Why shouldn't I get a windows phone?

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
The low overall number of apps available for Windows Phone is a serious drawback also outrageously awkward method of toggling wifi/data/GPS etc on and off. If I want to toggle a setting like this, I want to be able to do it in a couple of taps, not by navigating to Settings and hunting down what I need.

I do agree with you. There are some who argue (over on WPCentral) that a toggle for data connection is too much. Android has had a data toggle for years now.

Posted via Android Central App

z33dev33l

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I do agree with you. There are some who argue (over on WPCentral) that a toggle for data connection is too much. Android has had a data toggle for years now.

Posted via Android Central App

8.1 has it... Seriously though, what apps are you lacking that don't have comparable if not better options on Windows Phone?

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
8.1 has it... Seriously though, what apps are you lacking that don't have comparable if not better options on Windows Phone?

8.1 does not have a data toggle. Google Keep for speed and efficiency is better than OneNote for speed and quick notes. HBO Go, credit unions, Showtime, CWTV, etc. Newer games such as Super Hexagon, Dots, Ready Steady Bang, Family Guy:Quest for Stuff, Cut the Rope 2, Smash Hit and older games like Minecraft and Candy Crush. Apps need updates such as Office Mobile, and Spotify. I could go on. WP needs to bring more apps and games and keep them updated and not fall behind their counterparts on other OS`s. They also need more Google Services but that`s another issue.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
8.1 does not have a data toggle. Google Keep for speed and efficiency is better than OneNote for speed and quick notes. HBO Go, credit unions, Showtime, CWTV, etc. Newer games such as Super Hexagon, Dots, Ready Steady Bang, Family Guy:Quest for Stuff, Cut the Rope 2, Smash Hit and older games like Minecraft and Candy Crush. Apps need updates such as Office Mobile, and Spotify. I could go on. WP needs to bring more apps and games and keep them updated and not fall behind their counterparts on other OS`s. They also need more Google Services but that`s another issue.

The Android Market had the same problem for quite a long time when developers were inclined to focus on iOS only. It takes time to create developer buy-in and many of the apps that Windows phone has are very well done. As app selection grows, user choice and adoption grows which makes developing for the OS more attractive, etc. Windows has been on phones for a long time but almost everyone agrees it was terrible for most of that time and it is really only in recent history that it has begun to adopt a more modern approach to the OS. The better they get at that, the better the potential to become a solid player becomes.

OP, prior to Windows 8.1 the only thing that made Windows phone attractive (to me) was Nokia, in the camera department. Right now the OS still is not up to speed (in my opinion), but they've covered a LOT of the gap and if the ecosystem was there, I'd be willing to put their software on par with iOS from the perspective of my interest in using the software. If you are not concerned with the ecosystem argument, there is no reason that I can see which ought to preclude you from seriously considering their OS. It is definitely not bad, it just might not subjectively be "the best" ... but being the best implies being the best at something and only you can determine the criteria upon which that judgement can be rendered. If you're interested in them, give one a spin for a bit and if it serves your needs to your satisfaction, who cares what we think about the quality or whatever?

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
The low overall number of apps available for Windows Phone is a serious drawback also outrageously awkward method of toggling wifi/data/GPS etc on and off. If I want to toggle a setting like this, I want to be able to do it in a couple of taps, not by navigating to Settings and hunting down what I need.

Sounds like iOS in that regard.

Finally using Tapatalk on my Nexus 7

Alex_Hong

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
It's all depending on your needs. Personally I don't use it as my daily driver for a couple of reasons.

- I enjoy Google's services (Gmail, Keep, Maps, Play Music, Hangouts, Google+, Drive, Ingress, etc.)
- There are still apps I use that aren't on the platform (local banking apps).

Other than that, I would be fine with using WP8.1 as my daily driver, i actually quite like the look of it, and Cortana seems to have a lot of promise. But personally I would hold off a little until Microsoft Mobile reveals their first device.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
It's all depending on your needs. Personally I don't use it as my daily driver for a couple of reasons.

- I enjoy Google's services (Gmail, Keep, Maps, Play Music, Hangouts, Google+, Drive, Ingress, etc.)
- There are still apps I use that aren't on the platform (local banking apps).

Other than that, I would be fine with using WP8.1 as my daily driver, i actually quite like the look of it, and Cortana seems to have a lot of promise. But personally I would hold off a little until Microsoft Mobile reveals their first device.

I am similar, I am tied to Google apps, and it is a major downside. There are third party options, but I don't want to use them

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
So here's my take coming from a similar position as you:

I too really wanted to get a Windows phone. I was(and still am) impressed by the changes Microsoft has made over the past year and I wanted to try and be emersed in that. Also, I was growing tired of my iPhone. So I thought naturaly a Windows phone would be the best option.

So my friend let me borrowed his old Lumia 920 and I used that for a week.

I think the OS is pretty great, especially since 8.1. It's solid, secure, and has a sort of happy medium between iOS and Android when it comes to consistency and customizabiluty. I still thank it has the most visual pleasing of three smartphone OS's.

But here's the killer, for me atleast. It's the apps. And it's not even the number of apps (though that's still a issue for me atleast) it's the quality of apps and support for the apps on their. A ton of apps I use haven't been touched by the devs in months. Spotify and slacker being the worst offenders.

Also, there's this thing where it's just a lack of support when it comes to exciting new technology like wearable, in car support, and etc. For example, there's no Pebble app for Windows phone.

So that's my take. Maybe these won't be a problem for you. They were for me though.

I would atleast pick up a 520 to mess with to help you decide.

Alex_Hong

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
So here's my take coming from a similar position as you:

I too really wanted to get a Windows phone. I was(and still am) impressed by the changes Microsoft has made over the past year and I wanted to try and be emersed in that. Also, I was growing tired of my iPhone. So I thought naturaly a Windows phone would be the best option.

So my friend let me borrowed his old Lumia 920 and I used that for a week.

I think the OS is pretty great, especially since 8.1. It's solid, secure, and has a sort of happy medium between iOS and Android when it comes to consistency and customizabiluty. I still thank it has the most visual pleasing of three smartphone OS's.

But here's the killer, for me atleast. It's the apps. And it's not even the number of apps (though that's still a issue for me atleast) it's the quality of apps and support for the apps on their. A ton of apps I use haven't been touched by the devs in months. Spotify and slacker being the worst offenders.

Also, there's this thing where it's just a lack of support when it comes to exciting new technology like wearable, in car support, and etc. For example, there's no Pebble app for Windows phone.

So that's my take. Maybe these won't be a problem for you. They were for me though.

I would atleast pick up a 520 to mess with to help you decide.

+1 on this. The quality of apps is another issue. It feels to me like Microsoft dumped some money on the devs to make an app, and so they did. End of story. There are apps that I use on my Lumia 625 running WP8.1 that still says for Windows Phone 7 and have not been updated since I was using WP7.5. The situation is definitely improving, just very very slowly. Like Endomondo recently got updated with a much needed facelift, but still it is lacking features that the iOS and Android version has. Currently devs are putting their priority and attention on the iOS and Android apps, and rightly so. Microsoft will be playing second fiddle for a long time to come, until they have a significant enough marketshare.

Not saying don't buy WP, just saying that be sure to know what you're in for at least for now. If you could live with those, WP8.1 is still a rather capable device. Definitely good looking.

IMG_5269.JPG

IMG_5268.JPG

IMG_5272.JPG

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance