Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default I'm back and forth again with android.

    (So, I posted this on the Imore forums as well because I want to get ipinons from both sides)

    So, once again I'm struggling deciding between iOS and android for my phone.

    I think I've collected my thoughts on both, but I still simply can't decide. I have in my possession my 5S that I've had since October and my nexus 5 that I recovered on Friday and I need to decide wether to return it or not before my 14 days are up on the return window.

    So, honestly I'm not sure. And I'm honestly getting tired trying to decide between the two.

    With iOS, I like that I don't need to micromanage to get good battery life and that I don't really need to worry about apps draining the battery when they shouldn't be. On android, I feel like I need to be monitoring apps and battery consumption frequently to make sure I'm getting the battery I'm supposed to be getting. But maybe I'm being OCD, I don't know.

    Also with iOS I like I have a idea what the phones going to do . What I mean by that is that I view iOS sort of as a appliance. It's going to do one thing I want, and chances are it'll do it without problems . The downside to this is this singular focus makes it hard to do multiple things at once or to multitask. For example, I hate that apps can't just access one another to do things like sending pictures, documents and other data.

    Another thing is I just like apple as a company. I think there one of the few that actually puts painstaking thought and takes there time with things until their mature. This is a double edge sword though because it means there slow to adopt great technologies until there out for a while. Which makes it frustrating. But I don't know how good it is to just use a product because if the name on the box instead of the quality of the product.

    The things I like about android is that I like the philosophy of the platform more than iOS. With android, it's all about making it the way you want. You don't really have to go along with how the maker wants their phone to look or behave if you don't like it. You can switch stuff out as you want. Such as keyboards, home screens, launchers, etc. and if your savy you can even put a entirely new ROM on it. Obviously this openness creates issues with rouge apps and process messing with your phone.

    Also, like I said I like how apps can communicate with one another. It makes it a lot easier to do stuff.

    Also with android you get a larger screen, but chances are this year we will get bigger iPhones. But I like a bigger screen. Also I like the hardware choice. I get to pick the right tool for the right job. With apple, I only get what they give me.

    However, things I don't like about android is the micromanaging. Again, may be unnecessary, but I keep getting worried some apps gonna wreck my battery or something.

    Another thing I have issue with apple though is that I feel I don't really have choices. If I don't like what there doing with their phones or OS, I don't have a choice in the matter outside of buying a android or windows phone. And this applies to all their products as well.

    But the apple store support is very nice as well.

    So really, there's not right answer it seems. But I gotta make a choice.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: I'm back and forth again with android.

    Personally I would say the Android. I mean look at the Z2 from Sony, it has a beast battery right? Probably the apps that drain your battery will be the apps that aren't as well developed as others, so you simply just need to uninstall it. You don't need to micromanage apps, simply pick a company (HTC, Samsung, Sony or one of your personal choices) and activate the battery saver mode so your phone could last a whole day. I lean more to Sony's Z2. With Android you also have a harsher competition, as a lot of companies are vying for the top spot in mobile phones, so you will probably get better specs with always-improving phones to keep up with competition.

    The only thing Apple has is their "groundbreaking new technology" that will sweep fanboys off, creating a hype that will die down within months. If you invest in Apple's ecosystem, you will never get out, you essentially become dependent on them.

    All comes down to your needs, and seeing your post I feel that Android could better satisfy your needs.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: I'm back and forth again with android.

    Quote Originally Posted by thatdennis View Post
    Personally I would say the Android. I mean look at the Z2 from Sony, it has a beast battery right? Probably the apps that drain your battery will be the apps that aren't as well developed as others, so you simply just need to uninstall it. You don't need to micromanage apps, simply pick a company (HTC, Samsung, Sony or one of your personal choices) and activate the battery saver mode so your phone could last a whole day. I lean more to Sony's Z2. With Android you also have a harsher competition, as a lot of companies are vying for the top spot in mobile phones, so you will probably get better specs with always-improving phones to keep up with competition.

    The only thing Apple has is their "groundbreaking new technology" that will sweep fanboys off, creating a hype that will die down within months. If you invest in Apple's ecosystem, you will never get out, you essentially become dependent on them.

    All comes down to your needs, and seeing your post I feel that Android could better satisfy your needs.
    Honestly, I think so to. It was just the battery irking me. Its not that the nexus 5 has terrible battery, I just feel like I have to keep a eye on it during the day. But I really can't afford a 700 dollar flagship android phone with a big battery right now.
  4. #4  
    bricky23's Avatar

    Posts
    14 Posts
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts

    Default Re: I'm back and forth again with android.

    Quote Originally Posted by RavenSword View Post
    Honestly, I think so to. It was just the battery irking me. Its not that the nexus 5 has terrible battery, I just feel like I have to keep a eye on it during the day. But I really can't afford a 700 dollar flagship android phone with a big battery right now.
    If you go with the next iphone with bigger screen, you will pay that and more. You can get an lg g2 cheep. And the battery is much better than the nexus 5

    Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:
  5. #5  

    Default Re: I'm back and forth again with android.

