Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default 8 pin USB Micro plug?

I have two cameras and several charging cables that use what sort of LOOKS like a Micro USB B plug. On closer examination, the plug is shaped similarly to the USB Micro B, but it's smaller. On even closer examination, this smaller plug has 8 pins in it instead of the 5 that the Micro USB B has. Any idea what these are? I don't seem to find any reference to it anywhere. I did find a reference to the USB Micro A plug, but the specs say it's the same size as the USB Micro B and has 5 pins. So I don't think this is a Micro USB A, since this one is definitely smaller and has 8 pins.

I've uploaded a picture. On the right is the standard USB Micro B plug that is used by almost all phones and tablets. On the left is this smaller plug that seems to be used mostly for cameras.

Steve
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 8 pin USB Micro plug?-imag0305-1-.jpg  

Default Re: 8 pin USB Micro plug?

Micro HDMI maybe?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Good thought. But I looked at one, and the Micro HDMI is just a bit wider, and it has 16 pins, two rows in the connector.

The only device I have that uses this is an Olympus camera. But I had another brand of camera that used one too.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

I got a bit more information on this from a vendor. They say it's a "Type 7 USB". Has anyone heard of a Type 7 USB?

File:Usb connectors.JPG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Looks like the 2nd one.

UC-E6 proprietary (non-USB) plug
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

The one that says it's a "USB 1.1 Micro"? It does sort of look like that when I blow it up, except it has a few pins missing. But I have cables with all 8 pins, and at least one that only has 5 like this, so this may be it.

thanks

It is a proprietary plug meaning it can have as many or as little as the company using it wants. The real name of the plug is UC-E6 proprietary (non-USB) plug. It is considered non-USB bc it is not Universal it is Proprietary.