Cheap, but good previous generation Android phone

digity

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm about to switch carriers (Sprint to AT&T). I can't take my Galaxy S3 with me, so I'm looking for a cheap, but good last/previous generation 4G Android phone around $200 (no contract, buy outright) that will tie me over until after the Oppo Find 7, Xperia Z2, LG G3 and Note 4 are released and reviewed. At that point I'll decide on which phone to purchase for the long term.

Any ideas?

P.S. - I'm not interested in the S4.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
If you are willing to buy a used device then the Nexus 5, Moto X, Nexus 4 (probably one of the cheapest) and LG G2 are probably the best options from Swappa and/or Ebay. If you are sure that you are going to go to AT&T does it need to be unlocked or will an AT&T branded device work? That tends to lower the price range a little on non-Nexus devices. If it were me and I knew it was only going to be six months, I might get a Galaxy Nexus or comparable phone for half the price (around $100-150) and put a KitKat ROM like Slim Kat on it to rock out OR try a Windows phone, etc. It may be worth perusing this section too: The Marketplace - Buy, Sell & Trade - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
If I were you I'd just get a Moto G. They're under $200 new. If you want to go used, they're probably even cheaper.

digity

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions! I was able to snag a LG G2 for $275 off Craig's List. I went with LG because I haven't experienced their brand yet. Plus the G2 was one of the latest phones released of that generation and the lowest priced. The reviews I've read were mostly stellar too.

Hope that helps someone.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions! I was able to snag a LG G2 for $275 off Craig's List. I went with LG because I haven't experienced their brand yet. Plus the G2 was one of the latest phones released of that generation and the lowest priced. The reviews I've read were mostly stellar too.

Hope that helps someone.

Hour you enjoy your new phone :)

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm about to switch carriers (Sprint to AT&T). I can't take my Galaxy S3 with me, so I'm looking for a cheap, but good last/previous generation 4G Android phone around $200 (no contract, buy outright) that will tie me over until after the Oppo Find 7, Xperia Z2, LG G3 and Note 4 are released and reviewed. At that point I'll decide on which phone to purchase for the long term.

Any ideas?

In the same boat...ditching Sprint for AT&T, and I personally am looking at the M8. But I would also suggest the Moto X. I have one and love it!

P.S. I am having a hard time actually deciding between the M8 and another X, that is how much I love that phone.

From a Liquid Nexus 5

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site

Any ideas?

I'd say the Moto G, the Moto X or the G5. If used is an option I'd also add the M7 or the G2 into the equation

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
If you don't mind refurbished, att has the note 3 for $250, s3 mini for $50. All know that the note 3 is a little above your price but in a few months when you sell it, you should be able to recoup all the cost anyway and perhaps even make a profit. All no contract pricing.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

Good choice. The LG G2, even though its past 6 months on the market now, STILL holds its own against the two new comers from HTC and Samsung, and, like you found, can be had for a REALLY good price, even new.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey