Do either of the new Phones (S5 or M8) Interest You?

trivor

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Right now I am totally ambivalent to both of the new phones. Until now every phone I bought was a revolutionary leap forward in performance, display, connectivity, and camera. To illustrate for me personally:

2011: Droid Incredible 2, 768 Meg RAM, 2 GB onboard storage, micro SD expansion (32 GB max), 1 GHz single core Scorpion Processor, Run of the mill 8 MP camera, 800x480 4" display with Gingerbread 2.3, 3G phone

2012: Galaxy S3, 2 GB RAM, 32 GB storage, micro SD expansion (64 GB max), 1.5 GHz dual core Snapdragon, Improved 8 MP camera, 1280x720 (720P) 4.7" display, Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich recently upgraded to Jelly Bean 4.3 (expecting KitKat before too long), LTE with all day battery life.

2013: LG G2, 2 GB RAM, 32 GB Storage (nonexpandable but OTG capable and have a less 1" USB stick that has micro USB on one end and USB 3.0 on the other from Patriot - 64 GB works great), 2.26 GHz Snapdragon 800 with improved GPU, Actually only on Jelly Bean 4.2.2 (less than my S3) - although I'd be hard pressed to tell you of any day to day differences from 4.2.2 (on my G2 and G Pad 8.3) to 4.3 (on my S3) to KitKat on my Nexus 7. Also comes with an excellent 13 MP camera with OIS - takes great pictures. As for complaints about the LG "enhancements/skin/whatever you want to call it" my experience has been that an alternate launcher takes care of most of the aggravation of any skin and I just get used to/work around anything that is unique to the LG version of Jelly Bean.

2014: The S5 has a smaller screen than my G2, is bigger, has a 16 MP camera which may be awesome (or not) based on their new Isocell processor, smaller battery (2800 vs 3000) which may or may not give batter battery life with the Snapdragon 801 vs the 800 (same holds true for the HTC One (M8) - HTC has never had great battery life). It's hard to get excited about another iteration that is still rather like the S3/S4. Of course, the weatherproofing, removable battery and micro SD expansion may be worth it for some of you but overall doesn't seem like a worthy upgrade from my G2.

The HTC One (M8) is actually unusable for me because of it's height (5.75") - it's closer to the Note 3 than it is to my G2. I couldn't reach the top power button on the HTC One (M7) so this made it way worse. The camera doesn't cut it at all and I rarely listen to my phone on speakers (I'm either in the car or home with better speakers OR using earplugs or a headphone). Also, to have such a big phone with "only" a 5.1" screen just doesn't seem to cut it. It is nice/interesting that they put micro SD back in - even with 32 GB it would be nice to pop a 64 GB card in there to take a few dozen movies on the road (most of my movie DVD rips are around 2 GB, Blu Rays around 4 GB).

I really like my G2 (I am definitely a function over form type of guy - couldn't care less about the Premium design of the HTC One (M7 or M8) and the plastic Samsung phones don't bother me one way or another. I will say that I would really like it if the G3 came with similar design to the G Pad 8.3 (aluminum back). One last thing about the G2 and LG enhancements - I love the choice of what your button layout is: They have half a dozen choices for on screen buttons and I absolutely love having a notification pull down button - works great on these larger phones for someone with smaller hands. On my GS3 I've actually used the Apex launcher to put a notification pulldown on my GS3 (still use it around the house as WiFi only device).

Is anyone really excited about either of these phones (am I just missing something or is the evolution cycle just not enough this time around)? Looking for thoughts to see if I'm missing something.

Last edited by a moderator:

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Re: Do either of the new Phones (S5 or M8) Interest You?

I am. What can I say, I like phones in general.

I'm happy with my M7 and the G2 is also a great phone but with every new release I find myself itching to check then out.

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Something that we all start to need to realize is we aren't going to see as many leaps and bounds as we have in the past. Especially when Flagship devices are starting to come out every 6 months or so.

That being said, I think the M8 has more to offer than the S5. This time around I think Samsung tripped a little and maybe this is the opportunity for HTC and LG to catch up a bit.

li2327

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site

They both look interesting enough to at least check out and play around with. I'm currently on the Samsung S4 so I'm curious to see all the differences.

