note 3 is just too big for me but the S4 at about $215 with activation fee is a great deal
    assuming the refurb is in good shape. Any magic tricks to use an ATT phone on Tmobile?
    The activation fee is refundable within 3 days. If you buy it, wait until it ships and call att and tell them that you only want the phone, no service at this time. You shouldn't have to pay anything but the phone cost.

    dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  
    mc4nam's Avatar

    Posts
    75 Posts
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts

    Default Re: Is the Samsung Galaxy S5 worth $210 more than the LG G2?

    Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    The activation fee is refundable within 3 days. If you buy it, wait until it ships and call att and tell them that you only want the phone, no service at this time. You shouldn't have to pay anything but the phone cost.

    dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    That deal is dead now. Snooze I lose but It was really because I just did not want an S4. The G2 has dropped to $425 now making it $235 less than the S5 and T-Mobile is giving away a Quick Window case which hopefully I can sell for another $15 or more making it $250 less.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-22-2014, 12:07 PM
  2. Is anyone else getting this stupid add?
    By Kronko in forum Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-03-2014, 02:17 PM
  3. Compare Samsung Galaxy S5 vs Sony Z2
    By Roshan Dhakare in forum Samsung Galaxy S5
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-02-2014, 02:31 PM
  4. Samsung Apps download?
    By AxlMyk in forum Verizon Galaxy S3
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-02-2014, 12:25 PM
  5. Samsung Galaxy S5 Manual Now Available Online
    By smooth4lyfe in forum Samsung Galaxy S5
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-02-2014, 11:48 AM

Posting Permissions