Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Google Now vs Cortana

So, I know this isn't a moto X specific topic but I figure we're all into this so why not? I don't know if anyone has seen on Android Central about microsoft Cortana virtual assistant vs Google now.. It looks very interesting... Although I can't help but see that microsoft Cortana mimic Google now almost completely as far as functionality is concerned. The only thing that concerns me about that and I would probably never switch to Windows Phone at least anytime soon, is a fact that the Google Voice typing is second to none and I'm not sure how the new Windows 8 .1 does voice typing a used to do it where you could only speak one sentence at a time and obviously Google Voice typing you can do whatever the heck you want for as long as you want it to me. I just want to see what people thought about this

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: Google now vs cortana

Until people get a chance to really put Cortana (where do they come up with these names?) through its paces, we won't really know how it compares. But competition is good for all of us.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

LG G3 on Sprint. [Stumped and Bumped, Debloated, Startup apps managed, Trickster, Nova Prime, Swiftkey, G3 Tweakbox]--> Runs smooth as silk, now.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Until people get a chance to really put Cortana (where do they come up with these names?) through its paces, we won't really know how it compares. But competition is good for all of us.
    That's very true, I mean the video on youtube so does Cortana in beta stage of course no the one other thing of ours that Google can really do well is it see different restaurants in the area and then when you want to know Google Maps not bing maps will pull up

Global Posts
    3,602 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.2

Ars Technica has a pretty detailed review up. Supposedly it's pretty good.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by sting7k View Post
    Ars Technica has a pretty detailed review up. Supposedly it's pretty good.
    Eh I'll always love Google now

ROM
    Eclipse 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Cortana comes from Halo. She was the AI that provided background info and helpful hints on the game.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
    There are no personal problems which cannot be solved through suitable application of high explosives.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Default Re: Google Now vs Cortana

Very true indeed...

Fashioning it after Cortana from Halo is a surprising show of a little bit of humor from Microsoft. Oh, I'm sure that once they iron out the kinks, it'll be a pretty good product. People get on their case, but Microsoft does manage to do a pretty good job of things once they set their minds to it.... and Windows 8 Mobile is actually a pretty decent mobile OS from the looks of it.

As someone said, competition is good. It drives things forward.... It's a shame that TWO of the mobile OS's out there recognize this and try to make their product better, while the third tries to just sue their way to the top.

Global Posts
    3,602 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.2

Quote Originally Posted by LeoRex View Post
    As someone said, competition is good. It drives things forward.... It's a shame that TWO of the mobile OS's out there recognize this and try to make their product better, while the third tries to just sue their way to the top.
    Microsoft was going to sue all the Android OEMs just like Apple. All the OEMs but Motorola paid up before it got to court and licensed Microsoft's patents as a fee per device sold.

Quote Originally Posted by sting7k View Post
    Microsoft was going to sue all the Android OEMs just like Apple. All the OEMs but Motorola paid up before it got to court and licensed Microsoft's patents as a fee per device sold.
    Ah...forgot about that.... yeah, I always found it kind of bizarre that Microsoft makes more money off of Android than Google does.

these patent suits **** me off.... most all of them are an absolute farce. No, not the source code-related ones, where you can honestly say "This is mine"... it is the silly stuff like "pinch to zoom" or taking out a patent on a "rectangle with rounded corners"... Really??

But nevermind.....

Cortana....
    Thanked by:

Myself, I really have no need for a voice assistant. If anything, it just gets in my way. I've found it's much easier and efficient to perform a task without it. Not to mention the potential privacy violation of someone over hearing you speak something verbally you may not want to be heard. I've also always been uncomfortable giving Google access to what it needs for Google Now to do its thing. Guess I just don't see much of an upside to a voice assistant that makes it worth using.

Global Posts
    3,602 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.2

Yes, Cortana...As a player of far far too many games of every Halo I think it's a good marketing strategy. I still have a sour taste in my mouth from my Lumia 900 and WP7. I see the review of WP8.1 and I want Microsoft to succeed as I believe a third player in the game is better for everyone. That said, I'm really digging dual wielding my iPhone and Moto X so I probably won't get to experience it any time soon. I've only recently really started using Siri/Google Now for more frequently so I'm also still not totally sold on voice assistants. I am happy that both seem to perform quite well at this time so I'm playing more than normal.