Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By sting7k
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Best off contract phones right now?

So, my parents recently have changed out phone plan to where we dont get regular subsidies anymore. Now we need to do the ATT Next upgrade plans in order to get new phones because it saved a lot on our phone bill or something. I dont know how I feel about it, but its there plan, not mine so I have to go along with it.

Now im stuck with either doing a installment plan paying off the full price of a phone or going with buying a phone outright for full price, wether that be through att or a off contract option.

my question is, since im looking to pick up a android phone, whats the best option(s) for me if I need to buy one outright and maybe even off contract?

The nexus 5 i found to have pretty middling battery life, which I can make work I guess if I carry a battery pack on longer days with me, but would be interested in something with better battery life. is the Nexus 5 the best option?
    Ry

Global Posts
    9,157 Global Posts

Default Re: Best off contract phones right now?

Available right now?

Nexus 5 and Moto X.
    Android Central Moderator

Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto 360 (LWX48T, Lollipop 5.0.1)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (LRX21P, Lollipop 5.0)

What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    Available right now?

Nexus 5 and Moto X.
    a moto x is tempting because of the battery life, but its successor is coming up in the next month or two probably. but who knows how much that will be off contract. probably full price (600-700 dollars.)

The LG G2 gets significantly better battery life than the N5. Costs a bit more, but I think it's worth it for improved battery life and camera.

You might also want to look at the Moto X and Moto G. Both are very good phones.

Sent from my G2 running SOKP
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by SactoKingsFan View Post
    The LG G2 gets significantly better battery life than the N5. Costs a bit more, but I think it's worth it for improved battery life and camera.

You might also want to look at the Moto X and Moto G. Both are very good phones.

my complaint with the G2 is the LG skin. I dont know how much a launcher like nova prime would fix that.

The Moto G honestly dosent have enough storage and the lack of LTE and the screen I think are deal breakers for me.

out of the 2 I think the Moto X and Nexus 5 would be the ones I like the most. Moto X i am unsure how many more updates itll get and how the now aging hardware will hold up over time and the Nexus 5 has that battery life issue. but as i said, I can maybe manage the battery life with a external battery or just make sure I keep an eye on it and charge when I can.

Maybe I should just save for a flagship phone off contract, but im not too interested in spending 600 dollars right now outright.

Moto G is a great price at $199 if you don't want to be spending a lot but still want a quality phone. For $50 more the LG Optimus G while older is still a great buy, it offers a better camera, slightly larger screen, 4G LTE, and also expandable storage for not much more.

Moto X and the Nexus 5 will be those more expensive options that while costing more will offer a more premium experience.

Here's the link to the LG Optimus G for reference. It's available at Amazon with no annual contract.
    Amazon.com: LG Optimus G, Black 32GB (AT&T): Cell Phones & Accessories
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by Zacharyw70 View Post
    Moto G is a great price at $199 if you don't want to be spending a lot but still want a quality phone. For $50 more the LG Optimus G while older is still a great buy, it offers a better camera, slightly larger screen, 4G LTE, and also expandable storage for not much more.

Moto X and the Nexus 5 will be those more expensive options that while costing more will offer a more premium experience.

Here's the link to the LG Optimus G for reference. It's available at Amazon with no annual contract.
    Amazon.com: LG Optimus G, Black 32GB (AT&T): Cell Phones & Accessories
    its kinda hard for me to wrap my head around using a moto g coming from a iphone 5S. call me crazy, but I cant see a 200 dollar phone being very good.

Im probaly going to just pick up a nexus 5 again. I dont think I can go without LTE or a 1080P screen anymore. plus itll get continued updates for the foreseeable future and I dont think a nexus 6 will hit until november or so.

or theres the other side of the equation and thats I could just keep using my iphone 5S for the time being until I can afford a pricier android phone :/
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Part of me thinks it could be a decent idea to sell the iphone 5S for about 500 or so on ebay (dont know what a 32gb space gray 5S is going for these days) and just pick up a cheaper android handset and pocket the difference. but I dont want to feel like im downgrading in performance, enjoyment and experience.

Quote Originally Posted by SactoKingsFan View Post

I'm agree with you Dude

The LG G2 is now falling into the budget category especially now with the imminent release of the G3.

It's still a cracking device from what I have read. Can't really make big claims as I haven't owned one.

But certainly worth considering.

Posted via Android Central App

Yeah...... If you have issues with the battery in the Nexus 5, but don't care for the G2's UI, get yourself an unlocked G2 and flash a custom ROM like Liquid Smooth or OSE. Problem solved.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Quote Originally Posted by LeoRex View Post
    Yeah...... If you have issues with the battery in the Nexus 5, but don't care for the G2's UI, get yourself an unlocked G2 and flash a custom ROM like Liquid Smooth or OSE. Problem solved.
    Eh, I really don't want to flash a ROM honestly.
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,945 Global Posts
    ROM
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

Available right now?

Nexus 5 and Moto X.
    This.

Moto X if you're on Verizon. Nexus 5 if you're anywhere else.

The new One+1 is awesome too though. And should be out within a month. OnePlus One review: a $300 smartphone has never looked so good

Quote Originally Posted by RavenSword View Post
    my complaint with the G2 is the LG skin. I dont know how much a launcher like nova prime would fix that.
    As someone who uses Nova Prime on a G2, it is a fantastic combo. I came from a Moto X, which I loved, and I wouldn't go back. The G2 is totally worth the extra $60 over the 32 GB Moto X.

Posted via Android Central App

Eh, I really don't want to flash a ROM honestly.
    I have an LG G2 and you can just download themes as .apks and use them, as the LG G2 has its own theme engine, no root required!
    [THEMES] Biz Bunny Cozy Flex Isai LTE Monster S5 M8 Z2 AOSP G3 P6 K900 MX3 [2/5/14] - xda-developers

I use the "LG with Moonshine" theme and I'm very happy with the results

Moto X, Nexus 5 or One PLUS One. On the cheap: Moto G.

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app

Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

As far as a buget phone I's look at the N5, Moto X or Moto G.

Global Posts
    3,745 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.2

Available right now?

Nexus 5 and Moto X.
    What Ry said.
    Thanked by:
    Ry 
    Ry and A895 like this.
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

Quote Originally Posted by cgardnervt View Post
    As far as a buget phone I's look at the N5, Moto X or Moto G.
    Coming from a iPhone 5S, I'm not sure how I feel about going to a moto g. Just makes me think the experience of something that cheap (price wise) won't be nearly as good.

- - - Updated - - -

Available right now?

Nexus 5 and Moto X.
    Out of those which would you pick?
    Ry

Global Posts
    9,157 Global Posts

Out of those which would you pick?
    Personally, the Moto X. I want the smaller phone. And I like the Motorola's software/hardware strategy. The add-ons that they've included over Android are worth it. No need to download separate apps.

When I want to take a picture or video, 95% of the time, I use the twist gesture.

If I use the Google Now voice commands, I always launch them with "OK Google Now" without touching my phone.

I have a Pebble so Trusted Bluetooth allows me to run without needing my passcode as long as it's connected.

My 9-5 has me at a desk all day so I've got Motorola Connect setup so I can get my SMS, MMS, and call (alerts) on my desktop.

Motorola Assist keeps my phone quiet while I'm sleeping.

I'd rather have Active Display over an LED notification light.

And the overall interface feels pure Android (vs. pure Google). I have the Google Now Launcher on my Nexus 7 (2012), but I'm probably going to switch back.

Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

Personally, the Moto X. I want the smaller phone. And I like the Motorola's software/hardware strategy. The add-ons that they've included over Android are worth it. No need to download separate apps.

When I want to take a picture or video, 95% of the time, I use the twist gesture.

If I use the Google Now voice commands, I always launch them with "OK Google Now" without touching my phone.

I have a Pebble so Trusted Bluetooth allows me to run without needing my passcode as long as it's connected.

My 9-5 has me at a desk all day so I've got Motorola Connect setup so I can get my SMS, MMS, and call (alerts) on my desktop.

Motorola Assist keeps my phone quiet while I'm sleeping.

I'd rather have Active Display over an LED notification light.

And the overall interface feels pure Android (vs. pure Google). I have the Google Now Launcher on my Nexus 7 (2012), but I'm probably going to switch back.
    My only worrys about a moto x right now is that we are probably close to a new version of the phone. But we don't know if that's going to be full priced or at a price closer 400 dollars like the original is now off contract.

I'm also very nervous about how lenovos going to handle this phones updates. Even if I get the dev version of this phone.
    Ry

Global Posts
    9,157 Global Posts

My only worrys about a moto x right now is that we are probably close to a new version of the phone. But we don't know if that's going to be full priced or at a price closer 400 dollars like the original is now off contract.

I'm also very nervous about how lenovos going to handle this phones updates. Even if I get the dev version of this phone.
    As long as Punit Soni is on board (no signs that he'll leave once the Lenovo deal is final), I have faith that Motorola under Lenovo will be as aggressive with OS updates as they were under Google.

And a Nexus 5 follow up is probably 2 or 3 months after the Moto X follow up. There is always going to be something newer/better around the corner.

23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

As long as Punit Soni is on board (no signs that he'll leave once the Lenovo deal is final), I have faith that Motorola under Lenovo will be as aggressive with OS updates as they were under Google.

And a Nexus 5 follow up is probably 2 or 3 months after the Moto X follow up. There is always going to be something newer/better around the corner.
    Yeah, I know that there's always something better around the corner. But if it's close enough I thought maybe it was worth waiting for. Not sure