Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Droid DNA to HTC One (M8) or Galaxy S5?

I want to upgrade to one of these phones, the things i dislike are with the m8 the menu keys are part of the display to me that seems to suck since you lose some screen space, the s5 im not big on plastic, im not sure how the back will feel is it like the leather on the note just with a grill like design?

cameras it seems the s5 has the advantage there

battery i should be fine either way

im struggling to make a decision

any opinions?

Default Re: Droid DNA to HTC M8 or Samsung S5?

If I were to choose between those two, I'd go with the GS5. The camera is a HUGE selling point for me and just knowing (I've seen the pictures, don't start yelling because I've only read the reviews) that the M8 camera just plain sucks, is enough to keep it off my list. Plus, you get an underwater camera with the GS5! That's awesome!

As for the plastic/aluminum debacle... You'll end up slapping the thing inside a PLASTIC case, so that's that. Unless you want to scratch the metal body all over (I could barely see the inscription on my iPod a month after I bought it and used it without a case). Supposedly the S5 'feel' is even better than the Note 3's. I would actually add the Note 3 to your list, but since it's 'last year's model' and not waterproof, you might lean towards the S5... but the bigger screen is sooooo worth it.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Anyone know what Verizon exchange is like, i know you have i think 14 days to do so, but if i got the s5 and decided to exchange for the m8 would that be possible in that time frame?

Getting an m8 over an S5? You ARE Loco, indeed 😜. But really, it would be great to know why you made that choice.

Sent from my SM-P600 using AC Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by iamloco724 View Post
    Anyone know what Verizon exchange is like, i know you have i think 14 days to do so, but if i got the s5 and decided to exchange for the m8 would that be possible in that time frame?
    Yes. You have to pay a restocking fee I believe.

Posted via Droid Razr M on the Android Central App
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by SpookDroid View Post
    Getting an m8 over an S5? You ARE Loco, indeed 😜. But really, it would be great to know why you made that choice.

i havnt made a decision yet actually, im just saying either way would i be able to swap one for the other within the 2 week period

im still struggling to decide there is things i like and dislike about both

I'm in the same boat man. I have an S5 on the way, but I'm still torn between the two. My last experience with HTC was the Thunderbolt and I still have nightmares over that phone. The M8 also lacks the camera that I would like, but is unlockable and rootable. The S5 is locked down and I'm not fond of TouchWiz. Still don't know what to do. I'll mess with the S5 a few days and then decide I suppose.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

I played with them a little in store, is the M8 a good upgrade from the DNA?

Quote Originally Posted by iamloco724 View Post
    I played with them a little in store, is the M8 a good upgrade from the DNA?
    Yes. Better everything.

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app

Default Re: Droid DNA to HTC One (M8) or Galaxy S5?

Crappy camera. Enough for me to ditch, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by SpookDroid View Post
    Crappy camera. Enough for me to ditch, sorry.

That's you, but there are others who don't mind the camera and if you go in the M8 photos thread, there are some really great shots that have been taken with the M8.

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app

I toyed with the M8 for a few hours and 80% of the shots I took during that time looked like they were taken by my 7-year-old point-and-shoot. The 'after focus' effect is nifty and did have a lot of fun playing with that, but the end result was still crappy compared to the shots I can take with my Note 3...heck, even with an S3 or a Note 2, and those are 3 years old.

Don't get me wrong, the M8 feels great, but the camera and the fact that you will lose the metal stuff because you end up using a case made it topple off my list. As for the S5, I won't be getting that either because, well, it's no better than my Note 3, except for the waterproof part (and I wasn't thrilled about the phone 'getting fat' :P). So I'll hold off until the Note 4 comes out, and if that's waterproof, well then...