New generation of USB cables

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I do have to admit, I like the idea of a cable that has the same end on either side and has no upside down.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
So, to come back to what I like about the new type C cable, since both ends are the same and there is no right side up, it doesn't matter which end is which or proper side up.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Yes this is nice but I hate changing standards yet again. And you would need an adapter for existing chargers and computers which don't use the standard. Personally I would rather keep things as is.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

Alik Malix

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Yes this is nice but I hate changing standards yet again. And you would need an adapter for existing chargers and computers which don't use the standard. Personally I would rather keep things as is.

Well, that's kid of what I was referring to. Apple got all the hate from non-iDevice users about how bad it was that they upgrades their cable after 10 years, how everyone needs adapters, and how it made accessories useless, etc, etc. but now your talking about wide range of products to undergo the same treatment and it's a great idea? On top of that, the bidirectional connector concept right out of Apples Design Book.

But concentrate on both ends as the main plus. Yes it is actually awesome to not have to fiddle with it every single time - it is a different world - i was surprised this wasn't implemented by the universe long time ago. But you have to admit, apple was ridiculed for it, but now it's a great idea.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
It absolutely is a good idea, and for the device side, I would be OK with it. But on the computer /charger side, I prefer standard usb since most people do not usually remove that side very often

sting7k

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
It will be painful at first. But it will be worth it. The lightning connector on iDevices is pretty great. It makes micro-USB feel downright ancient having to be sure I insert it with the correct side facing up.

After you get used to not thinking about it you really notice when you have to think for a second. Hopefully this doesn't stay in the R&D room for much longer.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
It absolutely is a good idea, and for the device side, I would be OK with it. But on the computer /charger side, I prefer standard usb since most people do not usually remove that side very often

Yeah, the issue is the host side changing. Though they'll probably just make A to C cables, so it won't be that big of a deal. USB has three different device side connectors already (not counting OTG) and that it hasn't been that hard to work with. It's a bigger deal with Apple because their devices plug directly into things other than an inexpensive, standard cable that comes not only with the device you bought, but with several other devices you have.

eggantom

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
It will be painful at first. But it will be worth it. The lightning connector on iDevices is pretty great. It makes micro-USB feel downright ancient having to be sure I insert it with the correct side facing up.

After you get used to not thinking about it you really notice when you have to think for a second. Hopefully this doesn't stay in the R&D room for much longer.

Totally agree! There will be some transition problems (rather inconveniences), but no pain no gain.