I keep praising Hangouts, but......................................

anon(8630322)

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
I am constantly praising Google's Hangouts as in my opinion it is far superior to stuff used previously, ie messenger, skype and have found that whichever we use, phone, laptop or tablet, the sheer simplicity of it all, make it our favourite.

But, just in case I've missed anything, do you know of any of it's failings, if indeed it has any?

Vsweety

Banned
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
I am constantly praising Google's Hangouts as in my opinion it is far superior to stuff used previously, ie messenger, skype and have found that whichever we use, phone, laptop or tablet, the sheer simplicity of it all, make it our favourite.

But, just in case I've missed anything, do you know of any of it's failings, if indeed it has any?

Yes, Hangouts has a fundamental flaw: it's in Google's walled garden. I don't like walled gardens.

anon(257429)

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
FB messenger works way better and looks better as well. But the IOS version of Hangouts looks greats! I dont understand Google at times. Let us have one app that actually makes us glad we got rid of the old one.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I don't like how when I select a photo from my gallery and hit share hangouts only let's me send it to one person. If I open hangouts then attach photo it works. Also half of my iPhone friends never get my messages.

Posted via Android Central App

anon(257429)

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I don't like how when I select a photo from my gallery and hit share hangouts only let's me send it to one person. If I open hangouts then attach photo it works. Also half of my iPhone friends never get my messages.

The need to solidify features and remove all the animations and transitions in the app. FUNCTION should be the focus.

Last edited:

retsaw

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
Hangouts is the only instant messaging program I use (if you don't count regular SMS), I just use it for Ingress related chat, so I can't compare it to others IM apps, but:

It's too easy to start a video call. There should be a way to disable video calls (perhaps on a per hangout basis) so you can't hit it accidentally, and also a confirmation that is what you want to do. I have found an app to block the button, but it shouldn't be needed.

I also think they should make it easier to turn off notifications for individual hangouts.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Isn't there a way in hangouts to tell if someone read your message or not? I thought that at mobile world congress the gang said if read the recipient pic goes Grey?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Isn't there a way in hangouts to tell if someone read your message or not? I thought that at mobile world congress the gang said if read the recipient pic goes Grey?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

If there avatar is BELOW the message then that is showing they have in fact read or saw the message. It ONLY works in Hangouts. NOT SMS. Now how realistic is it? I don't know. I wouldn't trust that as your end all by any means. More of an idea.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20