Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default I need a little help with choosing a new smartphone

Hello everyone,
    I'm new to this forum and I'm sorry if I make any mistakes
    Currently I have a HTC Evo 3D and it did a great duty for its 3 years. Now I'm thinking of upgrading it to something more new. My uncle is coming home (Europe) from Canada in early July and I can buy through him a new smartphone. A friend of mine has a Nexus 4 and he's encouraging me to buy a Nexus 5. When I saw what it was, I was amazed by what you get for that price. I found out that it has 2 weaknesses - battery and camera. As a medium user, the battery won't be a problem and also I don't mind carring a charger with me. As for the camera, I insist on having a good one, because I like to take good photos of the nature and sunrises around me. Because of the camera, I've looked at the LG G2 and the OnePlus One. The LG G2, as far as I read, has a larger battery and a better camera, but the software isn't that good. As for the OnePlus, I was ready to give my money for it when I saw the invitation system, and I told to myself that it would be difficult for me to get one and I don't like waiting a lot. So I want your opinion on what to do. Should I get one of these phones or maybe another or should I wait for the next Nexus/LG phone?

Thank you for your time and have a nice day/night

Default Re: I need a little help with choosing a new smartphone

Have you actually tried the Nexus 5 camera? It's certainly not the best smartphone camera, but it's underrated. You should satisfy yourself that it really is unacceptable before dismissing the phone over it.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

The LG G2 is quite old now and its updates may slowdown now, rather look at a phone introduced in 2014.

What I recommend is seeing as you thoroughly enjoyed your Evo 3D you get a Htc One (M8) Google Edition, your uncle should be able to get it for you in Europe. It will get updates almost as soon as a Nexus 5 and should be great for the next 2years.

5inch HD1080P display
    Snapdragon 801 CPU
    2600mAh battery
    Metal unibody
    MicroSD
    A decent 4MP UltraPixel Camera with larger sensor
    Stereo Loudspeakers
    and
    Stock Android.

HTC One (M8) - Full phone specifications

Best of luck!
    Samsung GALAXY S 4 32GB Exynos Octa Black Mist
    Samsung GALAXY S II 16GB Ceramic White
    Apple iPad4 WiFi+3G/LTE 16GB
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Thanks for the quick replies. Unfortunately, I don't have the opportunity to try the nexus 5, but what i see from the nexus 4 (I know that the cameras are a bit different) and from what I have seen on the Internet, it doesn't make the best photos compared maybe to the G2 or something similar in its class. As for the M8, I'd happily be interested in it, but it's a bit over my budged (400-500$ max). As i stated above, if the oneplus was available for everyone, that would probably be my choice, but now, I'm not sure what to do.

Best regards!
    Banned

Global Posts
    414 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Inhumann View Post
    My uncle is coming home (Europe) from Canada in early July and I can buy through him a new smartphone.
    That's very nice of him, and might save you a bundle.
    But when something goes wrong with that brandnew piece of hi-tech kit where are you going to claim your warranty?
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

If the warranty is valid in Canada, I'll probably ship it back to him and he'll do the process.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Hello again,
    After weeks of thinking and researching, I chose the Note 3, it has a great screen, specs, Spen, camera and so on. My question is, is it still a solid pick?

Hello again,
    After weeks of thinking and researching, I chose the Note 3, it has a great screen, specs, Spen, camera and so on. My question is, is it still a solid pick?
    Yes it is.

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app

Global Posts
    20,820 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Hello again,
    That will be a good device for another solid year.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
    Banned

Global Posts
    414 Global Posts

If the warranty is valid in Canada, I'll probably ship it back to him and he'll do the process.
    He can't do that if he isn't there...

My uncle is coming home (Europe) from Canada in early July