Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 30
Like Tree7Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Why shouldn't I get a windows phone?

    So I'm looking to get a new phone and hear a lot of people bashing windows phone? I love the look of it and, since I don't use many apps anyway, I don't see how the "limited" app availability will affect me anyway.

    So can you give me some legitimate reasons as to why someone shouldn't get windows phone?

    Posted via Android Central App
    Darth Spock likes this.
  2. #2  
    PxuLL's Avatar

    Posts
    42 Posts
    Global Posts
    283 Global Posts

    Default Re: Why shouldn't I get a windows phone?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scratchyjam View Post
    So I'm looking to get a new phone and hear a lot of people bashing windows phone? I love the look of it and, since I don't use many apps anyway, I don't see how the "limited" app availability will affect me anyway.

    So can you give me some legitimate reasons as to why someone shouldn't get windows phone?

    Posted via Android Central App
    Notifications don't come through as soon as you get them, trust me the app availability will affect you say that trust me it will Also the brightness has three options high medium and low and putting it on the lowest option is too hard to use at night for 30mins+ or getting some nasty eye strain. Also whenever your apps need updating it doesn't tell you, you either have to search the apps up separately or ask other people.

    Trust me don't get it!!! This is all first hand experience Windows Phones are disgustingly terrible.

    Source: Me (I still own a WP )
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Why shouldn't I get a windows phone?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scratchyjam View Post
    So I'm looking to get a new phone and hear a lot of people bashing windows phone? I love the look of it and, since I don't use many apps anyway, I don't see how the "limited" app availability will affect me anyway.

    So can you give me some legitimate reasons as to why someone shouldn't get windows phone?

    Posted via Android Central App
    As an ex-Windows Phone user myself, they aren't terrible. And, in fact, 8.1 has closed the last few gaping holes that made Windows Phone clearly inferior to iOS or Android (notification center and assistant). However, at the same time, Windows Phone doesn't really do anything better than iOS or Android and you are sacrificing by having a smaller app ecosystem and less compatibility with other devices (TVs, set top boxes, car stereos, etc. will often fully support iOS and Android while offering minimal if any functionality with Windows Phone). So I guess my question is why would you get a Windows Phone, particularly if you are already invested in Android. Also, out of curriosity, what phone do you have now?
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Why shouldn't I get a windows phone?

    No customization.
    No file manager.
    No rooting, custom ROMs, kernels, or overclocking.
    Very few quality 1st party apps.

    Like above person said, why would you get a Windows Phone when Android or even iOS is better?
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Why shouldn't I get a windows phone?

    Quote Originally Posted by PxuLL View Post
    Notifications don't come through as soon as you get them, trust me the app availability will affect you say that trust me it will Also the brightness has three options high medium and low and putting it on the lowest option is too hard to use at night for 30mins+ or getting some nasty eye strain. Also whenever your apps need updating it doesn't tell you, you either have to search the apps up separately or ask other people.

    Trust me don't get it!!! This is all first hand experience Windows Phones are disgustingly terrible.

    Source: Me (I still own a WP )
    I agree. My friend has one and she hates it, she can't do anything with it, always misses her messages, can't personalize anything on it. Her upgrade is coming up and she's looking at the Samsung GS5.
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Why shouldn't I get a windows phone?

    Quote Originally Posted by Evilguppy View Post
    I agree. My friend has one and she hates it, she can't do anything with it, always misses her messages, can't personalize anything on it. Her upgrade is coming up and she's looking at the Samsung GS5.
    I could be wrong, but doesn't the new Windows Phone 8.1 come with a notification center?

    I'll have to toy around with it on my WP8 phone.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Why shouldn't I get a windows phone?

    Quote Originally Posted by Geodude074 View Post
    I could be wrong, but doesn't the new Windows Phone 8.1 come with a notification center?

    I'll have to toy around with it on my WP8 phone.
    Yes it does. 8.1 actually looks really good. I'm halfway thinking of picking up a 1020 or 1520 to play around with it.
    A895 likes this.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Why shouldn't I get a windows phone?

    Quote Originally Posted by Geodude074 View Post
    I could be wrong, but doesn't the new Windows Phone 8.1 come with a notification center?

    I'll have to toy around with it on my WP8 phone.
    honestly I have no idea, I just know she hates hers and can't wait to upgrade to a Samsung GS5.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Why shouldn't I get a windows phone?

    My main reason? App support.

    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Thanked by:
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Why shouldn't I get a windows phone?

    The main reason is def App support. My wife had one (1020) she hardly ever used any apps, but even she struggled with it. The App store is also a tad confusing, its not as smooth and user friendly as the Play Store - not to mention the actual apps available. We sold the 1020 for a Nexus 5 and she loves it.
  11. #11  
    PxuLL's Avatar

    Posts
    42 Posts
    Global Posts
    283 Global Posts

    Default Re: Why shouldn't I get a windows phone?

    Quote Originally Posted by Geodude074 View Post
    I could be wrong, but doesn't the new Windows Phone 8.1 come with a notification center?

    I'll have to toy around with it on my WP8 phone.
    Yes it did but of course half the apps you use on a daily apps are not 'configured' for it and dont show up there.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by jdevenberg View Post
    Yes it does. 8.1 actually looks really good. I'm halfway thinking of picking up a 1020 or 1520 to play around with it.
    Only if you have the spare cash because really you'll wanna get rid of it in a month or so...
  12. #12  
    PxuLL's Avatar

    Posts
    42 Posts
    Global Posts
    283 Global Posts

    Default Re: Why shouldn't I get a windows phone?

    Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    My main reason? App support.

    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    It has been for ages, MSFT just don't try hard enough to embrace the OS and get developers publishing bigger and better apps, I personally think its too late for change they stuck themselves in the wrong for ages and its set like that, simply.
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Why shouldn't I get a windows phone?

    Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    My main reason? App support.

    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Same here. I could live with everything else.

    dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Why shouldn't I get a windows phone?

    I've been using a S4 for a couple days after my 1020 took a swim and I am dying to get back... People say that there's nothing it does better but there is no launcher available that's half as intuitive as stock windows phone. I miss it. It's just more media-centric and social than any other OS.
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Why shouldn't I get a windows phone?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scratchyjam View Post
    So I'm looking to get a new phone and hear a lot of people bashing windows phone? I love the look of it and, since I don't use many apps anyway, I don't see how the "limited" app availability will affect me anyway.

    So can you give me some legitimate reasons as to why someone shouldn't get windows phone?

    Posted via Android Central App
    Some also you use might noe be there. Also little things you may not like. No file manger, no specific VPN settings, no downloading and uploading via the web browser. Few choices in high end hardware as well. Right now there is the 1520, Icon, and Ativ SE and that's it. Compare that too Z2, S5, M8, Moto X, Note 3, Z1C etc. But other than WP8.1 fixes a lot of problems that I had with the platform so I'm definitely considering getting one.

    Posted via Android Central App
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Why shouldn't I get a windows phone?

    8.1 fixes all of those and it's available now with great ease
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Why shouldn't I get a windows phone?

    Quote Originally Posted by z33dev33l View Post
    8.1 fixes all of those and it's available now with great ease
    All what?

    Posted via Android Central App
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Why shouldn't I get a windows phone?

    There's now a file manager released, there are exclusive VPN settings and you can direct download from most pages.
  19. #19  
    pgg101's Avatar

    Posts
    80 Posts
    Global Posts
    648 Global Posts

    Default Re: Why shouldn't I get a windows phone?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scratchyjam View Post
    So I'm looking to get a new phone and hear a lot of people bashing windows phone? I love the look of it and, since I don't use many apps anyway, I don't see how the "limited" app availability will affect me anyway.

    So can you give me some legitimate reasons as to why someone shouldn't get windows phone?

    Posted via Android Central App
    They seem like good devices to me. Doesn't hurt to spend some time playing around with it. All devices have pros and cons.

    Posted via Android Central App on BlackBerry Z30
    A895 likes this.
  20. #20  
    Dr Rose's Avatar

    Posts
    31 Posts
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts

    Default Re: Why shouldn't I get a windows phone?

    The low overall number of apps available for Windows Phone is a serious drawback also outrageously awkward method of toggling wifi/data/GPS etc on and off. If I want to toggle a setting like this, I want to be able to do it in a couple of taps, not by navigating to Settings and hunting down what I need.
  21. #21  

    Default Re: Why shouldn't I get a windows phone?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Rose View Post
    The low overall number of apps available for Windows Phone is a serious drawback also outrageously awkward method of toggling wifi/data/GPS etc on and off. If I want to toggle a setting like this, I want to be able to do it in a couple of taps, not by navigating to Settings and hunting down what I need.
    I do agree with you. There are some who argue (over on WPCentral) that a toggle for data connection is too much. Android has had a data toggle for years now.

    Posted via Android Central App
  22. #22  

    Default Re: Why shouldn't I get a windows phone?

    Quote Originally Posted by A895 View Post
    I do agree with you. There are some who argue (over on WPCentral) that a toggle for data connection is too much. Android has had a data toggle for years now.

    Posted via Android Central App
    8.1 has it... Seriously though, what apps are you lacking that don't have comparable if not better options on Windows Phone?
  23. #23  

    Default Re: Why shouldn't I get a windows phone?

    Quote Originally Posted by z33dev33l View Post
    8.1 has it... Seriously though, what apps are you lacking that don't have comparable if not better options on Windows Phone?
    8.1 does not have a data toggle. Google Keep for speed and efficiency is better than OneNote for speed and quick notes. HBO Go, credit unions, Showtime, CWTV, etc. Newer games such as Super Hexagon, Dots, Ready Steady Bang, Family Guy:Quest for Stuff, Cut the Rope 2, Smash Hit and older games like Minecraft and Candy Crush. Apps need updates such as Office Mobile, and Spotify. I could go on. WP needs to bring more apps and games and keep them updated and not fall behind their counterparts on other OS`s. They also need more Google Services but that`s another issue.
  24. #24  

    Default Re: Why shouldn't I get a windows phone?

    Quote Originally Posted by z33dev33l View Post
    8.1 has it... Seriously though, what apps are you lacking that don't have comparable if not better options on Windows Phone?
    For me before I got my m8 it was BBC iPlayer and sky go two very important ones for me

    Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    A895 likes this.
  25. #25  
    Darth Spock's Avatar

    Posts
    6,384 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,425 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

    Default Re: Why shouldn't I get a windows phone?

    Quote Originally Posted by A895 View Post
    8.1 does not have a data toggle. Google Keep for speed and efficiency is better than OneNote for speed and quick notes. HBO Go, credit unions, Showtime, CWTV, etc. Newer games such as Super Hexagon, Dots, Ready Steady Bang, Family Guy:Quest for Stuff, Cut the Rope 2, Smash Hit and older games like Minecraft and Candy Crush. Apps need updates such as Office Mobile, and Spotify. I could go on. WP needs to bring more apps and games and keep them updated and not fall behind their counterparts on other OS`s. They also need more Google Services but that`s another issue.
    The Android Market had the same problem for quite a long time when developers were inclined to focus on iOS only. It takes time to create developer buy-in and many of the apps that Windows phone has are very well done. As app selection grows, user choice and adoption grows which makes developing for the OS more attractive, etc. Windows has been on phones for a long time but almost everyone agrees it was terrible for most of that time and it is really only in recent history that it has begun to adopt a more modern approach to the OS. The better they get at that, the better the potential to become a solid player becomes.

    OP, prior to Windows 8.1 the only thing that made Windows phone attractive (to me) was Nokia, in the camera department. Right now the OS still is not up to speed (in my opinion), but they've covered a LOT of the gap and if the ecosystem was there, I'd be willing to put their software on par with iOS from the perspective of my interest in using the software. If you are not concerned with the ecosystem argument, there is no reason that I can see which ought to preclude you from seriously considering their OS. It is definitely not bad, it just might not subjectively be "the best" ... but being the best implies being the best at something and only you can determine the criteria upon which that judgement can be rendered. If you're interested in them, give one a spin for a bit and if it serves your needs to your satisfaction, who cares what we think about the quality or whatever?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Why doesn't the Nexus 5 work on Verizon?
    By CannedBullets in forum Google Nexus 5
    Replies: 80
    Last Post: 06-22-2014, 03:21 PM
  2. Whatsapp missing from pen window.
    By Mohammed Buhamad in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-17-2014, 03:29 AM
  3. New Member coming from iPhone, getting S5.
    By globalexpresspilot in forum Introductions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-16-2014, 05:15 PM
  4. Why no love for the M8
    By Ronald Andrews in forum HTC One (M8)
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-16-2014, 11:18 AM

Posting Permissions