Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sting7k
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    98 Global Posts

Default New generation of USB cables

So I read this article on CNET about next generation of USB cables and ports called USB Type-C.

Meet the next-gen USB cable that could sweep away all others - CNET

They actually promise some improvements with it, though nothing specific or revolutionary (yet).

What do you say? Know anything more 'bout it?
    How soon will see this port on our devices? Or will we at all?

Global Posts
    20,946 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Default Re: New generation of USB cables

I do have to admit, I like the idea of a cable that has the same end on either side and has no upside down.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    I do have to admit, I like the idea of a cable that has the same end on either side and has no upside down.
    Like Apple's New Cable?
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    98 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Alik Malix View Post
    Like Apple's New Cable?
    Apple is Apple. They'll have their own cable and that's it. Here we're talking about a cable for all other devices and brands. Not only Android devices, but external HDDs, gamepads etc.

Global Posts
    20,946 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Quote Originally Posted by Alik Malix View Post
    Like Apple's New Cable?
    I was under the impression that the lightning cable still had a USB on one end.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    I was under the impression that the lightning cable still had a USB on one end.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app
    It does

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    20,946 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

So, to come back to what I like about the new type C cable, since both ends are the same and there is no right side up, it doesn't matter which end is which or proper side up.

Phone Timeline

Yes this is nice but I hate changing standards yet again. And you would need an adapter for existing chargers and computers which don't use the standard. Personally I would rather keep things as is.

Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    Yes this is nice but I hate changing standards yet again. And you would need an adapter for existing chargers and computers which don't use the standard. Personally I would rather keep things as is.

Well, that's kid of what I was referring to. Apple got all the hate from non-iDevice users about how bad it was that they upgrades their cable after 10 years, how everyone needs adapters, and how it made accessories useless, etc, etc. but now your talking about wide range of products to undergo the same treatment and it's a great idea? On top of that, the bidirectional connector concept right out of Apples Design Book.

But concentrate on both ends as the main plus. Yes it is actually awesome to not have to fiddle with it every single time - it is a different world - i was surprised this wasn't implemented by the universe long time ago. But you have to admit, apple was ridiculed for it, but now it's a great idea.

It absolutely is a good idea, and for the device side, I would be OK with it. But on the computer /charger side, I prefer standard usb since most people do not usually remove that side very often

Global Posts
    3,537 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.2

It will be painful at first. But it will be worth it. The lightning connector on iDevices is pretty great. It makes micro-USB feel downright ancient having to be sure I insert it with the correct side facing up.

After you get used to not thinking about it you really notice when you have to think for a second. Hopefully this doesn't stay in the R&D room for much longer.
    Alik Malix likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    It absolutely is a good idea, and for the device side, I would be OK with it. But on the computer /charger side, I prefer standard usb since most people do not usually remove that side very often

Yeah, the issue is the host side changing. Though they'll probably just make A to C cables, so it won't be that big of a deal. USB has three different device side connectors already (not counting OTG) and that it hasn't been that hard to work with. It's a bigger deal with Apple because their devices plug directly into things other than an inexpensive, standard cable that comes not only with the device you bought, but with several other devices you have.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Global Posts
    98 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sting7k View Post
    It will be painful at first. But it will be worth it. The lightning connector on iDevices is pretty great. It makes micro-USB feel downright ancient having to be sure I insert it with the correct side facing up.

After you get used to not thinking about it you really notice when you have to think for a second. Hopefully this doesn't stay in the R&D room for much longer.
    Totally agree! There will be some transition problems (rather inconveniences), but no pain no gain.