Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default What should I get?

So, right now I can't decide if I want to get a nexus 5 or a S5 or a M8.

The thing is, my concern comes with updates and UI. I really like stock android. But I also need good battery life to get me through the day.

So, my gut naturally went with the nexus 5. However , isn't its battery life worse than the S5 or M8? Also, are we close to a nexus 6 release? Are the S5 or M8 worth the price difference compared to the nexus 5?

Default Re: What should I get?

Quote Originally Posted by RavenSword View Post

The thing is, my concern comes with updates and UI. I really like stock android. But I also need good battery life to get me through the day.

So, my gut naturally went with the nexus 5. However , isn't its battery life worse than the S5 or M8? Also, are we close to a nexus 6 release? Are the S5 or M8 worth the price difference compared to the nexus 5?
    I had the same problem, went with the Nexus 5 amazing phone. Battery life is not that bad. How much on screen time do you usually have in a day ?

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    1,647 Global Posts
    ROM
    None

updates are not an issue as HTC has promised they will supply updates for 2 years and they already proven that with the recent updates to not only the m8., but older devices as well.

get the m8. you'll have all day battery life and sense isn't the same as it was in 2011. its pretty clean and you may like it even more then plain old boring stock android.
    My cell phone history for the last decade.

2005/2006: Motorola W315, Motorola razr
    2007: Motorola W385
    2008: HTC shadow
    2009/2010: Motorola i335, Motorola i9, Blackbery 8330,
    2010: HTC EVO 4G
    2011: HTC EVO 3D, HTC rezound
    2012: HTC EVO LTE
    2014: HTC ONE M8.

You can't go too far wrong with any of them, but if you really care about a clean stock experience and the quickest updates, you may find a non-Nexus disappointing. That said, HTC and Samsung have both gotten much better about updates. You're just likely to have to wait longer for them. Honestly, the N5 battery life gets a worse rap than it deserves. It's certainly no worse than past Nexuses.

Global Posts
    3 Global Posts

On the basis of battery life requirement, update and user interface, go for Samsung S5. Because if you can compare the S5 and M8 both have totally different UI and other features are better in S5 (camera, compatibility, easy in handling for all age)

The next nexus may not be out until the fall...

As for battery life, it's average. Some places make it out worse than it is because they are comparing it to phones like the S5, which have much bigger batteries.

Price is huge though... you can pick up a nexus 5 for about half the other phones. The S5 and M8 might be better phones, but not $300 better.

If battery life is a paramount, look at the LG G2. Like the Nexus 5, it's older but still blazing fast. It has a huge battery in it, and you can get good deals on it.

The S5 might be the new king of the hill, but value-wise, there are better phones out there (than both the S5 and M8)

Oh.... I'd even say look at an M7... I've read plenty of reviews that tell those with a M7 to not bother upgrading.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    10,176 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Get the device that feels the best and does the job you need it to do within the budget you have available. All are great phones and you won't go wrong with neither.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

I have to agree, all great android operating devices.
    Hate to be in your shoes! jk
    I would go with the S5.
    My History of Phones.
    2007 - 2011 iPhone 2G 3G 3GS 4G
    2012 - 2013 Samsung Galaxy S3 S4
    2014 - Google Nexus 5

I recommend the HTC one m8,my batter life has been awesome so far,I am currently at 1 day and 16 hours off the charger with 7 hours and 20 minutes of screen on time and that's without any battery saving options turned on,I'm at 17 percent right now,also the ui on the m8 feels quicker then touch wiz,touch wiz is heavy and uses up more ram then HTC sense,but in the end its up to you.

10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

So I went ahead and ordered a black nexus 5 off google play (thought about getting a red nexus 5, but went the conservative route)

Mostly because I really didn't want to do payments for a s5 or M8 and wanted stock android. And I wanted something off contract for a good price.

Hopefully a nexus 6 dosent drop in the next few months :/

Anything is possible, but Google has been releasing its Nexus phones in Q4 for five years now. I don't see why they'd change this year.

Quote Originally Posted by srkmagnus View Post
    Get the device that feels the best and does the job you need it to do within the budget you have available. All are great phones and you won't go wrong with neither.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
    The note 3!!!!!!!

Thanked by:

Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

If I was gonna pick an OEM right now I'd get the M8 if money is no object. Otherwise I would pick the N5 if you wanna get a great phone and save some cash as well.
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,178 Global Posts

Just don't go S5, Samsung is a subpar company that may have good specs but awful quality control and support.

I'd get the Nexus 5 out of those three. However, I'd get a G2 over the Nexus 5.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Is the nexus 5 still going to hold up for the next year or two?

Quote Originally Posted by RavenSword View Post

nexus 5 is really a nice phone
    LG-isai

Don't kid yourself, the S5 and M8 have newer hardware, but as far as performance goes you're just not going to see a significant difference. In two years, all three are going to be obsolete, so I wouldn't be too concerned. That's more an issue of mobile in general than any specific hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by stackberry369 View Post
    The note 3!!!!!!!

I would also recommend the Note 3 if the size isn't too big for you.

Sent from the Galaxy Note 3...yeah, its spectacular.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

Is the nexus 5 at least somewhat comparable to my 5S as far as battery life goes?

No. iOS has superior battery life because of hardware optimizations and the more restrictive way it handles app background operations and multitasking.
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,178 Global Posts

Don't go Samsung. I don't think you want to spend 2 years with a poorly built Fisher Price toy.

New forum rule: everybody who complains about Samsung build quality from now on will be considered jealous.

Seriously, ever since the original Galaxy S with these people. They're almost as bad as the Apple fanboys. -_-

Quote Originally Posted by zorak950 View Post
    New forum rule: everybody who complains about Samsung build quality from now on will be considered jealous.

Seriously, ever since the original Galaxy S with these people. They're almost as bad as the Apple fanboys. -_-
    Well, before the Note 3, all their phones felt like crap in your hand. The Note 3 and S5 are the first Samsung phones in a while that have actually flet good in your hand.
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,178 Global Posts

A new back doesn't make for overall subpar build quality. I use a Lumia 1020 and an M8. I'm also getting a moto X. All the companies with good build quality.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast