Qualcomm's 2015 chips may make you regret getting a new phone this year

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I know... I can't wait... I mean, the Snapdragon 800 in my Nexus 5 is dog slow. Hell, apps don't load the INSTANT I touch the icon.... it takes, like, maybe a second.

:/

Regardless at how much faster the chips are in a year's time, there's only so much progress. Sure, back in the day when it took quite a while for apps to load, shaving several seconds off the load times was an improvement that each and everyone could see. But the most recent generations of mobile processors really stepped up the game.... most of the time I'm waiting on whatever app I loaded to connect up and get its stuff from the network. Switching between recent programs is often only slowed down by window animations and not the processor. The thing hauls some serious digital ****.

I mean, if Qualcomm all of a sudden announced a new chipset that was twice as fast and used half the power as the current ones and there was a phone going on sale with it TOMORROW... then you would see some pissed off people. But that ain't happening.

MasterElwood

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Are you all kidding me? Speed wise this thing is a joke!

The SD810 is coming out 6-8 month after the SD805 - and the GPU will ONLY be 30 percent faster??? Hell - whats about the same different that the SD800 and the SD801 have - and the 801 is just a advanced 800 and not a completly new gereration!

So lets say the Note4 comes out in October with a SD805 (save bet). And then the S6 comes out April 2005 with the SD810 (also relatively save bet).
So the S6 will be about 30 percent faster then the Note4 (GPU wise)... BUT: if the S6 features a 2160p or even a more hires display, it then will be SLOWER then the N4????

We are used to the fact that smartphone GPUs at least double the speed every year. And now we are celebrating 30 percent??? LAME!!!!

I really hope Samsung finally gets a LTE modem in the Exynos 6 and kicks qualcomms ***! We need more competition in the SoC space. QC is really slowing down innovation wise because they know they are the king right now...

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I really hope Samsung finally gets a LTE modem in the Exynos 6 and kicks qualcomms ***! We need more competition in the SoC space. QC is really slowing down innovation wise because they know they are the king right now...

Your competition is Intel, problem is they aren't doing that great of a job of it.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
It's at the point that very little software takes advantage of it, so I welcome these, but there is very little to actually take advantage of them. I also usually upgrade every year anyway.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
The move to 20nm die should help quite a bit. It made a huge difference going from 45nm to 28nm.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Are you all kidding me? Speed wise this thing is a joke!

The SD810 is coming out 6-8 month after the SD805 - and the GPU will ONLY be 30 percent faster??? Hell - whats about the same different that the SD800 and the SD801 have - and the 801 is just a advanced 800 and not a completly new gereration!

So lets say the Note4 comes out in October with a SD805 (save bet). And then the S6 comes out April 2005 with the SD810 (also relatively save bet).
So the S6 will be about 30 percent faster then the Note4 (GPU wise)... BUT: if the S6 features a 2160p or even a more hires display, it then will be SLOWER then the N4????

We are used to the fact that smartphone GPUs at least double the speed every year. And now we are celebrating 30 percent??? LAME!!!!

Have you seen any benchmarks for this chip? Let alone real world performance... I'd wait until we know more about it before judging

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

robsawalker

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Although 64 bit is not currently necessary on smartphones, I guess that it's something that needs to happen eventually as we are approaching the maximum supported RAM.

It sounds insane to have smartphones with 16 or 32gb RAM but it will happen I guess.

I mean, look at memory cards... When I was 12, I had a VIC-20 for a while and I used to stare in wonder at the 16kb RAM pack in my local electrical store. It was ?200, but... 16k! How in Hell would you be able to fill that? It was the size of two N5s taped to each other and slid in the back of the computer. Now you can get a memory card which is 8 MILLION times bigger capacity that is no bigger than a finger nail... And it's cheaper!

Posted via Android Central App

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Although 64 bit is not currently necessary on smartphones, I guess that it's something that needs to happen eventually as we are approaching the maximum supported RAM.

It sounds insane to have smartphones with 16 or 32gb RAM but it will happen I guess.

I mean, look at memory cards... When I was 12, I had a VIC-20 for a while and I used to stare in wonder at the 16kb RAM pack in my local electrical store. It was ?200, but... 16k! How in Hell would you be able to fill that? It was the size of two N5s taped to each other and slid in the back of the computer. Now you can get a memory card which is 8 MILLION times bigger capacity that is no bigger than a finger nail... And it's cheaper!

We're a long time away from that. The base amount of RAM on most laptops isn't even 8GB yet...

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

nessinhaw

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
why...just WHY would someone need over 3-4Gb on their phones and 64bits? o-o

unless smartphones starts to replace notebooks, i think it's kind of useless!

currently, all the flagships out there can handle perfectly basically every task you need...i mean, except for games maybe, it's insane thinking that an app would require so much power OR even taking full advantage of such power!

now, what would REALLY mean evolution would be...BATTERIES!!!
hell yeah, when they make a smartphone last the same amount of time dumphones used to, that will be so much bigger than every year making a new chip 30% faster than last year '-'

like i said, what we have currently is already fast...what we need is better energy (battery) management and imo, that's what matters the most about each new chip instead of speed!

sent from my Moto G <3

David Alfredo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site

unless smartphones starts to replace notebooks, i think it's kind of useless!

currently, all the flagships out there can handle perfectly basically every task you need...i mean, except for games maybe, it's insane thinking that an app would require so much power OR even taking full advantage of such power!

now, what would REALLY mean evolution would be...BATTERIES!!!
hell yeah, when they make a smartphone last the same amount of time dumphones used to, that will be so much bigger than every year making a new chip 30% faster than last year '-'

like i said, what we have currently is already fast...what we need is better energy (battery) management and imo, that's what matters the most about each new chip instead of speed!

sent from my Moto G <3

this x 1000

smartphones are already packed with more than enough punch, now we desperately need batteries to keep up with these demanding powerful chips, if they can't then yes... make new chips but focus on energy consumption instead of more speed no one needs now.

rrballer11

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
this x 1000

smartphones are already packed with more than enough punch, now we desperately need batteries to keep up with these demanding powerful chips, if they can't then yes... make new chips but focus on energy consumption instead of more speed no one needs now.

This is true.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

I see questions like this and most of the time, the answer is pretty much "Because more". These are phones... NOT 15 inch laptops.... embrace that and fix the single most glaring weakness that all of these devices have; the batteries SUCK.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc