Google Camera

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...om.google.android.GoogleCamera&token=BJ8Vvvce

https://plus.google.com/104629412415657030658/posts/86JHD2mWW6k

Description
Google Camera snaps quick and easy photos and videos, and has creative picture modes like Photo Sphere, Lens Blur and Panorama.
Features
? Photo Spheres for immersive 360? views
? Lens Blur mode for SLR-like photos with shallow depth of field
? Panorama mode with high resolution
? 100% viewfinder for getting the maximum resolution from the sensor (no dropped pixels)
? Updated UI that gets out of your way and is centered on an extra large capture button
? Works on phones and tablets running Android 4.4+ KitKat

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

Last edited:

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Great app! However on my Moto X, I can not view a PhotoSphere in my gallery. I have tried others in the Play Store to no avail. It basically comes up as one huge pano.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Nice update.

About the new blur effect. Now, it probably isn't, but it seems like a kind thumbing their nose at HTC (not that they would have any reason to). Without adding the extra camera, they manage to capture the same kind of depth data. Sure, the effect is locked to focus on the foreground subject, but I'd chance a guess that tweaking the software to allow things to be user-selectable wouldn't be all that hard. Heh... maybe they left it out so as not to hurt HTC's feelings TOO much.

OK.... let's take bets on how much the Android press focuses in on this new mode, rather than the overall camera improvements (which seem to be pretty noteworthy)

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Try uploading it into Google Photos (or Google+)

Was able to finally start getting them to work. So I now use Google Photos to view them once taken. I also have had times where it keeps saying "can't connect to camera". When I try to open the app. Only restart fixes the issue.

Last edited:

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Love that more apps are being put in the play store. This will help the google camera suck a little less and get updates much quicker. Wish all the major apps were through the play store for every phone and manufacturer.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Looking at the redesign (and the APK breakdown).... looks to me that Google hired themselves a few optical engineers recently. heh....

The previous camera app seemed to me to be just a camera app... something they put together to have a stock application for Android... Sure, it had photosphere, which put out really slick pics if you had the right conditions, but it was never feature rich... and it didn't seem as though Google put much stock in it.

But this app seems different. Granted, it is missing a lot of the advanced features (at least initially Re: apk breakdown), but what it DID add is telling. From my personal use, it is focusing quicker and 'hunting' for focus less. I only did a quick comparison, but I compared a pic taken with this and one with "A Better Camera" and the new Google Cam produced a better overall photo... colors looked better and when zoomed in, there was less noise and better detail with the Google app.

And then there is the new lens blur feature. That's a pretty nifty bit of kit right there.... It might now seem like it to the untrained eye, but that function is doing some pretty advanced optical processing in the background to get you that effect.... If some don't understand how it works, think of it this way:

Close one eye. See how you lose depth perception? You may figure depth out through sheer force of the visual processing of your brain.. but just sitting there, you can't perceive true depth. Now move your head side to side. The effect you are experiencing is called 'parallax'. Your brain is taking in 2D information and using the difference in parallax to 'fill in' depth. This is how the new lens blur of the camera works... it takes a picture, then asks you to move the camera while it takes in more visual data. It uses this visual data to piece together depth... then BLUR!!

Now, it might sound simple, but there's some fancy-schmancy computing going on there...

InGrazAT

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
I have a Samsung Galaxy s4 i9500, with Google Camera.
Providing that I already rooted the device and fixed the android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE thing... (used the NextApp SDFix)

How can I force the app to save pics and videos TO the external SD card? Samsung stock camera always did the trick, as it was a system-app
Can't find any option....

thanks.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair