Need advice for GSM phone

Superorb

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Better tell everybody, including marketers, that before they call you or send you (large or lots of) files.
OR disable 'roaming'. That's a lot simpler.

Incoming calls are free on most of the international SIM cards ;) But I agree, just put the phone in airplane mode until you need to make a call or use data. Or you could power it off too.

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Assuming you don't want to use your device, you can keep it powered off all the time. I think the idea is to have your phone.

Superorb

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Assuming you don't want to use your device, you can keep it powered off all the time. I think the idea is to have your phone.

Well yeah, but when you're overseas you pay for data and minutes usage, so you want to limit that to only what you need. Otherwise it gets expensive fast. Unless you're on a T-mobile plan which includes free global roaming and data of course.

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Well yeah, but when you're overseas you pay for data and minutes usage, so you want to limit that to only what you need. Otherwise it gets expensive fast. Unless you're on a T-mobile plan which includes free global roaming and data of course.
Am I the only one that's confused about why we're all still having this conversation? The OP is getting an international SIM card and using their phone with it. Why are we talking about using US SIM cards overseas?

Superorb

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Am I the only one that's confused about why we're all still having this conversation? The OP is getting an international SIM card and using their phone with it. Why are we talking about using US SIM cards overseas?

I'm the OP. And SIM cards are at least related to the thread since I'll be using this phone overseas.

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm the OP. And SIM cards are at least related to the thread since I'll be using this phone overseas.
If you're using an international SIM card, though, why be concerned about overages you'd incur if you weren't? I feel like I'm missing the core issue.

Superorb

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
If you're using an international SIM card, though, why be concerned about overages you'd incur if you weren't? I feel like I'm missing the core issue.

I don't even have the phone yet, I'm still researching whether it would be better to go with Tmo or an Int'l SIM.

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I don't even have the phone yet, I'm still researching whether it would be better to go with Tmo or an Int'l SIM.
Ah, gotcha. Well, T-Mobile would be easiest; no swapping SIMs out. You'd have to make sure that all the countries you're going to be in are on their list of countries covered under their free roaming, though. And remember that the free data is only 2G and calls aren't free, just the data and texting. SInce it sounds like your usage is going to be very limited it could work out to be a good option for you, just be sure you know the fine print. The main beauty of going prepaid international SIM is that you can't screw up: if you try to do something that isn't covered or that you haven't deposited money for, it just won't work. If you're on postpaid T-Mobile, they'll start tacking things onto your bill.

Superorb

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Ah, gotcha. Well, T-Mobile would be easiest; no swapping SIMs out. You'd have to make sure that all the countries you're going to be in are on their list of countries covered under their free roaming, though. And remember that the free data is only 2G and calls aren't free, just the data and texting. SInce it sounds like your usage is going to be very limited it could work out to be a good option for you, just be sure you know the fine print. The main beauty of going prepaid international SIM is that you can't screw up: if you try to do something that isn't covered or that you haven't deposited money for, it just won't work. If you're on postpaid T-Mobile, they'll start tacking things onto your bill.

We're on Virgin Mobile now, and two years ago when I grabbed a prepaid Tmo phone there was no service (voice or data) so I canceled that. If things have gotten better I might consider sticking with it, but I figure it will be a PITA dealing with Tmo and canceling a non-prepaid plan even though they do the no-contract deals now.

Only thing about Int'l SIM is I worry I'll suck down data quick and they charge anywhere from $0.29 per MB which can add up quickly.

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
We're on Virgin Mobile now, and two years ago when I grabbed a prepaid Tmo phone there was no service (voice or data) so I canceled that. If things have gotten better I might consider sticking with it, but I figure it will be a PITA dealing with Tmo and canceling a non-prepaid plan even though they do the no-contract deals now.

Only thing about Int'l SIM is I worry I'll suck down data quick and they charge anywhere from $0.29 per MB which can add up quickly.
If that's your primary concern, I suggest just turning off mobile data in your device settings while you're on vacation. If you get into a situation where you need it, switch it on to get what you need and then off again. Slightly inconvenient, perhaps, but much easier than trying to make sure every app on your phone is set not to sync or turning your whole phone off. In a perfect world, you'll just use WiFi hotspots and never need to use any mobile data at all.

Superorb

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
If that's your primary concern, I suggest just turning off mobile data in your device settings while you're on vacation. If you get into a situation where you need it, switch it on to get what you need and then off again. Slightly inconvenient, perhaps, but much easier than trying to make sure every app on your phone is set not to sync or turning your whole phone off. In a perfect world, you'll just use WiFi hotspots and never need to use any mobile data at all.

Good point, thanks.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jan