Any legitimate battery saver app?

Daermos

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
Not sure if this is the right place to post this question, are there any decent battery saver apps? Or if it would be more of a kernel flash.

Thanks
Robert

Posted via Android Central App

rrballer11

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
I'm trying out the Qualcomm gurru battery saver app. Just got it today. Don't know if its good yet.

rrballer11

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Hey will you let me know, is it free?

Yes it is free, I will but it takes 2 days for it to learn the way you use the phone for it to see what processes you dont use and the ones you do use so it can manage. Ill let you know in about 3 or 4 days if its any good.

trivor

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
The Snapdragon Battery Guru app is free - not sure it extended my battery life that much. I turned off the WiFi saver portion. Another app which seems to do the WiFi On/Off thing pretty well is the free AVG WiFi Assistant app. It actually looks at the cell towers it's connected to when you are near a particular WiFi network and makes its decisions based on that and overall seems to work quite well. The G2 has superb battery life out of the box so I'm not sure if either of those solutions has improved my battery life that much. On a GS3 you might need it a little more and you would have to have some idea of how well it was doing before on your normal day vs after one/both of those apps.

Karl Whitley1

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
I'm trying out the Qualcomm gurru battery saver app. Just got it today. Don't know if its good yet.

I have been using this for a couple of months now and it works brilliantly on a nexus 4 - however you won't notice any difference for the first 2 weeks as it is learning your smartphone habits and depending on your use you may have to re-learn every now and then for the best battery saving...

Overall I'd definitely recommend for anyone with a Qualcomm powered phone

Posted via Stock Nexus 4*

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
If you are good with Tasker or Llama, you can make automated profiles that do everything those apps can do, but without the overhead.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
To test things out, I am threw that Snapdragon battery app from Qualcomm on my Nexus 5 and the wife's... Our use is totally different (I use mine extensively throughout the course of the day, hers sits in her bag untouched most of the time. So two use cases; moderate and light usage.

I have a good feel as to the normal draws on my 5, so I'll be curious of the app actually does anything useful or just placebos the heck out of me... of course, it could be worse... there's a very well known battery 'saver' out there that pretty much zero sums it (whatever batter savings it generates gets used up by its own functions) on a good day.... and typically increases consumption.

We'll soon see.

rrballer11

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
My savings on the snapdragon start tomorrow. But I'll be open to try others if it doesn't go well

ljxdaly

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
i noticed nothing out of the qualcomm guru. having tried a bunch of battery saver apps, i've pretty much decided NOT to use any... because i'm always turning on the phone to check my battery level, undermining any nominal savings that the app may have saved me. i need therapy.:)

There is an app, DS battery saver. it has a slumberer setting that puts my phone into deep sleep whenever the screen is off. that saves me alot

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...=com.rootuninstaller.batrsaver&token=A6wU60rP

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
it has a slumberer setting that puts my phone into deep sleep whenever the screen is off. that saves me alot

Well, that's the rub. 9 times out of 10, if someone is having a battery issue, it is due to the phone staying 'awake' (cpu in active state) when the screen is off. For those who don't know, the phenomenon is called a 'wakelock'.... wakelocks are not necessarily a bad thing (they are crucial to the phone operating correctly), but when they are overused (Google's Location Services is a notorious wakelock generator some times) they can slaughter your battery life.... most people accept that if they are cranking away on Asphalt 8 for hours on end, they are going to be charging their phones constantly. But a lot of people charge up their phones, put them down on their desk and ask "DAFUQ!?" when they pick it up a few hours later and it's down to 70%.

So wakelocks and radios (crappy wifi or phone signal = increased power to radios)... that's pretty much what most people are fighting with.... Now, an app that promises to force your battery into deep sleep... my only concern there is that it handcuffs your phones background stuff. I WANT it to notify me if, say, my wife sends me an email... I WANT Google Now to notify me that I best get on the road if I want to make it to that appointment.... and if an app comes in and slaps things around, then that would stink.

So the Qualcomm app intrigues me.... it may address the source (eliminating power hungry crap that I am not using at the time)... at least enough to give me an idea. You see, I am working on a set of Llama profiles in the hopes of building an all-encompassing battery saving 'suite'... and any kind of data would be nice to have.

ljxdaly

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
i agree with everything you wrote. i had a china clone phone that i could never figure out what was keeping it awake. and not just awake, running full time at 1800 mhz. only ds battery saver would get it to sleep.

and i agree that shutting down background services may not work for some folks. i'm thinking the true battery saver would be a moto x, with the low power always listening cores.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I use Battery Defender and it does pretty well.

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app

Vsweety

Banned
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
I am working on a set of Llama profiles in the hopes of building an all-encompassing battery saving 'suite'... and any kind of data would be nice to have.

Aren't you afraid those will draw more power to execute than they save? Sounds like a case of putting the cart before the horse. Or, in this case, putting the cart before the llama. Everybody knows llamas are useless as draft animals. I'll bet they probably also suck as push animals. They got attitude. Personality.
But will they save on your battery use?