Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 22 of 22
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By zedorda
  • 1 Post By Vsweety
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Phones and sweat/condensation... do i need to worry?

    So i have a question, its strange.

    When Im at work in the summer, its hot. Where i work has a bunch of deep fryers and grills, etc. combined with the heat outside.... its just hot. even with working AC

    I keep my phone in my pocket... and normally i would get like, sweat, or maybe condensation, on the side of my phone facing my body. I wasnt as worried about it with my old feature phoen. But im too nervous, especially now with my phone being all glass, to face it the other way in my pocket since that would mean the glass is facing outside. i would be more nervous if i nudged into anything when in a rush with it that way.

    I thought about keeping it inside of a plastic ziploc bag... or maybe even folding up some paper towel or something to put in between the phone itself and my body heat. maybe paper towel inside of the plastic bag?

    Anyone have any similar situations and have come up with a good solution? Im too afraid to just leave my phone out and about at work as i work with teenagers who could very well steal it. Everyone else does, but i dont know how they have the balls to.

    But anyway, solutions?
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Phones and sweat/condensation... do i need to worry?

    I sweat alot and have killed 3 phones with just sweat when in my pocket so I don't keep them there any more. A ziplock baggy might just work. You can also consider LifeProof cases.

    http://www.lifeproof.com/en/
  3. #3  
    Vsweety's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    409 Posts
    Global Posts
    414 Global Posts

    Default Re: Phones and sweat/condensation... do i need to worry?

    Quote Originally Posted by pawprints86 View Post
    I keep my phone in my pocket... and normally i would get like, sweat, or maybe condensation, on the side of my phone facing my body. I wasnt as worried about it with my old feature phoen. But im too nervous, especially now with my phone being all glass, to face it the other way in my pocket since that would mean the glass is facing outside. i would be more nervous if i nudged into anything when in a rush with it that way.
    Get a flip cover. Protects both sides against moisture contact and glass/screen breakage.

    Phones and sweat/condensation... do i need to worry?-samsung-galaxy-s3-flip-cover.jpg
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

    Default Re: Phones and sweat/condensation... do i need to worry?

    Would a screen protector serve the same purpose?

    the one i got is a slider so i dont think they make those kinds of covers for it...
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Phones and sweat/condensation... do i need to worry?

    The main problem for most phones and moisture are the ports. The headphone jack, USB port, and ear speaker allow humidity to circulate within the device. The 3 devices that failed on me had a couple of the moisture stickers showing wet.

    If you sweat alot and work to the point of working up a good sweat. You can develop a near 2 inch high humidity envelope around your body of around 110%. Most electric devices can't handle more than 85% humidity because any higher can allow for shorts right through the air within the device. Not even considering that as it cools all the condensation that happens.
  6. #6  
    Vsweety's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    409 Posts
    Global Posts
    414 Global Posts

    Default Re: Phones and sweat/condensation... do i need to worry?

    [Flip covers] protect both sides against moisture contact and glass/screen breakage.
    Quote Originally Posted by pawprints86 View Post
    Would a screen protector serve the same purpose?
    No.
    Screen protectors do NOT protect against moisture contact and glass/screen breakage. AT ALL.
    Screen protectors only slightly protect against minor glass/screen scratching. But at the expense of screen brightness, clarity, and touch sensitivity.

    the one i got is a slider so i dont think they make those kinds of covers for it...
    You're probably right. Still it's worth looking looking for one that fits, because a good covering case is the only thing that will really protect your glass/screen from scratching and moisture.
    If you also want to protect your phone/glass/screen from breaking as a result of bumps, knocks, drops, and falls a hard-shell case (like flip covers) will not be enough. For that you need a shock-absorbing soft-shell silicone rubber case.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default Re: Phones and sweat/condensation... do i need to worry?

    I had another idea just today. I already have a hard case for my phone (was lucky enough to find one at the mall!).

    as far as the pocket.... what about a ziploc baggy with a silica gel package inside? I have a bunch of those.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Phones and sweat/condensation... do i need to worry?

    You could get one of those water resistant phones, like the S5 or Z2. The Moto G and Moto X have nano coating that resist water too.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Phones and sweat/condensation... do i need to worry?

    Just get hold of a waterproof case. I have a Samsung S4 and use the Seidio Ornx case. I no longer need to put it in a zip lock bag. Just clip it on my pants and run. Sweat doesn't impact it.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

    Default Re: Phones and sweat/condensation... do i need to worry?

    Quote Originally Posted by snowpiercer View Post
    Just get hold of a waterproof case. I have a Samsung S4 and use the Seidio Ornx case. I no longer need to put it in a zip lock bag. Just clip it on my pants and run. Sweat doesn't impact it.
    you find me a waterproof case fo the samsung captivate glide and ill buy it. lol.
  11. #11  
    srkmagnus's Avatar

    Posts
    13,092 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,096 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

    Default Re: Phones and sweat/condensation... do i need to worry?

    Quote Originally Posted by pawprints86 View Post
    I had another idea just today. I already have a hard case for my phone (was lucky enough to find one at the mall!).

    as far as the pocket.... what about a ziploc baggy with a silica gel package inside? I have a bunch of those.
    I wouldn't suggest placing the device in a Ziploc or any other plastic baggy for that matter. If it's as hot as being described then you'll likely find moisture buildup within the Ziploc, which may potentially be worse. I wouldn't worry about having it in your pocket if you have the device in a case. If possible, consider leaving it in your car or an office (if available) while you are working.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Phones and sweat/condensation... do i need to worry?

    Quote Originally Posted by srkmagnus View Post
    I wouldn't suggest placing the device in a Ziploc or any other plastic baggy for that matter. If it's as hot as being described then you'll likely find moisture buildup within the Ziploc, which may potentially be worse. I wouldn't worry about having it in your pocket if you have the device in a case. If possible, consider leaving it in your car or an office (if available) while you are working.
    If he uses a new Zip-lock bag and a dry phone where does the moisture come from to build up? Where did anyone bring up the device getting hot? It is a Samsung captivate glide they don't hot all that easy.
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Phones and sweat/condensation... do i need to worry?

    Quote Originally Posted by snowpiercer View Post
    Just get hold of a waterproof case. I have a Samsung S4 and use the Seidio Ornx case. I no longer need to put it in a zip lock bag. Just clip it on my pants and run. Sweat doesn't impact it.
    It is a Samsung captivate glide a keyboard slider phone they can't make a waterproof case for it.
  14. #14  
    srkmagnus's Avatar

    Posts
    13,092 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,096 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

    Default Re: Phones and sweat/condensation... do i need to worry?

    Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    If he uses a new Zip-lock bag and a dry phone where does the moisture come from to build up? Where did anyone bring up the device getting hot? It is a Samsung captivate glide they don't hot all that easy.
    From the OP:
    I keep my phone in my pocket... and normally i would get like, sweat, or maybe condensation, on the side of my phone facing my body
    OP's work environment in the summer is hot and if the phone has condensation on it from just being in his pocket then I'd imagine that there would be even more condensation buildup within the Ziploc since there is no ventilation. It's not the device itself causing the heat per-se, but the combination of being in his/her pocket in a hot working environment and the added body heat is what seems to be causing the problem.
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Phones and sweat/condensation... do i need to worry?

    Quote Originally Posted by srkmagnus View Post
    From the OP:

    OP's work environment in the summer is hot and if the phone has condensation on it from just being in his pocket then I'd imagine that there would be even more condensation buildup within the Ziploc since there is no ventilation. It's not the device itself causing the heat per-se, but being in a pocket in a hot working environment and body heat.
    Yeah but the Zip-lock is a moisture barrier, 100% waterproof. If water can't get in there is no condensation. The real problem is that condensation only forms when the air is warmer than the surface with high humidity.

    Lets just say some magic moisture could get in then add a few grains of rice it will attract the moisture first.
    srkmagnus likes this.
  16. #16  
    srkmagnus's Avatar

    Posts
    13,092 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,096 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

    Default Re: Phones and sweat/condensation... do i need to worry?

    Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    Yeah but the Zip-lock is a moisture barrier, 100% waterproof. If water can't get in there is no condensation. The real problem is that condensation only forms when the air is warmer than the surface with high humidity.
    True. Thinking out-loud it didn't seem to be a good idea.
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Phones and sweat/condensation... do i need to worry?

    It happens to the best of us
  18. #18  
    Vsweety's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    409 Posts
    Global Posts
    414 Global Posts

    Default Re: Phones and sweat/condensation... do i need to worry?

    Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    Yeah but the Zip-lock is a moisture barrier, 100% waterproof. If water can't get in there is no condensation. The real problem is that condensation only forms when the air is warmer than the surface with high humidity.

    Lets just say some magic moisture could get in then add a few grains of rice it will attract the moisture first.
    If you get a call on a phone that's in a ziplock bag, with or without rice, in your hot, tight pocket it will be long gone before you can answer it.
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Phones and sweat/condensation... do i need to worry?

    Quote Originally Posted by Vsweety View Post
    If you get a call on a phone that's in a ziplock bag, with or without rice, in your hot, tight pocket it will be long gone before you can answer it.
    If your at work you shouldn't be answering the phone. OP just wants the phone safe he said he didn't want to just leave it somewhere bc it could get stolen so hes not really planning on using it during this period or at least not without planning it.
  20. #20  
    Vsweety's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    409 Posts
    Global Posts
    414 Global Posts

    Default Re: Phones and sweat/condensation... do i need to worry?

    Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    If your at work you shouldn't be answering the phone.
    We aren't all flipping burgers, you know.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

    Default Re: Phones and sweat/condensation... do i need to worry?

    Quote Originally Posted by Vsweety View Post
    We aren't all flipping burgers, you know.
    technically neither am i, i work the windows.

    am i safe enough keeping a napkin between myself and the phone and monitoring its moisture content? Although it hasnt been super hot yet, thats what ive been doing the last couple shifts.
  22. #22  
    Vsweety's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    409 Posts
    Global Posts
    414 Global Posts

    Default Re: Phones and sweat/condensation... do i need to worry?

    Quote Originally Posted by pawprints86 View Post
    technically neither am i, i work the windows.

    am i safe enough keeping a napkin between myself and the phone and monitoring its moisture content? Although it hasnt been super hot yet, thats what ive been doing the last couple shifts.
    If you don't use it during work hours anyway I would switch it off entirely – saving battery – and stick it in my locker, where humidity is not an issue, until a work pause or the end of my shift or work day.
    Problem solved and much better battery life!
    Aaron Heredia likes this.

Similar Threads

  1. Kitkat Issue: Can't Write to External SD Card
    By JGouse0498 in forum Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4
    Replies: 138
    Last Post: 07-18-2015, 09:34 AM
  2. So when do you think....
    By fofjjsr in forum Samsung Galaxy S5
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 04-27-2014, 06:22 PM
  3. How to take good low light/indoor pictures?
    By Joe113 in forum Samsung Galaxy S5
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-26-2014, 10:54 AM
  4. Facebook nearby friends? what do you think on Glanceout...
    By Cesar Roman in forum Android Central Apps
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-25-2014, 02:19 PM
  5. What happened to my GPS???
    By Evilguppy in forum Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-25-2014, 01:31 PM

Posting Permissions