Qualcomm's 2015 chips may make you regret getting a new phone this year

atg284

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to let 64 bit systems bake for a year before getting one so this works for me.

Good info though thanks! :D

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
That's a stupid article.
1-every year there is a new chip out that is better than last year
2-a lot of it means nothing in real life usage. Just looks good on paper
3-my phone is over 2 years old and still runs a lot of the newest apps without issues so chips now will not be obsolete when those chips comes out.
4-64-bit is pretty much marketing terms. Look at windows PC, 64-bit does make a difference but no one really knows what it means and very few people use it to it's full potential

Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX (tapatalk)

Spencerdl

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
That's a stupid article.
3-my phone is over 2 years old and still runs a lot of the newest apps without issues so chips now will not be obsolete when those chips comes out.
4-64-bit is pretty much marketing terms. Look at windows PC, 64-bit does make a difference but no one really knows what it means and very few people use it to it's full potential

EXACTLY this^^^

Zabigayle

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
EXACTLY this^^^

Double this. The iPhone 5s had a 64 bit processor and to be honest I didn't really notice any difference between that and the iPhone 5c (which does not have a 64 bit processor). I don't even know if the App Store has more than a couple of apps that even utilize the 64 bit. At this point it's moot. Until apps start coming out that actually utilize it it's all just marketing.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
It mentions support for 4K displays. I thought the S5 could do that now?

It is referring to the screen resolution, not video recording resolution. S5 display is fHD, not 4k.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

Jdroids

May 7, 2012
Visit site
And Qualcomm (or Samsung) 2016 chips may make you regret getting new phone in 2015.

By that logic, no one should buy smartphone now and wait for next year models.

George Jenkinson

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Double this. The iPhone 5s had a 64 bit processor and to be honest I didn't really notice any difference between that and the iPhone 5c (which does not have a 64 bit processor). I don't even know if the App Store has more than a couple of apps that even utilize the 64 bit. At this point it's moot. Until apps start coming out that actually utilize it it's all just marketing.

I agree to a point - until someone puts a 64bit chip in a phone, none of the developers would write programmes. The hardware has to come before the software.... Whether it'll make any difference is another matter!

Netherscourge

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
The 1st year of a 64bit CPU/OS are usually 32-bit apps with 64-bit extensions.

You won't see truly native 64-bit apps for 2 years. And if you think developers will ignore 32-bit Android devices, which currently RULE THE WORLD, you're nuts. Whatever comes out in 64-bit will be in 32-bit also. You won't be missing out.

2 years is a good time range, since that's when many S5/M8 contracts will be expiring and it'll be better to jump on the 64bit bandwagon then, when the hardware is more polished and the OS is more optimized.

And unless hardware goes over 4GB of RAM, you won't notice much difference in anything anyway, since 64-bit addresses don't' really shine unless you're pushing lots of them on 4+GBs of RAM.

By 2016, 64-bit Smartphones will be more mature and RAM will probably be standard at 4GB.

I wouldn't "wait" for 64-bit phones to come out this year, if you are in the market now for a new phone.

Last edited:

Sanjay Chandra

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Next year , they will announce that Adreno 5xx is 70% faster than 4xx and CPU power is doubled etc. , Then again in 2016 , they announce even better things etc.

There is only one situation where waiting is better imo : Never buy Galaxy S4 when Galaxy S5 is about to launch or Never buy iPhone 5s when iPhone 6 is about to launch.

Why ? There are two reasons :
1.If you wait one more month , older models prices slash down and also deals could be better.
2.Newer model is awesome ? Get that new phone (or) Is it bad ? You can get older model at much better price.

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
That's a stupid article.

64 bit on PC is good. 64bit on phone useless

Posted via Android Central App

thisOSis

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
Games are where you see a difference. Uneducated people said 32 bit and 16 bit are not needed. That was said years ago... the games need to be optimized for 64 bits and the games must push apple's a7 at hard as possible. Apple's A7 is the fastest mobile processor being used .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjammmin007