Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    33 Global Posts

Default Any legitimate battery saver app?

Not sure if this is the right place to post this question, are there any decent battery saver apps? Or if it would be more of a kernel flash.

Thanks
    Robert

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: Any legitimate battery saver app?

I'm trying out the Qualcomm gurru battery saver app. Just got it today. Don't know if its good yet.

Daermos and cgardnervt like this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    33 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rrballer11 View Post
    I'm trying out the Qualcomm gurru battery saver app. Just got it today. Don't know if its good yet.

Hey will you let me know, is it free?

There's also greenify. I think there's a nonrooted version too.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Daermos View Post
    Hey will you let me know, is it free?

Yes it is free, I will but it takes 2 days for it to learn the way you use the phone for it to see what processes you dont use and the ones you do use so it can manage. Ill let you know in about 3 or 4 days if its any good.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    33 Global Posts

Thanks man

7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    33 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrsmumbles View Post
    There's also greenify. I think there's a nonrooted version too.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2
    Hey mrsmumbles ill take a look at that one thanks for the info. Also my gs 3 is rooted

mrsmumbles likes this.

Global Posts
    525 Global Posts

The Snapdragon Battery Guru app is free - not sure it extended my battery life that much. I turned off the WiFi saver portion. Another app which seems to do the WiFi On/Off thing pretty well is the free AVG WiFi Assistant app. It actually looks at the cell towers it's connected to when you are near a particular WiFi network and makes its decisions based on that and overall seems to work quite well. The G2 has superb battery life out of the box so I'm not sure if either of those solutions has improved my battery life that much. On a GS3 you might need it a little more and you would have to have some idea of how well it was doing before on your normal day vs after one/both of those apps.

Quote Originally Posted by rrballer11 View Post

I have been using this for a couple of months now and it works brilliantly on a nexus 4 - however you won't notice any difference for the first 2 weeks as it is learning your smartphone habits and depending on your use you may have to re-learn every now and then for the best battery saving...

Overall I'd definitely recommend for anyone with a Qualcomm powered phone

Posted via Stock Nexus 4*

Its free

Posted via Stock Nexus 4*

If you are good with Tasker or Llama, you can make automated profiles that do everything those apps can do, but without the overhead.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    847 Global Posts

DU Battery Saver is what i use and i like it

To test things out, I am threw that Snapdragon battery app from Qualcomm on my Nexus 5 and the wife's... Our use is totally different (I use mine extensively throughout the course of the day, hers sits in her bag untouched most of the time. So two use cases; moderate and light usage.

I have a good feel as to the normal draws on my 5, so I'll be curious of the app actually does anything useful or just placebos the heck out of me... of course, it could be worse... there's a very well known battery 'saver' out there that pretty much zero sums it (whatever batter savings it generates gets used up by its own functions) on a good day.... and typically increases consumption.

We'll soon see.

My savings on the snapdragon start tomorrow. But I'll be open to try others if it doesn't go well

i noticed nothing out of the qualcomm guru. having tried a bunch of battery saver apps, i've pretty much decided NOT to use any... because i'm always turning on the phone to check my battery level, undermining any nominal savings that the app may have saved me. i need therapy.

There is an app, DS battery saver. it has a slumberer setting that puts my phone into deep sleep whenever the screen is off. that saves me alot

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ller.batrsaver

Quote Originally Posted by ljxdaly View Post
    it has a slumberer setting that puts my phone into deep sleep whenever the screen is off. that saves me alot
    Well, that's the rub. 9 times out of 10, if someone is having a battery issue, it is due to the phone staying 'awake' (cpu in active state) when the screen is off. For those who don't know, the phenomenon is called a 'wakelock'.... wakelocks are not necessarily a bad thing (they are crucial to the phone operating correctly), but when they are overused (Google's Location Services is a notorious wakelock generator some times) they can slaughter your battery life.... most people accept that if they are cranking away on Asphalt 8 for hours on end, they are going to be charging their phones constantly. But a lot of people charge up their phones, put them down on their desk and ask "DAFUQ!?" when they pick it up a few hours later and it's down to 70%.

So wakelocks and radios (crappy wifi or phone signal = increased power to radios)... that's pretty much what most people are fighting with.... Now, an app that promises to force your battery into deep sleep... my only concern there is that it handcuffs your phones background stuff. I WANT it to notify me if, say, my wife sends me an email... I WANT Google Now to notify me that I best get on the road if I want to make it to that appointment.... and if an app comes in and slaps things around, then that would stink.

So the Qualcomm app intrigues me.... it may address the source (eliminating power hungry crap that I am not using at the time)... at least enough to give me an idea. You see, I am working on a set of Llama profiles in the hopes of building an all-encompassing battery saving 'suite'... and any kind of data would be nice to have.

i agree with everything you wrote. i had a china clone phone that i could never figure out what was keeping it awake. and not just awake, running full time at 1800 mhz. only ds battery saver would get it to sleep.

and i agree that shutting down background services may not work for some folks. i'm thinking the true battery saver would be a moto x, with the low power always listening cores.