    Quote Originally Posted by RavenSword View Post
    Honestly, I think so to. It was just the battery irking me. Its not that the nexus 5 has terrible battery, I just feel like I have to keep a eye on it during the day. But I really can't afford a 700 dollar flagship android phone with a big battery right now.
    Well, then if you can't afford a Z2, don't go for an iPhone. Not only is it ridiculously expensive, you can't even expand the memory and if perhaps you want to, you will have to pay extra for it. I dislike that about the iPhone, since I have movies to watch on the go and the in the IPhone it will take too much memory.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

    Default Re: I'm back and forth again with android.

    Can I ask real quick what mediaserver is under my battery usage? Its says it was keeping my phone awake for a hour and half. And the phone wasn't even in use I don't think. it says it was only 11 percent consumption, but that even that too high?

    Does listening to music apps trigger this? Also noticing That during my time not using the phone over night it kept pinging awake. I saw this on the battery screen.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default Re: I'm back and forth again with android.

    Quote Originally Posted by thatdennis View Post
    Well, then if you can't afford a Z2, don't go for an iPhone. Not only is it ridiculously expensive, you can't even expand the memory and if perhaps you want to, you will have to pay extra for it. I dislike that about the iPhone, since I have movies to watch on the go and the in the IPhone it will take too much memory.
    I already own the iPhone
  8. #8  
    _X_
    _X_ is offline
    _X_'s Avatar

    Posts
    341 Posts
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts

    Default Re: I'm back and forth again with android.

    Quote Originally Posted by RavenSword View Post
    ... On android, I feel like I need to be monitoring apps and battery consumption frequently to make sure I'm getting the battery I'm supposed to be getting. But maybe I'm being OCD, I don't know.
    The Nexus 5 is essentially an LG G2 with a few downgrades to make the device more affordable. One of the downgrades is a smaller battery.

    Android is just as hands free as iOS but because you can modify it folks have a very difficult time keeping their hands off and feel the need to tinker.

    So the perceived need to constantly monitor apps is more behavioral than platform required.

    That said they're are apps thst can drain your battery, but it's not because of a crappy app vs a good app uts because of how Android does app multitasking. Any app can run a background process and does not have to be in the foreground to run, while iOS has this feature also they don't allow it for 3rd party apps. (rumors are this is changing).
    This means that an app that does not get shut off can potentially kill your battery because it will not allow your phone to go to sleep. Those are the rouge apps you need to look for, if you are finding your battery is dieing too quickly.
  9. #9  
    _X_
    _X_ is offline
    _X_'s Avatar

    Posts
    341 Posts
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts

    Default Re: I'm back and forth again with android.

    Quote Originally Posted by thatdennis View Post
    Well, then if you can't afford a Z2, don't go for an iPhone. Not only is it ridiculously expensive, you can't even expand the memory and if perhaps you want to, you will have to pay extra for it. I dislike that about the iPhone, since I have movies to watch on the go and the in the IPhone it will take too much memory.
    This is true many vendors and many ROMs have some sort power saving mode. My Samsung note has this feature. By giving up performance you can easily double your battery time. My wife's LG G2 has that too. Her phone lasts all day and she refuses to use the power save option.
  10. #10  
    srkmagnus's Avatar

    Posts
    9,749 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,753 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

    Default Re: I'm back and forth again with android.

    Adding to the discussion, how about the ecosystem you've already invested into? Are you heavily invested with iOS? Perhaps that'll be the better choice after taking into consideration for everything else you are considering. Same goes for the Nexus 5 and Android.

    Bottom line is that you should get something that meets your demands. If you feel that you'll have to pay extra close attention to the Nexus 5 to conserve battery then perhaps that's not the device for you. Owning a smartphone should be an enjoyable experience and make your life easier, not complicate it.

    Let us know what you decide on going with .
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

    Default Re: I'm back and forth again with android.

    So, I'm actually probsly going to hang on to the nexus 5 for now. I want to get a Sim converter though in case I want to swap phones. Is there a recommended nano to micro converter? Or do they all work the same?
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

    Default Re: I'm back and forth again with android.

    So, something kind of interesting happened. I actually sent back the nexus 5. But what happened one the original one I ordered, canceled, and got a refund on arrived at my door yesterday. I don't feel right keeping it though, so I called google and told them about it. They said if I kept it I wouldn't have warranty options. So they said they'll send me a shipping label, which hasn't arrived yet in my email.

    They are supposed to send me the label, but haven't yet.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

    Default Re: I'm back and forth again with android.

    Part of me thinks I should wait and see what the nexus 6 or new moto x is like. I'm just not sure about the nexus 5's battery life. Isn't as good as my iPhones.
  14. #14  

    Default Re: I'm back and forth again with android.

    Quote Originally Posted by thatdennis View Post
    Probably the apps that drain your battery will be the apps that aren't as well developed as others.
    yes. and the culprit is always google for me. unpredictable battery life, and frequent drains. investigation has ALWAYS for me revealed "Android OS", or google play services, or play music...or another google service, as the drain.

    often it is a temporary server glitch, but i'm not sure how i should be calling something a glitch when it happens so often. i've recently disable most google services. i'm a google fanboy, yet it has gotten old to me. i'll never go to apple, so it is what it is.

    btw, i've never had a drain issue with a non-google app/service. i'm sure there are plenty of rogue apps, but i've never had one.
  15. #15  

    Default Re: I'm back and forth again with android.

