Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By AirSupply
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How young is too young to text?

I am single and don't have kids, so please feel free to voice your concerns. I'd like to hear them.

My 7 year old nephew is pretty bright and recently got a First or 2nd Generation Kindle from a friend. I thought it may be nice to install Google Voice--with parents permission, so he could text parents, grandparents, myself etc.

He may not use it, but I just thought it would be fun to try and may give me another way to keep in touch with him, since he obviously doesn't have a phone.

On the surface, I would think Google Voice would be nice because all activity can easily be viewed through www.google.com/voice by any parent or guardian. All messages are stored in the cloud and can be reviewed easily.

Rest assured, this isn't a gateway question.....I am not advocating getting him a cell or setting up a facebook account etc. However, does anyone think that this would give him any incentive to write more and be more concerned about spelling?

Am I nuts or foolhardy? How young is too young?

If your kid wanted to send a text from his tablet to mom, dad, sisters, grandparents, etc, would you let him if he was 5, 7, 10 and you had no intention of getting him a phone till much later?

Default Re: How young is too young to text?

It could be a useful thing to learn to do, as long as long as his parents are fine with it, and you all teach him he is only allowed to text to certain agreed on family. It depends on his parents.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

18......jk. I'm a little hung up on this same question. I don't think kids should be texting until say high school. I work in eduction so I see how crazy kids are and the sort of things they send. However it is a new world and I think the way you are going about it it is a great idea. It limits them and is in a controlled setting and it allows them to stay in contact with family only

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: How young is too young to text?

This question depends heavily on the parents. I personally oppose the idea of giving electronic devices to the kids too soon. I hate seeing my niece (3 yrs old) watches cartoon on the iPad most of the time. She needs to go outside and play.
    Thanked by:
    rrballer11 likes this.