I use Battery Defender and it does pretty well.

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app
    Banned

Global Posts
    414 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LeoRex View Post
    I am working on a set of Llama profiles in the hopes of building an all-encompassing battery saving 'suite'... and any kind of data would be nice to have.
    Aren't you afraid those will draw more power to execute than they save? Sounds like a case of putting the cart before the horse. Or, in this case, putting the cart before the llama. Everybody knows llamas are useless as draft animals. I'll bet they probably also suck as push animals. They got attitude. Personality.
    But will they save on your battery use?

I use Battery Doctor from KS Mobile. Free and simple to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Vsweety View Post
    Aren't you afraid those will draw more power to execute than they save? Sounds like a case of putting the cart before the horse.
    Not all automation apps are created equal. I used to use Llama a ton back before I had my Nexus 5... I played around with a few automation apps (AutomateIt Pro, Tasker) and Llama had a very light step. Sure, it did use SOME power, but the only times I ever saw it show up as a heavy user was if i screwed up and created a logic loop... otherwise it was way down the list with all the other benign background processes. Add to the fact that it is, by far, the easiest automation app to program and use..... it's my go-to if I want to play around with this stuff.

My old Galaxy Stellar had a bad wakelock problem.... So I used to use scripts that toggled Location Services, wifi and data in the background, kick off a sync every 15 minutes when the screen was off.... all manners of stuff. And it worked perfectly.... Left on its own, my Stellar was sucking up 4 to 5% an hour just sitting there doing nothing (nlp wakelocks, constant gmail pings, etc). When I had my profiles ironed out, I got that down to 1% or less an hour. So while it did use a little power, it resulted in an overall idle battery savings of like 80%.

Looking at those 'power saving modes' that HTC and Samsung are including in their phones now, they are all doing pretty much exactly what I was doing. I am not sure how much of those modes have user-effacing configuration choices, but my profiles were completely customizable.

How well those battery saver apps work will depend a lot on how you use your phone and what features you want. FWIW, I think people overestimate just how much battery WiFi uses and turning it off is one of the main things these apps do. My guess is that's why many people don't see an improvement, it's because there just isn't much to improve in that area. In some cases it could be that the measures it takes to figure out if your WiFi should be on or off may take as much, if not more, battery than WiFi itself. The other area is syncing and that can be either easily controlled with automation apps or take away useful features.

I followed LeoRex's thread from a few months ago about using automation apps to reduce battery usage and did similar things on my phone using Tasker. It mostly revolves around controlling syncing yourself. I'm not sure it has saved a ton of battery life, but the control is nice. The coolest thing I've done is made my phone only sync with my work email while I'm physically at work. Not having to worry about my phone randomly deciding to sync my contacts while I'm trying to do something is pretty nice, too. I can make it only do stuff like that when I know I won't be using my phone.

Really, you have to figure out what's draining your battery, then decide if you want any advantages it may have (e.g. Google Now) and then see how to fix any drains you don't want. A battery saver app may or may not solve your specific issue. An automation app has a better chance in most cases and has many other advantages.

FWIW, I used Battery Guru for a while and didn't notice a difference...until one day it went haywire and drained my battery in 2 hours (I noticed because my phone was hot to the touch). That probably isn't a normal thing for it to do, but even the chance of that happening again isn't worth no noticeable improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by garublador View Post
    I followed LeoRex's thread from a few months ago about using automation apps to reduce battery usage and did similar things on my phone using Tasker. It mostly revolves around controlling syncing yourself. I'm not sure it has saved a ton of battery life, but the control is nice.
    Wow... someone actually read that thread. I'm kind of getting back to it now.... shortly after I started that thread, I ended up kicking VZW to the curb and got a Nexus 5 from T-Mobile... and it charged so quickly and I kind of stopped worrying myself about battery life. I could make it through a day, so that was good enough. But when I saw HTC bragging about its "Extreme Power Saving Mode" feature..and I LOOKED at what it did.. looked really familiar.

Global Posts
    347 Global Posts

How can I know which apps are keeping the phone awake?

I use GSam Battery Monitor and Wakelock Detector to monitor what's using my battery. Unfortunately, the way Android reports this stuff isn't always by what app is using the battery. Many times you'll find that "Android OS," "System wakelock" or "Google Services" use the most battery or keeps the processor awake the most, which tells you almost nothing. It's not like it says "Google Now used 10% of your battery by checking for your location." Instead that, and several other things, are rolled into some generic "app" so you have to experiment to figure out what's actually using your battery.

However, if some app you downloaded is holding the processor awake or using a ton of battery then it usually tells you that pretty clearly. Many games will show up at the top of the list or an app that goes "rogue" and uses a bunch of battery for no apparent reason will show up pretty clearly.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast