Can I download and/or launch Android games directly to SD Card without rooting?

RichJoker

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys. Before I begin, I'd like to say sorry for creating yet another thread with this topic.
I'm a newbie on the Android scene. In fact I purchased a Samsung Galaxy Grand GT-I9082 two months ago. (Yeah, I know Grand 2 came out on the beginning of this month) Well, I'd like to try most ins and outs of the Android, so I downloaded a large number of apps and games and in just 3 days, the device storage was full.I had just recently purchased a San Disk Class 10 32 GB Micro SD.

To my surprise, it seems that I can't automatically download games from the Play Store directly to the SD Card. I tried changing the download location to the sd card by using the adb.exe from the Android SDK. However, it seems that my laptop can't detect my device when using adb.exe, my device is already in the USB Debugging Mode. Even weirder, my laptop can still detect and have access to R/W to the device.

Is there any alternative way to download games/apps from the Play Store to SD Card directly? Without rooting, as my phone is still under warranty. Also, is there any tips from long time users for me? Especially to save the device storage.

Thanks in advance. http://forums.androidcentral.com/images/smilies/smile.png

sting7k

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Running games off SD card greatly hurts performance and is not recommended. The data transfer rate from the SD card is much slower than that of the built in flash memory. As such I believe many now do not even allow themselves to be downloaded and installed on SD cards from the Play Store.

Put games on the flash memory and other apps on the SD card.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
No you can't because Android removed the ability to natively run apps from the SD card several versions ago. The only reason your Galaxy Grand can move apps to the SD at all is because Samsung engineered their own way to do it. Because it is not natively supported by Android, the Play Store will not download a game (or any app) directly to the SD card.

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
With Samsung phones you can, well I can do it on my GS4 and on the Note 3. What you do is go to Settings -Application Manager and find the app or game you want, click on it and then click Move to SD Card. :)

Hope that helps!

RichJoker

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
So, the app move feature was only available in Samsung phones right now? Thought that ever since Frozen Yoghurt OS, every Android phones can do that. So, was the removal of the feature started from the ICS OS update?
Yeah, moved all of them to SD Card that way before, but don't give much boosts to the space. Thanks anyway guys for the fast response.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
So, the app move feature was only available in Samsung phones right now? Thought that ever since Frozen Yoghurt OS, every Android phones can do that. So, was the removal of the feature started from the ICS OS update?
Yeah, moved all of them to SD Card that way before, but don't give much boosts to the space. Thanks anyway guys for the fast response.

All Android phones could do it at one point (I think it was FroYo). Google removed the feature and Samsung built it back into TouchWiz.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2