Best off contract phones right now?

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
So, my parents recently have changed out phone plan to where we dont get regular subsidies anymore. Now we need to do the ATT Next upgrade plans in order to get new phones because it saved a lot on our phone bill or something. I dont know how I feel about it, but its there plan, not mine so I have to go along with it.

Now im stuck with either doing a installment plan paying off the full price of a phone or going with buying a phone outright for full price, wether that be through att or a off contract option.

my question is, since im looking to pick up a android phone, whats the best option(s) for me if I need to buy one outright and maybe even off contract?

The nexus 5 i found to have pretty middling battery life, which I can make work I guess if I carry a battery pack on longer days with me, but would be interested in something with better battery life. is the Nexus 5 the best option?

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Available right now?

Nexus 5 and Moto X.

a moto x is tempting because of the battery life, but its successor is coming up in the next month or two probably. but who knows how much that will be off contract. probably full price (600-700 dollars.)

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
The LG G2 gets significantly better battery life than the N5. Costs a bit more, but I think it's worth it for improved battery life and camera.

You might also want to look at the Moto X and Moto G. Both are very good phones.

Sent from my G2 running SOKP

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
The LG G2 gets significantly better battery life than the N5. Costs a bit more, but I think it's worth it for improved battery life and camera.

You might also want to look at the Moto X and Moto G. Both are very good phones.

Sent from my G2 running SOKP

my complaint with the G2 is the LG skin. I dont know how much a launcher like nova prime would fix that.

The Moto G honestly dosent have enough storage and the lack of LTE and the screen I think are deal breakers for me.

out of the 2 I think the Moto X and Nexus 5 would be the ones I like the most. Moto X i am unsure how many more updates itll get and how the now aging hardware will hold up over time and the Nexus 5 has that battery life issue. but as i said, I can maybe manage the battery life with a external battery or just make sure I keep an eye on it and charge when I can.

Maybe I should just save for a flagship phone off contract, but im not too interested in spending 600 dollars right now outright.

Zacharyw70

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
Moto G is a great price at $199 if you don't want to be spending a lot but still want a quality phone. For $50 more the LG Optimus G while older is still a great buy, it offers a better camera, slightly larger screen, 4G LTE, and also expandable storage for not much more.

Moto X and the Nexus 5 will be those more expensive options that while costing more will offer a more premium experience.

Here's the link to the LG Optimus G for reference. It's available at Amazon with no annual contract.
Amazon.com: LG Optimus G, Black 32GB (AT&T): Cell Phones & Accessories

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Moto G is a great price at $199 if you don't want to be spending a lot but still want a quality phone. For $50 more the LG Optimus G while older is still a great buy, it offers a better camera, slightly larger screen, 4G LTE, and also expandable storage for not much more.

Moto X and the Nexus 5 will be those more expensive options that while costing more will offer a more premium experience.

Here's the link to the LG Optimus G for reference. It's available at Amazon with no annual contract.
Amazon.com: LG Optimus G, Black 32GB (AT&T): Cell Phones & Accessories

its kinda hard for me to wrap my head around using a moto g coming from a iphone 5S. call me crazy, but I cant see a 200 dollar phone being very good.

Im probaly going to just pick up a nexus 5 again. I dont think I can go without LTE or a 1080P screen anymore. plus itll get continued updates for the foreseeable future and I dont think a nexus 6 will hit until november or so.

or theres the other side of the equation and thats I could just keep using my iphone 5S for the time being until I can afford a pricier android phone :/

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Part of me thinks it could be a decent idea to sell the iphone 5S for about 500 or so on ebay (dont know what a 32gb space gray 5S is going for these days) and just pick up a cheaper android handset and pocket the difference. but I dont want to feel like im downgrading in performance, enjoyment and experience.

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
The LG G2 is now falling into the budget category especially now with the imminent release of the G3.

It's still a cracking device from what I have read. Can't really make big claims as I haven't owned one.

But certainly worth considering.

Posted via Android Central App

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Yeah...... If you have issues with the battery in the Nexus 5, but don't care for the G2's UI, get yourself an unlocked G2 and flash a custom ROM like Liquid Smooth or OSE. Problem solved.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
my complaint with the G2 is the LG skin. I dont know how much a launcher like nova prime would fix that.

As someone who uses Nova Prime on a G2, it is a fantastic combo. I came from a Moto X, which I loved, and I wouldn't go back. The G2 is totally worth the extra $60 over the 32 GB Moto X.

Posted via Android Central App

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Moto X, Nexus 5 or One PLUS One. On the cheap: Moto G.

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Out of those which would you pick?

Personally, the Moto X. I want the smaller phone. And I like the Motorola's software/hardware strategy. The add-ons that they've included over Android are worth it. No need to download separate apps.

When I want to take a picture or video, 95% of the time, I use the twist gesture.

If I use the Google Now voice commands, I always launch them with "OK Google Now" without touching my phone.

I have a Pebble so Trusted Bluetooth allows me to run without needing my passcode as long as it's connected.

My 9-5 has me at a desk all day so I've got Motorola Connect setup so I can get my SMS, MMS, and call (alerts) on my desktop.

Motorola Assist keeps my phone quiet while I'm sleeping.

I'd rather have Active Display over an LED notification light.

And the overall interface feels pure Android (vs. pure Google). I have the Google Now Launcher on my Nexus 7 (2012), but I'm probably going to switch back.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000