thatotherdude24

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Tonight for the first time I heard of Carrier IQ and apparently by not having heard of it I live in 1995. Depending on who you are and what platform you're on I guess depends on what you think about it. I've read it as spyware and I've read it as just 'meh'.

Based on what I have found it tracks information about how you use the phone and sends it back to the phone manufacture. Anything privacy based has the potential to be VERY debated and heated debated. Right now I am not looking for opinions I just want facts...what is it and what does it do? The research I have found comes back with very opinionated articles. I don't want opinions I want facts.

Can anybody help me please?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Here's another short thread where we touched on it: http://forums.androidcentral.com/t-...er-iq-should-i-worried-about.html#post3541023

Long story short, you're exactly right it's collecting information that is intended to provide a snapshot of what was going on with your device when you had performance issues. Those issues could be lag, crashes, slow connectivity, etc, etc. The drama comes about primarily because it is hidden and often not easy to disable or remove, and because a few years ago it was discovered that despite the company saying they do not use it as spyware, that it did have the functionality to function as a keylogger as well as to transmit the contents of personal correspondence. It's been out of the news for quite awhile, but in the US, if you're buying or have purchased a phone from Spring, AT&T, T-Mobile or their affiliates and it's not a Nexus, it probably has it. Verizon doesn't use them because it has their own software that keeps it in-house and Google doesn't allow it on Nexus devices.

thatotherdude24

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Here's another short thread where we touched on it: http://forums.androidcentral.com/t-...er-iq-should-i-worried-about.html#post3541023

Long story short, you're exactly right it's collecting information that is intended to provide a snapshot of what was going on with your device when you had performance issues. Those issues could be lag, crashes, slow connectivity, etc, etc. The drama comes about primarily because it is hidden and often not easy to disable or remove, and because a few years ago it was discovered that despite the company saying they do not use it as spyware, that it did have the functionality to function as a keylogger as well as to transmit the contents of personal correspondence. It's been out of the news for quite awhile, but in the US, if you're buying or have purchased a phone from Spring, AT&T, T-Mobile or their affiliates and it's not a Nexus, it probably has it. Verizon doesn't use them because it has their own software that keeps it in-house and Google doesn't allow it on Nexus devices.

I had experience with it today...I emailed Moto about my horrible battery life on my Moto X and they emailed back saying it was due to poor mobile network state even though the Verizon tower is 1/8th mile from me.

So is it only Android that has this? I read back in 2011 Joe from Microsoft said Windows Phone does not have it but that was 2011....

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I had experience with it today...I emailed Moto about my horrible battery life on my Moto X and they emailed back saying it was due to poor mobile network state even though the Verizon tower is 1/8th mile from me.

So is it only Android that has this? I read back in 2011 Joe from Microsoft said Windows Phone does not have it but that was 2011....

As far as I know Windows still does not use it, but I'm not clear on what they use instead. iOS, Blackberry and Android all have compatible apps.