    Quote Originally Posted by ljxdaly View Post
    yes. and the culprit is always google for me. unpredictable battery life, and frequent drains. investigation has ALWAYS for me revealed "Android OS", or google play services, or play music...or another google service, as the drain.

    often it is a temporary server glitch, but i'm not sure how i should be calling something a glitch when it happens so often. i've recently disable most google services. i'm a google fanboy, yet it has gotten old to me. i'll never go to apple, so it is what it is.

    btw, i've never had a drain issue with a non-google app/service. i'm sure there are plenty of rogue apps, but i've never had one.
    Well my only say in this is to get a high-end android phone like the Z2 or M8, which have incredible battery life.
  16. #16  

    Default Re: I'm back and forth again with android.

    perhaps i wasn't clear enough. it is not about the battery capacity sometimes. sometimes you can have a high end phone, and have battery drain. and that drain seems to me always caused by google. i have little doubt that even the best battery efficient phone will from time to time experience inexplicable battery drain that is unusually high for THAT phone.

    i have a moto x, btw. maybe not the newest hero device, but still.
  17. #17  

    Default Re: I'm back and forth again with android.

    Quote Originally Posted by ljxdaly View Post
    perhaps i wasn't clear enough. it is not about the battery capacity sometimes. sometimes you can have a high end phone, and have battery drain. and that drain seems to me always caused by google. i have little doubt that even the best battery efficient phone will from time to time experience inexplicable battery drain that is unusually high for THAT phone.

    i have a moto x, btw. maybe not the newest hero device, but still.
    Hmm, then there must be something wrong with your phone. My old S3's battery became weak not because of google (and never google actually), but by overcharging it. Odd that Google drains the battery like that, maybe its only the Moto X?
  18. #18  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    23,408 Posts
    Global Posts
    23,850 Global Posts
    ROM
    SlimKat

    Default Re: I'm back and forth again with android.

    To add to the discussion, location reporting can be quite taxing on the battery. If you set it to power saving mode, that may help. As for the Nexus, the downside to that device is the battery life. Something that has a better battery may be something to consider. The M8 for me is quite good.

    Sent from my HTC One_M8 using AC Forums mobile app

    Phone Timeline
    What could not be changed, must be endured - New Spring, by Robert Jordan
    Community Guidelines and also here, Developer Rules, and Marketplace
    Mobile Nations Sister Forums: iMore/Connectedly/Windows Central/Crackberry
  19. #19  

    Default Re: I'm back and forth again with android.

    I think iOS and Android are both good. If your worried about battery life and price on Android I would return your Nexus 5 and get a g2. You shouldn't have any battery issues with the g2. There should be some good deals on the g2 on new ones with the g3 coming out soon.

    Sent from my LG-LS980 using AC Forums mobile app
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

    Default Re: I'm back and forth again with android.

    Quote Originally Posted by phoneaddict78 View Post
    I think iOS and Android are both good. If your worried about battery life and price on Android I would return your Nexus 5 and get a g2. You shouldn't have any battery issues with the g2. There should be some good deals on the g2 on new ones with the g3 coming out soon.

    Sent from my LG-LS980 using AC Forums mobile app
    Not a fan of lg software, though
  21. #21  

    Default Re: I'm back and forth again with android.

    As you said, maybe wait for the Nexus 6, see how it is.

    I personally got an iPad to get my dose of iOS while enjoying Android, so I'm happy with that combo. Maybe you should consider getting a Nexus 6 + Apple iPad Mini Retina? That would be a nice combo, IMO.
    Samsung GALAXY S 4 32GB Exynos Octa Black Mist
    Samsung GALAXY S II 16GB Ceramic White
    Apple iPad4 WiFi+3G/LTE 16GB
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

    Default Re: I'm back and forth again with android.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tsepz_GP View Post
    As you said, maybe wait for the Nexus 6, see how it is.

    I personally got an iPad to get my dose of iOS while enjoying Android, so I'm happy with that combo. Maybe you should consider getting a Nexus 6 + Apple iPad Mini Retina? That would be a nice combo, IMO.
    We'll , I currently own a iPad 4. Which I like a lot. Wish it was lighter weight though.

    I think I'm gonna wait for now anyway. Can't afford a good android phone right now and I should use that money towards a few other things right now.

    Going forward I'm going to have to go without subsides though. My parents recently changed our family plan so now we need to get phones through the ATT next plan. So know we need to pay the full amount of the phone.

Similar Threads

  1. android os using high background data in android 4.4.2
    By abhinit karna in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-27-2014, 08:37 PM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-14-2014, 12:24 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-07-2014, 06:36 AM
  4. HP Android Laptop
    By eggantom in forum General News & Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-06-2014, 04:39 AM
  5. Android security
    By Tai0406 in forum HTC One (M8)
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-29-2014, 01:45 PM

Posting Permissions