Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Is WIFI Tethering a thing of the past.

When I bought my first android phone (Note 1) it was for the capability to tether to my Ipad at work. I send less than 50 text messages a month and use less than 100 minutes a month. However I use the hotspot feature via FoxFi/PDANet 15gigs most months. All was well through the Note1, next the s3, and finally the s4. I left iOS for android and all was going great until the release of 4.3 and it has been all downhill from there. Now it's time for a new phone. What can I do with any of the new phones to bring my long lost wifi tethering to functional status once again? Samsung has been acceptable thus far but the no wifi tether issue has me looking for a better solution, the S5 looks great, as does the m8.

If I bought the Google edition of either s5 or m8 would my foxfi work again? Or is Wifi tether just a thing of the past?

Global Posts
    8,432 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Default Re: Is WIFI Tethering a thing of the past.

It's hard to say if Foxfi will work prior to the release of the device since it's dependent on may variables. It's likely that it will, but we won't know for sure until it's released.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Well... I can't be 100% sure, but I would say that it is the carrier that is messing with the tethering, not Samsung or HTC....

I have a Nexus 5 and it had Wifi tethering ability straight out of the box (no need to download any 3rd party tether app)....easy to configure and launch. Works great to let the kiddos use my Nexus 7 (wifi) when we are on the road.

Yes, I too have a Nexus 5 and creating a mobile hotspot is as easy as turning it on.
    Banned

Global Posts
    414 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chowderhead72 View Post
    When I bought my first android phone (Note 1) it was for the capability to tether to my Ipad at work. I send less than 50 text messages a month and use less than 100 minutes a month. However I use the hotspot feature via FoxFi/PDANet 15gigs most months. All was well through the Note1, next the s3, and finally the s4. I left iOS for android and all was going great until the release of 4.3 and it has been all downhill from there. Now it's time for a new phone. What can I do with any of the new phones to bring my long lost wifi tethering to functional status once again? Samsung has been acceptable thus far but the no wifi tether issue has me looking for a better solution, the S5 looks great, as does the m8.

If I bought the Google edition of either s5 or m8 would my foxfi work again? Or is Wifi tether just a thing of the past?
    You may want to try the free app OpenGarden. No root access required. Similar to a Wi-Fi hotspot, but uses Bluetooth and Wi-Fi Direct.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by Vsweety View Post
    You may want to try the free app OpenGarden. No root access required. Similar to a Wi-Fi hotspot, but uses Bluetooth and Wi-Fi Direct.
    I will check it out. I realize this may not be the place to ask but will a stock ipad4 do WiFi direct?
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

According to WiFi alliance ipad4 is capable of WiFi direct. I will see when I get home. Looks promising! Thank you immensely.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

No joy... Ipad4 is supports wifi direct however open garden doesn't have software for IOS. Waiting again. Any other ideas?
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Well I guess I am at a crossroads of sorts. I love my iPad however my phone is a tool to be replaced every year or so and the two must work together. So maybe a jail broken iPhone is the solution?

Well I guess I am at a crossroads of sorts. I love my iPad however my phone is a tool to be replaced every year or so and the two must work together. So maybe a jail broken iPhone is the solution?
    It may be but the new iPhones take longer to JB. Apple is trying to stop people from doing that.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.

I don't have a problem tethering, I have used over 100gb and paid just a buck for that data. I just use the stock hotspot app. I am on Verizon Unlimited unthrottled 4GLTE and just activate the unlimited unthrottled hotspot whenever I need it. Different carrier's policy are different, but I believe every major carrier allows hotspot at least on some of their plans, though cost varies by carrier.

To me this is the most efficient and reliable way, but of course it costs. To me, a buck a day is worth it, especially when you can run up several tb a month.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
    Thanked by:
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Wow! Unthrottled tethering for an extra 1$ a day? Wish ATT would come up with something like that. I would definitely be interested in that.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    It may be but the new iPhones take longer to JB. Apple is trying to stop people from doing that.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    My question is why would apple care? Tim Cook has lost his way. SJ never pandered to the telecom companies as a matter of fact neither did Google. I suppose the better question when did balls become optional as a large wireless device innovator. Google/Samsung and Apple have the power but refuse to use it, pathetic!

Global Posts
    98 Global Posts

Some of my friends use certain apps and wifi tethering to transfer large file between Android and Apple.

Tethering anything I've wanted via WiFi hotspot to my HTC Sensation 4G on T-Mobile is just a question of turning it on, but I imagine 15GB/mo. would be pretty expensive--regardless of carrier.
    tgp

Global Posts
    2,522 Global Posts

I've never had a GE device so I can't advise there, but I use Nexus devices. The reason you can't tether is because the carriers are getting more adept at blocking it. A colleague of mine has a Verizon Note 3, and he can't tether unless it's rooted. Even then, it's not that easy to set up. If you're on Verizon you have to jump through the proverbial hoops, but otherwise you can get something like the Nexus 5 and simply turn on tethering in Settings.
    Current lineup: Nexus 5 (primary device), Lumia 920, Moto G, and Lumia 520. There, I did it; I updated my signature!

Global Posts
    3,515 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.2

I have no issues using wifi hotspot on my Moto X to tether my iPhone or laptop with an app I got from the Play Store. I technically should not have it as I still have unlimited data with AT&T.

To use the feature on an iDevice you must have tethering enabled by your carrier or jailbreak.

When I updated my HTC one from 4.3 to 4.4, Foxfi Wifi ceased to work. Wish I would have known. What I do now is tether to my Mac using PdaNet USB and then create a hotspot from my mac to run my PS3 and Ipad. Works pretty well. You can Youtube all of this. I still have unlimited data from Verizon.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Stoneface View Post
    Tethering anything I've wanted via WiFi hotspot to my HTC Sensation 4G on T-Mobile is just a question of turning it on, but I imagine 15GB/mo. would be pretty expensive--regardless of carrier.
    Verizon Unlimited tethering for legacy unlimited data plans is $30 per month, before discount. And their tethering is truly unlimited and unthrottled for 4GLTE devices. Be it 15gb or 150gb or 1,500gb.

Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    Verizon Unlimited tethering for legacy unlimited data plans is $30 per month, ...
    Yes, I know. I administer the wireless plan at work. The key word there is "legacy."

Quote Originally Posted by Old Stoneface View Post
    Yes, I know. I administer the wireless plan at work. The key word there is "legacy."
    Yes legacy. However if you don't have it, you can still assume liability of an unlimited data line, which would cost but may be worth it depending on your data usage.