Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Do full TV show seasons ever go on sale on the Play Store?

In the past, I've always been a bit of a "collector" for DVD sets of my favorite TV shows, but not only has my collection started to get out of hand, but I'd just rather make the switch to all digital. The only thing I wonder is, do digital full seasons ever go on sale on the Play Store? I always used to wait until around the holiday time to buy the actual DVDs, because you could find older seasons on Amazon for $20 or less (some even at insanely low prices for special sales), but does that ever happen on the Play Store? I really haven't ever paid attention.

I'm trying to decide what the best "ecosystem" to commit to would be. Part of me says to go with Google's Play Store, part of me is considering Amazon. Really don't know which way to go. Hm.
    _X_

Global Posts
    638 Global Posts

Default Re: Do full TV show seasons ever go on sale on the Play Store?

Rarely if ever what you normally see is the first episode is free or cheap. Sometimes you'll see the first season but that's all. The idea is to get you hooked. The bad part about digital content is there is no need for shelf space to be cleared.

Personally for digital movies I prefer to buy the DVD and back them up to digital media on my hard drive this way I'll always own the media. The reason is that when you buy digital media online, you never really own the content you just bought a license. So if a company loses their licence or goes out of business, stops streaming you lose aceddeto your videos.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: Do full TV show seasons ever go on sale on the Play Store?

Well, I imagine companies like Google and Amazon are relatively safe, as far as going out of business goes, and I can't imagine there'd be a huge licensing issue there. Does that actually even apply, though? I mean, I know the licensing thing can wreak havoc on what's available on services like Netflix, but if you "purchase" movies and shows via Google or Amazon (as opposed to just "renting" them), can a license issue really cause you to lose access to the stuff you've purchased?

Anyway, disappointed about the lack of sales. Previously, I've been just buying DVDs and DVD sets for shows, but like I said, I want to get away from that, and I'd like to go all digital with video content.