Do You Miss Smaller Phones?

aandrew610

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I miss smaller phones. I had the moto x for a little while when it first came out I really enjoyed the size of it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

kigmatzomat

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
I think something that gets glossed over is that screen size is increasing while the phones are simultaneously getting smaller/lighter relative to their screen.

Galaxy S 2010 4.0" 6.8in^2 118g 77.8cc
Galaxy S5 2014 5.1" 11.1in^2 145g 83.4cc
(yes, I know I'm mixing metric/imperial, it's the proportions that matter)

Between 2010 and 2014 the phones became ~22% heavier and 7% more volume but the screen is 60% larger.

Managing thickness and bezel is a huge leap forward. My note2 vanishes into my front pockets because it is so thin.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I think something that gets glossed over is that screen size is increasing while the phones are simultaneously getting smaller/lighter relative to their screen.

Galaxy S 2010 4.0" 6.8in^2 118g 77.8cc
Galaxy S5 2014 5.1" 11.1in^2 145g 83.4cc
(yes, I know I'm mixing metric/imperial, it's the proportions that matter)

Between 2010 and 2014 the phones became ~22% heavier and 7% more volume but the screen is 60% larger.

Managing thickness and bezel is a huge leap forward. My note2 vanishes into my front pockets because it is so thin.

Well if they didn't we for sure would be having tablet size devices in our pockets.

Posted via Android Central App

kigmatzomat

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
My point is that depending on your temporal reference point, it's comparing dinosaurs and chickens.

Screen size should be less the reference point than external dimensions or volume.

Today's 5" phones are equivalently the same size as the 4" phones of a couple years back. And it's not just the big phones; mid-range screens like the 4" iphone 5s is much lighter & more compact than the 3.5" iphone 4s. (112g/55cc vs 140g/73cc )

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
True but one handed use getting to all 4 corners of the screen is harder as the screen size goes up

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
My point is that depending on your temporal reference point, it's comparing dinosaurs and chickens.

Screen size should be less the reference point than external dimensions or volume.

Today's 5" phones are equivalently the same size as the 4" phones of a couple years back. And it's not just the big phones; mid-range screens like the 4" iphone 5s is much lighter & more compact than the 3.5" iphone 4s. (112g/55cc vs 140g/73cc )

I was fine with those devices back then. But now we have 6 inch screened devices being passed as smartphones. They have become larger and larger as time goes on.

Posted via Android Central App

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
As long as they can make phone calls they're still considered smartphones. :)

Ultimately though I think it's similar to televisions and just the nature of the beast so to speak. An ever increasing number of people, even iPhone users, want a bigger screen. So the market responds.

To me, there is a limit though. A note 10.1 can make phone calls (international version), but I would call it a tablet, not a smartphone.

bwillard92

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
Not really. I alternate between using an iPhone 5c and a Moto X. I never owned an android phone that was a decent size (under 5", imo) until I got the Moto X. I wouldn't want a phone bigger than the Moto X though.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I miss my OG Droid, if that counts. :p

I don't miss them in the sense that I would prefer them over current phones... but I would certainly agree that the form factor of many new devices just isn't as comfortable or easy to use. Flexible displays and phone tech will eventually help there... but what we really need is resizable displays. :)

stratct

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
The bigger the better (up to note 3 size anyway) I just went from a 4 inch optimus f3to a 5 inch ZTE supreme (vital) and I'm loving it. I could even go bigger

Sent from my N9810 using Tapatalk

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
I was a forever user of iPhone and the 3.5-4" screen. I did like it at the time time, but after having many many devices over the last couple years. The Moto X is probably the most comfortable device I had ever used.
That said, I have had the LG Optimus G Pro (5.5"), the Note 3 (5.7"), and now I have both the LG G2 at 5.2" and the Nokia 1520 6" (running 8.1 and its awesome).
The LG G2 at 5.2" and the with no buttons on the side, I now think it might be THE perfect phone. I can use it one handed with no issues.
The Nokia 1520 is media consumption, is amazing. I was going to mess with the Nokia for 14 days and return it. Now I might sell my G2 and keep it.
I thought it would just simply be Too big, but after getting used to it, I think I am in love with it. (never thought I would say that about a WP hah)

I work for apple, so I still handle iPhones ever single day. I miss iOS and the syncing abilities of iCloud and my iMac, but I don't miss the screen size.
If iPhone 6 aligns with the 4.7" rumor, I will more than likely switch back to iOS for a while. After having android and now Windows phone, I don't think I will ever just stick with one phone, one OS ever again. I love switching phones about every 3-6 months.
I love iOS and iPhone, but I love android and Windows Phone 8.1. The only phone I haven't tried, that I want to try, is the Blackberry Z10/Z30.
I just am starting to kind of hate samsung because of touchwiz, and I don't root phones.

Armand2REP

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
I don't think that 4.7" will be the smallest sized iPhone.

The M7 was a nice size but they botched it in the M8 being too tall. My ideal iPhone size would be a 4.3' screen. No question of one handed usability there.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk 2

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
The M7 was a nice size but they botched it in the M8 being too tall. My ideal iPhone size would be a 4.3' screen. No question of one handed usability there.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk 2

That`s what I was thinking. I think they may make it 4.3-4.5 inches, that`s still a one handed phone.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I think the biggest thing about the Moto X was due to such a small bezel, Moto was able to cram as much screen space as they could into the form factor. How many people would have guessed without seeing size information that the X was nearly a 5" phone? I probably wouldn't have.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
How did you do it then?

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app

Just install it from the play store. Then open the app itself to setup. AFAIK, the only thing that requires root is the menu button. Everything else should work without root

ybyjyvan.jpg

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I think the biggest thing about the Moto X was due to such a small bezel, Moto was able to cram as much screen space as they could into the form factor. How many people would have guessed without seeing size information that the X was nearly a 5" phone? I probably wouldn't have.

Same here. Love the Moto X`s design one of the best of all 2013 devices in my opinion.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084