Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Comcast is trying to get into the cellphone carrier business.

After reading the article on the front page of AC from Andrew i was curious on everybody's feelings about this. I know they say the more competition is better for the consumer but I'll save my thoughts for some of these replies.

Honestly I think I should have seen this coming but I'm still very anti against this.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Default Re: Comcast is trying to get into the cellphone carrier business.

I honestly don't know how I feel about this. It could really go either way but it does sound interesting that the phones will go between Comcast wifi hotspots and cell signals.
    "The worst foe lies within the self....."
    Get yourself some storage with Dropbox: http://db.tt/hWGiTCa

Quote Originally Posted by eve6er69 View Post
    After reading the article on the front page of AC from Andrew i was curious on everybody's feelings about this. I know they say the more competition is better for the consumer but I'll save my thoughts for some of these replies.

Honestly I think I should have seen this coming but I'm still very anti against this.

Anti against this? Does that mean your not against this? The whole double negative has me confused.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

No I meant anti this.

5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Comcast tried doing this with sprint and it was called pivot. It tanked but I think that's because the prices were higher than if you were going to buy a sprint an alone with no comcast benefits.

One term comes to mind when I hear this. Oligopoly.

Comcast tried doing this with sprint and it was called pivot. It tanked but I think that's because the prices were higher than if you were going to buy a sprint an alone with no comcast benefits.

One term comes to mind when I hear this. Oligopoly.

I think that we already have a Oligopoly. See the first line of the Description in the Wiki.

Oligopoly is a common market form where a small number of firms are in competition. As a quantitative description of oligopoly, the four-firm concentration ratio is often utilized. This measure expresses the market share of the four largest firms in an industry as a percentage. For example, as of fourth quarter 2008, Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, and T-Mobile together control 89% of the US cellular phone market.

How does this stop without adding more firms to the mix?
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    I think that we already have a Oligopoly. See the first line of the Description in the Wiki.

Oligopoly is a common market form where a small number of firms are in competition. As a quantitative description of oligopoly, the four-firm concentration ratio is often utilized. This measure expresses the market share of the four largest firms in an industry as a percentage. For example, as of fourth quarter 2008, Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, and T-Mobile together control 89% of the US cellular phone market.
    I agree but comcast will just add another name to it. It's not like they're some small company trying to change the way people do cellular.

I agree but comcast will just add another name to it. It's not like they're some small company trying to change the way people do cellular.

Comcast in relation is small. Your not going to see a truly small company make a dent. Republic Wireless is a good example. Comcast is just trying to do what RW is doing on a larger scale. This method can change how mobile wireless is dealt with ie stopping data from being the main source for cost increases.

There is no way. Ever. I would never ever do this.

Comcast forgets most people are with them because they don't have a better option.. That's it.

In wireless there are plenty of options so... Their customer service wouldn't hold people.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.

Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

Ya...I'd say no thanks to Comcast. CS is just terrible for my standard ISP. They won't go any where I'm sure! And hey if they can turn around the CS issues then they might stand a chance! Guess time will tell but I'm not willing to beta test this. Let someone else! Even if it was cheaper.

Global Posts
    8,887 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    There is no way. Ever. I would never ever do this.

Comcast forgets most people are with them because they don't have a better option.. That's it.

In wireless there are plenty of options so... Their customer service wouldn't hold people.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    This. Nobody likes Comcast 😂
    But it's the only option for most people

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan