Any linux(pc) users here?

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Before anyone responds, keep in mind I don't want this thread to turn into a bash-fest. We all have our own likes and dislikes, so let's keep it civil.

The thread title says linux(pc) users because most people are linux users whether they realize it or not and use it everyday. Your Android phone, DVR, microwave, company computers, servers, and everyday devices use linux because of its scalability. It's actually the most used OS on the planet when you consider the # of devices it runs on.

But I want to know about those people that use linux on the desktop. I personally use Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 as my main OS now. I used to be a distrowatch junkie back in the day, but I'm getting too old/lazy to try out every new distro these days. What do you use? And if you have only used linux in the past, talk about that. (just no bashing, please)

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I made a bootable Jumpdrive and disk for Ubuntu. I tried it a couple weeks ago, and didn't think much of it, But I will try it again soon.

_X_

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I hate when people start post that way.

Anyhow yes I use Linux, I've used it for years now.

I started with Ret Hat but my current distro is ubuntu. Absolutely hate the the new unity so I threw on xcfe

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site
I started with Ret Hat but my current distro is ubuntu. Absolutely hate the the new unity so I threw on xcfe

I was using xfce for a while, but every 6 months I like to shake things up and use something else. I actually like gnome shell. They've really improved things to the point where if you're a fan of gnome 2, you can set it up that way. Right now I have menus, and stuff I can't remember the name for, but it's nice. Gnome has come a long way. And I do love the hot corner. It's satisfying to flick my wrist and have my stuff there.

But being a linux user, I've also done Openbox, and appreciate it. Just depends what mood I'm in. I keep the same home folder throughout multiple installs, so I just try out different desktop environments. And yes, I'm aware of .config files interfering. I prune my hidden files before hand.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I use Ubuntu off and on. I really really want to make the switch from Windows to Linux, but every time I try there is something or another that I need that is not available on Linux. I usually use Ubuntu, though I've tried Mint as well.

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Does a Ubuntu Server count? :p

Wizzrah, Android Central Ambassador | Sent from my AT&T One XL running Karbon Kat. \(^~^)/

_X_

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Btw, I don't like how you started your post. You could have just posted what you needed to say and moved on......
Yeah you're right. Just caught me on a bad day.

I was using xfce for a while, but every 6 months I like to shake things up and use something else. I actually like gnome shell. They've really improved things to the point where if you're a fan of gnome 2, you can set it up that way. Right now I have menus, and stuff I can't remember the name for, but it's nice. Gnome has come a long way. And I do love the hot corner. It's satisfying to flick my wrist and have my stuff there.
I've used all sorts of Windows managers. My all time favorite was one called enlightenment.

But I've slowed down much on my Linux tinkering (I've used Linux as a primary OS since '94).
Now I just configure it to work and go on with my business. The only time i change anything now is when Ubuntu pushes out an update that break my system.

_X_

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I use Ubuntu off and on. I really really want to make the switch from Windows to Linux, but every time I try there is something or another that I need that is not available on Linux. I usually use Ubuntu, though I've tried Mint as well.

I use Oracle VM for those cases.

Hargoth

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Started using UNIX in 1985.
Never had Windows at work.
Started Linux seriously about 2000 (14 years ago).
Currently have 3 x86 boxen, 1 router 2 workstations, several small systems (such as open-mesh wireless routers), two tablets, and several phones, all of which run only Linux.

In 2002 when each of the three systems which my children used got a virus at the same time, I switched them over to Linux and have not had Windows at my house(s) since. One exception was that I left a Windows drive in my laptop that I used to travel to customer sites. I used Linux always for work, but I left the Windows partition on there until I could play the Elder Scrolls Online Beta, then purged it. :) I can wait til the Ps4 version comes out in June, now.

Hentie van Niekerk

May 20, 2014
Visit site
Good day

Try Linux mint
You can choose cinnamon if you like
There is a new one out with support till 2019 and is called Linux mint 17
I am downloading it now
Although I went back to windows now, I used Linux mint 15 for almost 2 years prior, with very good results
Mint 17 is about 1,2gb and worth trying
Good luck!