Posted via Android Central App

3rdpig

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site

The wife and I are interested in both of them and will probably get one or the other. We're both currently using the Bionic (which as been a great device for both of us until JB screwed them up) so an upgrade has become almost mandatory. I like the M8 for the build quality and the S5 for the camera, water and dust resistance. The wife is leaning towards the S5. But we both feel like Sheldon sitting on the floor of the store agonizing over the PS4 and Xbox1. I think we'll wait until the AC comparison hits then make up our minds.

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site

Something that we all start to need to realize is we aren't going to see as many leaps and bounds as we have in the past. Especially when Flagship devices are starting to come out every 6 months or so.

That being said, I think the M8 has more to offer than the S5. This time around I think Samsung tripped a little and maybe this is the opportunity for HTC and LG to catch up a bit.

No disrespect, but I disagree. The M8 camera sucks, I have seen the camera reviews. People can kid themselves all they want, its barely better than the Moto X camera.
The boomsound may be great, but makes the phone way too big for the size of the screen.
The Only area the HTC wins in, is Not having Touch Wiz.

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site

While I agree with most everything you said, I am a tiny bit interested in the S5. I think the camera might be 99% of that attraction and 1% the 'updated' touch wiz.
I think the LG G3 will be another incremental upgrade just as these devices were. (M8/S5).
I am sure LG will try to spec bump it to being .1ghz faster and maybe use 3GB ram and go 16/20MP on the camera. Maybe barrow iPhones 'true tone' dual led flash system from the 5S.

I think what I want from android is different from what others want from android. These minor spec bumps are about to hit a wall.
I want android to quit worrying about specs, and start worrying about the OS.
I want innovation like Motorola did with the hands free, always listen features on the moto x.
I want a SINGLE native email client that works with all my emails. i.e. Not a gmail app AND another for all my Other emails.
I want native Visual Voicemail built in like iPhone 5S, Not an AT&T app that is separate from the dialer app.
I want more 'cloud' syncing that is much more like iOS to Mac integration.
I want security to be Native as well, not Lookout or AVG addons.
I want the ability to uninstall all carrier bloat that I don't want. (a lot of it already can be, give me more freedom)(rooting is stupid and should Not be a solution)
I want android to Stop compressing my photo's in texts, iPhone iMessage doesn't. Hangouts is not the answer, hangouts sucks in its current form.

The LG G2 isn't without issues. The native text messaging app on my G2 sometimes takes 20-30 seconds to send a Picture message.
The camera is pretty good over all, but could use better software/Processing behind it.

The only reason I am on android is because I love the 5" to 5.7" screens. iPhone 6 will fix this and I may be done with android at that time.
Widgets aren't the big deal that others make them out to be. I use 1 total, time/weather.
The only thing other than screen size that android has that I am in MAD LOVE with is swipe. Best thing since sliced bread.

Tomorrow is the last day I can return the LG G2. I am seriously considering taking it back and getting the iPhone 5S because the OS is much more polished than android. People can hate on apple all they want. iOS is simply more 'put together' than android that has a bit of a frankenstein feel to it.
I have found that I set my phone up the way I like it, and then I never really mess with it anymore.
All these launchers and 'freedom' things just aren't all that to me...

Zabigayle

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site

Tomorrow is the last day I can return the LG G2. I am seriously considering taking it back and getting the iPhone 5S because the OS is much more polished than android. People can hate on apple all they want. iOS is simply more 'put together' than android that has a bit of a frankenstein feel to it.
I have found that I set my phone up the way I like it, and then I never really mess with it anymore.
All these launchers and 'freedom' things just aren't all that to me...

It sounds like you would be better suited going with the iPhone 5S.

Evilguppy

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site

Nah... I'm smitten with my Note 3 and I'm on a 2 year contract, so I won't start looking until December 2015.

nra_luke

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site

I'm using an S4 and it's a great phone. I don't see anything else on the market that I'd be willing to trade for currently. However, when the next nexus comes out, I will most likely take an interest.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Isc73

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site

I got to play with threes m8 at best buy, have to say is super cool and I love the camera! Wonder how long the battery lasts

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I want native Visual Voicemail built in like iPhone 5S, Not an AT&T app that is separate from the dialer app.

My m8 on AT&T has visual voicemail built in to the stock dialer

iOS is simply more 'put together' than android that has a bit of a frankenstein feel to it.

I read a recent article taking about how Android is more stable than ois. Fact. You may not like the look and feel of it, but Android is slowly getting more refined. Plus manufacture ui's like Sense are actually really polished.

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site

It sounds like you would be better suited going with the iPhone 5S.

I agree that an iPhone may be a better fit. But, I simply love the LG G2 even with its shortcomings. I decided I will keep it and not give in to the iPhone that I have already gotten rid of 3 times.
While I do enjoy the ecosystem and polish, the LG G2 might be the perfect phone for screen size, one handed usage, speed, camera (overall) and no lag.

OP, I think specs should be the LAST reason to get a phone. Specs doesn't really mean didly squat. Look at the S4 vs the Moto x. The moto x works flawlessly, without lag and has half the specs of the S4 which is a lag machine that can't do ANYthing without almost locking up the phone. Opening the Picture gallery seems to be a monumental task for the S4.
Maybe the S4 got better if it ever got 4.4.2 but on 4.3 it was the worst phone I have ever owned.

But I am also a sucker for new devices. If the S5 doesn't lag like the S4. I will get one. Due to the camera, I won't even look at the M8.

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site

The S5's only features for me anyway is the Camera and the Faster Downloads.

The Htc M8 has a great build and improved upon the M7, and nice little tweaks with the Lg's Knock on and sense is refined with number 6.

But for me the Sony Z2 is the phone that has my attention, its Waterproof, its more media focused, the Camera seems darn good (although not perfect but what camera is on a smartphone?).

It retains that solid build with minor tweaks all us good there, great software enhancements and even improving upon the speakers with stereo front facing.

That is why i placed my order for the Sony Xperia Z2.

Spencerdl

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

Not at all. I'm EXTREMELY HAPPY with my Note3, just curious as to what the Note4 is going to bring to the table.

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site

My m8 on AT&T has visual voicemail built in to the stock dialer

That is on a particular phone. it isn't STANDARD ANDROID. Which makes my point. It's not a stock Visual Voicemail, its part of Sense 6.0

I read a recent article taking about how Android is more stable than ois. Fact. You may not like the look and feel of it, but Android is slowly getting more refined. Plus manufacture ui's like Sense are actually really polished.

More 'stable' is arguable just like all iOS vs Android articles. I do like the look and feel of android or I wouldn't have an LG G2 and Note 3 instead of an iPhone right now.
I agree android IS getting more refined. There are MANY areas that iOS whether less 'stable' or not simply does some things better. Email is one of many.
On the Note 3 and the LG G2 and the Moto X, the email isn't sized to FIT the screen automatically, with the ability to zoom if you want. With android, the mail looks like a patchwork monster with all the pictures replaced by '?' and it never FITS the screen, you have to pinch in and out to get it to FIT the screen. iOS is on a read only partition and doesn't have to worry about showing you the pictures without all the '?'s everywhere.
If you ask Siri to set a timer for 20 minutes to time a pizza in the oven, it sets a TIMER that counts down. On android, ask it to do that (voice command) and it sets an alarm clock even though when you go into the clock app and there is a timer Right There, Not being used.
Ask Siri to remind you to do something and it actually does it. Ask android and it says it will remind you but does absolutely Nothing. It might set a calendar date that has no audible reminder. If you aren't looking at the calendar, you do not get reminded.
And there are Lots of other 'little things' like that throughout the entire OS that equals more polished than android.

I live with those shortcomings to enjoy a large, beautiful screen with higher DPI. The LG G2 and Note 3 both have amazing screens.

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site

The S5's only features for me anyway is the Camera and the Faster Downloads.

The Htc M8 has a great build and improved upon the M7, and nice little tweaks with the Lg's Knock on and sense is refined with number 6.

But for me the Sony Z2 is the phone that has my attention, its Waterproof, its more media focused, the Camera seems darn good (although not perfect but what camera is on a smartphone?).

It retains that solid build with minor tweaks all us good there, great software enhancements and even improving upon the speakers with stereo front facing.

That is why i placed my order for the Sony Xperia Z2.

The Z2 does look pretty great. I want to see one in person.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

No, they don't interest me. The OnePlus One interest me right now.

sent via nVidia Shield

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site

Not for me personally but if I needed a new phone I would consider one of them possibly. I mean I love my currently HTC One M7.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeneral2