Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Kevin Oates
  • 1 Post By LeoRex
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,745 Global Posts

Default Google Camera

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...d.GoogleCamera

https://plus.google.com/104629412415...ts/86JHD2mWW6k

Description
    Google Camera snaps quick and easy photos and videos, and has creative picture modes like Photo Sphere, Lens Blur and Panorama.
    Features
    • Photo Spheres for immersive 360Ί views
    • Lens Blur mode for SLR-like photos with shallow depth of field
    • Panorama mode with high resolution
    • 100% viewfinder for getting the maximum resolution from the sensor (no dropped pixels)
    • Updated UI that gets out of your way and is centered on an extra large capture button
    • Works on phones and tablets running Android 4.4+ KitKat

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)
    Last edited by Ry; 04-16-2014 at 02:51 PM.
    Android Central Moderator

Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (LRX21P, Lollipop 5.0)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,745 Global Posts
    Android Central Moderator

Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (LRX21P, Lollipop 5.0)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

Global Posts
    1,446 Global Posts
    ROM
    Changes weekly!

Default Re: Google Camera

Great app! However on my Moto X, I can not view a PhotoSphere in my gallery. I have tried others in the Play Store to no avail. It basically comes up as one huge pano.

Can this app be the app that launches with the Moto X double wrist twist gesture?

Global Posts
    1,446 Global Posts
    ROM
    Changes weekly!

Quote Originally Posted by megatomic View Post
    Can this app be the app that launches with the Moto X double wrist twist gesture?
    I have not been able to set it as the default camera for that. Just goes into the Motorola Camera app.

Quote Originally Posted by splmonster View Post
    I have not been able to set it as the default camera for that. Just goes into the Motorola Camera app.
    Same here.

Quote Originally Posted by splmonster View Post
    Great app! However on my Moto X, I can not view a PhotoSphere in my gallery. I have tried others in the Play Store to no avail. It basically comes up as one huge pano.
    Try uploading it into Google Photos (or Google+)

Nice update.

About the new blur effect. Now, it probably isn't, but it seems like a kind thumbing their nose at HTC (not that they would have any reason to). Without adding the extra camera, they manage to capture the same kind of depth data. Sure, the effect is locked to focus on the foreground subject, but I'd chance a guess that tweaking the software to allow things to be user-selectable wouldn't be all that hard. Heh... maybe they left it out so as not to hurt HTC's feelings TOO much.

OK.... let's take bets on how much the Android press focuses in on this new mode, rather than the overall camera improvements (which seem to be pretty noteworthy)

love this app!! it's smooth, fast and user friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Oates View Post
    love this app!! it's smooth, fast and user friendly.
    Yeah, a solid update for sure. I was quite used to the old version, but the new one already feels intuitive and efficient.

Global Posts
    1,446 Global Posts
    ROM
    Changes weekly!

Quote Originally Posted by LeoRex View Post
    Try uploading it into Google Photos (or Google+)
    Was able to finally start getting them to work. So I now use Google Photos to view them once taken. I also have had times where it keeps saying "can't connect to camera". When I try to open the app. Only restart fixes the issue.
    Last edited by splmonster; 04-16-2014 at 08:30 PM.

Love that more apps are being put in the play store. This will help the google camera suck a little less and get updates much quicker. Wish all the major apps were through the play store for every phone and manufacturer.

Razr M not compatible.

Sent from my XT907 using AC Forums mobile app

Is your Razr M on 4.4? That's a prerequisite for using the Google Camera app.

Looking at the redesign (and the APK breakdown).... looks to me that Google hired themselves a few optical engineers recently. heh....

The previous camera app seemed to me to be just a camera app... something they put together to have a stock application for Android... Sure, it had photosphere, which put out really slick pics if you had the right conditions, but it was never feature rich... and it didn't seem as though Google put much stock in it.

But this app seems different. Granted, it is missing a lot of the advanced features (at least initially Re: apk breakdown), but what it DID add is telling. From my personal use, it is focusing quicker and 'hunting' for focus less. I only did a quick comparison, but I compared a pic taken with this and one with "A Better Camera" and the new Google Cam produced a better overall photo... colors looked better and when zoomed in, there was less noise and better detail with the Google app.

And then there is the new lens blur feature. That's a pretty nifty bit of kit right there.... It might now seem like it to the untrained eye, but that function is doing some pretty advanced optical processing in the background to get you that effect.... If some don't understand how it works, think of it this way:

Close one eye. See how you lose depth perception? You may figure depth out through sheer force of the visual processing of your brain.. but just sitting there, you can't perceive true depth. Now move your head side to side. The effect you are experiencing is called 'parallax'. Your brain is taking in 2D information and using the difference in parallax to 'fill in' depth. This is how the new lens blur of the camera works... it takes a picture, then asks you to move the camera while it takes in more visual data. It uses this visual data to piece together depth... then BLUR!!

Now, it might sound simple, but there's some fancy-schmancy computing going on there...
    patrixl likes this.

Global Posts
    4 Global Posts

I have a Samsung Galaxy s4 i9500, with Google Camera.
    Providing that I already rooted the device and fixed the android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE thing... (used the NextApp SDFix)

How can I force the app to save pics and videos TO the external SD card? Samsung stock camera always did the trick, as it was a system-app
    Can't find any option....

thanks.
    Last edited by InGrazAT; 05-11-2014 at 10:57 AM.

Wish it would set up at default Camera.
    But looks great.
    My History of Phones.
    2007 - 2011 iPhone 2G 3G 3GS 4G
    2012 - 2013 Samsung Galaxy S3 S4
    2014 - Google Nexus 5